News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,723 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #3000 on: April 05, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 04, 2016, 05:43:43 PM
CT said it best,  Eli
Quote from: CT III on May 14, 2015, 09:10:43 PM
The big club is interesting again, you weird minor league following pederasts can close this thread down now.

Exactly.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3001 on: April 05, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 05, 2016, 08:15:31 AM
CT said it best,  Eli
The big club is interesting again, you weird minor league following pederasts can close this thread down now.

Exactly.

I mean I'm going to go to quite a few Iowa Cubs games and I don't mind the occasional update on how some guys are doing but the days of breathlessly following minor league rosters and box scores are done for now as far as I'm concerned.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3002 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 05, 2016, 08:34:03 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

I mean I'm going to go to quite a few Iowa Cubs games and I don't mind the occasional update on how some guys are doing but the days of breathlessly following minor league rosters and box scores are done for now as far as I'm concerned.

I was obviously kidding when I said to lock the thread, but it's true that most of the system will be depth pieces or trade bait in the next 3 years. I think the most interesting outcome will be if (when?) Theo pulls his first huge trade to consolidate some of this talent/depth into a big major-league piece.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3003 on: April 05, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 05, 2016, 09:46:17 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

I was obviously kidding when I said to lock the thread, but it's true that most of the system will be depth pieces or trade bait in the next 3 years. I think the most interesting outcome will be if (when?) Theo pulls his first huge trade to consolidate some of this talent/depth into a big major-league piece.

Understanding that they are all mostly trade pieces with the exception of any catching or pitching depth they manage to develop, I just think it's nice to know what's in the cupboard come July 31.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3004 on: April 05, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 05, 2016, 10:05:17 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

Understanding that they are all mostly trade pieces with the exception of any catching or pitching depth they manage to develop, I just think it's nice to know what's in the cupboard come July 31.

Considering that they traded Castro and at least entertained offers for Baez and Soler this offseason, I don't know that it's fair to say that none of these guys are going to be key pieces on future teams.  Certainly all the pitchers are in play and a handful of the top hitters probably shouldn't be ruled out (Gleyber, Happ, Eloy, Eddy Julio, Contreras, even Almora with Fowler only on a 1-year deal--that might be it.) 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3005 on: April 05, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 05, 2016, 11:01:54 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

Considering that they traded Castro and at least entertained offers for Baez and Soler this offseason, I don't know that it's fair to say that none of these guys are going to be key pieces on future teams.  Certainly all the pitchers are in play and a handful of the top hitters probably shouldn't be ruled out (Gleyber, Happ, Eloy, Eddy Julio, Contreras, even Almora with Fowler only on a 1-year deal--that might be it.)

Yeah I don't get this prospect apathy at all. Fowler, Zobrist, Montero may all be gone/not good due to age within the next year or two. I don't think winning now has to be at odds with prospects actually coming up and playing. As evidenced by the 2015 Cubs.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3006 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2016, 11:43:33 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

Considering that they traded Castro and at least entertained offers for Baez and Soler this offseason, I don't know that it's fair to say that none of these guys are going to be key pieces on future teams.  Certainly all the pitchers are in play and a handful of the top hitters probably shouldn't be ruled out (Gleyber, Happ, Eloy, Eddy Julio, Contreras, even Almora with Fowler only on a 1-year deal--that might be it.)

Yeah I don't get this prospect apathy at all. Fowler, Zobrist, Montero may all be gone/not good due to age within the next year or two. I don't think winning now has to be at odds with prospects actually coming up and playing. As evidenced by the 2015 Cubs.

I don't know that it's apathy so much as "who really cares about the roster of the South Bend Cubs?" Pen can post in here when Ian Happ hits another dong or Gleyber is hitting .300, but as for MAN THAT SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD LOOKS STRONG or whatever, who gives a shit? Those games don't matter, and they're not close to being the most interesting thing about the org like they used to be.

If I can project on Eli and make an assumption based on his general line of thinking, I think his problem is that getting too invested in these minor league teams and players at this point is just going to lead to more prospect hugging and bitching whenever Theo inevitably moves players in a deadline deal. I mean I could give two shits if Gleyber Torres was traded for pitching tomorrow, but someone's definitely going to say HOW COULD THEO DO THAT, and that already pisses me off.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3007 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 05, 2016, 11:49:03 AM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

Considering that they traded Castro and at least entertained offers for Baez and Soler this offseason, I don't know that it's fair to say that none of these guys are going to be key pieces on future teams.  Certainly all the pitchers are in play and a handful of the top hitters probably shouldn't be ruled out (Gleyber, Happ, Eloy, Eddy Julio, Contreras, even Almora with Fowler only on a 1-year deal--that might be it.)

I don't know that it's apathy so much as "who really cares about the roster of the South Bend Cubs?" Pen can post in here when Ian Happ hits another dong or Gleyber is hitting .300, but as for MAN THAT SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD LOOKS STRONG or whatever, who gives a shit? Those games don't matter, and they're not close to being the most interesting thing about the org like they used to be.

If I can project on Eli and make an assumption based on his general line of thinking, I think his problem is that getting too invested in these minor league teams and players at this point is just going to lead to more prospect hugging and bitching whenever Theo inevitably moves players in a deadline deal. I mean I could give two shits if Gleyber Torres was traded for pitching tomorrow, but someone's definitely going to say HOW COULD THEO DO THAT, and that already pisses me off.

Well, last year at the trade deadline they really needed a 5th starter, though a 3 or 4 would have been better - and might have contributed in the playoffs. But they weren't in a position or mind state to trade anything more than what they gave up for Haren, who was pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. Would that they'd had a highly-touted and validated prospect or two, blocked at the big league level that they could have flipped for someone who threw harder than 88 mph tops. If such people exist, I'd be happy to know about it. If anybody freaks out when those players are dealt, that freak should be dealt with accordingly. But I won't discourage people who like minor league baseball from posting here so that I can stay marginally informed about the situation.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3008 on: April 05, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 05, 2016, 12:14:26 PM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

Well, last year at the trade deadline they really needed a 5th starter, though a 3 or 4 would have been better - and might have contributed in the playoffs. But they weren't in a position or mind state to trade anything more than what they gave up for Haren, who was pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. Would that they'd had a highly-touted and validated prospect or two, blocked at the big league level that they could have flipped for someone who threw harder than 88 mph tops. If such people exist, I'd be happy to know about it. If anybody freaks out when those players are dealt, that freak should be dealt with accordingly. But I won't discourage people who like minor league baseball from posting here so that I can stay marginally informed about the situation.

This is Desipio, the whole point is to encourage people not to post about things until eventually we get the beloved silence we've always wanted.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3009 on: April 05, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 05, 2016, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on April 05, 2016, 12:14:26 PM
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

This is Desipio, the whole point is to encourage people not to post about things until eventually we get the beloved silence we've always wanted.

I'm about to drop 5000 words on my minor league prospect blog about Tommy Thorpe if y'all want to read it. 

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3010 on: April 05, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
CT said it best,  Eli

Exactly.

There is a lot of interesting and intriguing pitching in the lower minor leagues right now that we all should be keeping our eyes on.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3011 on: April 05, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
I really don't think anyone who frequents this site or who has anything other than shit for brains will freak out if the Cubs trade Gleyber or Contreras for a Sonny Gray/Tyson Ross level starter.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3012 on: April 05, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2016, 12:34:50 PM
I really don't think anyone who frequents this site or who has anything other than shit for brains will freak out if the Cubs trade Gleyber or Contreras for a Sonny Gray/Tyson Ross level starter.

Tyson Ross was terrible yesterday, so I don't want to do that trade.

If he's better next time, then I'm back in.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3013 on: April 05, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

Does it need to be that high? What if it's a guy that's just a pretty solid number 3 with multiple years of control? Are we going to bitch, or think maybe Epstoyer knows something about the guy's ceiling we don't?

That's a different kind of prospect hugging. The Cubs will probably overpay in prospects at some point for somebody and it'll be okay because they need whatever they trade for more than they need the redundant prospects they trade, even if your latest Baseball America ranking says the Cubs got jobbed or whatever.

I mean it's cool that Gleyber is highly rated but he's also drawn Freddy Sanchez comps. That guy was a fine player but I can't blame the Indians if they don't think that's worth a #1 starter, but I worry people are going to bitch at Theo if he trades Freddy Jr for a #3 starter at the deadline that they need because Lackey swallowed a big ass bug and Jason Hammel is doing that Jason Hammel thing and somebody finally figured out that Kyle Hendricks is really hittable.

Hence the reason I'm just good with the guys we have and willing to let things come as they may with where the next crop ends up in this organization or anyone else's.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3014 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 05, 2016, 12:56:13 PM

Does it need to be that high? What if it's a guy that's just a pretty solid number 3 with multiple years of control? Are we going to bitch, or think maybe Epstoyer knows something about the guy's ceiling we don't?

That's a different kind of prospect hugging. The Cubs will probably overpay in prospects at some point for somebody and it'll be okay because they need whatever they trade for more than they need the redundant prospects they trade, even if your latest Baseball America ranking says the Cubs got jobbed or whatever.

I mean it's cool that Gleyber is highly rated but he's also drawn Freddy Sanchez comps. That guy was a fine player but I can't blame the Indians if they don't think that's worth a #1 starter, but I worry people are going to bitch at Theo if he trades Freddy Jr for a #3 starter at the deadline that they need because Lackey swallowed a big ass bug and Jason Hammel is doing that Jason Hammel thing and somebody finally figured out that Kyle Hendricks is really hittable.

Hence the reason I'm just good with the guys we have and willing to let things come as they may with where the next crop ends up in this organization or anyone else's.

Absolutely. The only guys I would have a sad over for a short while would be Contreras (because if he's as good as he showed last year, that's one of the hardest commodities to find in the game) and Cease (because the thought of a homegrown ace who throws 98-100 regularly is fun).

If the Indians are going to contend this year as a lot of people think they will, why would they want to trade any of their arms? And if they did because their offense sucks, I assume they will be looking for a more established bat than Soler or Baez.