News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,691 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #3015 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2016, 12:34:50 PM
I really don't think anyone who frequents this site or who has anything other than shit for brains will freak out if the Cubs trade Gleyber or Contreras for a Sonny Gray/Tyson Ross level starter.

Oh, somebody will, at least for a moment. But yeah, I think most people here understand the purpose of a farm system is to provide the big league club with talent, whether it's through trade or promotion.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3016 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 05, 2016, 02:32:49 PM
I really don't think anyone who frequents this site or who has anything other than shit for brains will freak out if the Cubs trade Gleyber or Contreras for a Sonny Gray/Tyson Ross level starter.

Oh, somebody will, at least for a moment. But yeah, I think most people here understand the purpose of a farm system is to provide the big league club with talent, whether it's through trade or promotion.

That's a big assumption, because we have all spent approximately 20 years under the shadow of the pre-Theo front office. We learned that winters are bitter, and summers are filled with cold light shining on prospects who are mostly just padding their resumes for baseball in Japan, or jobs as high school gym teachers. We could all list our Top 5 favourite failed prospects, and we might not even have many names crossing over onto multiple lists.
M'lady.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3017 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 05, 2016, 06:56:02 PM

That's a big assumption, because we have all spent approximately 20 years under the shadow of the pre-Theo front office. We learned that winters are bitter, and summers are filled with cold light shining on prospects who are mostly just padding their resumes for baseball in Japan, or jobs as high school gym teachers. We could all list our Top 5 favourite failed prospects, and we might not even have many names crossing over onto multiple lists.

Man, why you gotta bring up old shit?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3018 on: April 06, 2016, 05:24:12 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 05, 2016, 11:06:00 PM

Because I spent my formative years believing in players like Roosevelt Brown and Courtney Duncan, okay? You don't just come back from shit like that!
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3019 on: April 06, 2016, 07:21:37 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 06, 2016, 05:24:12 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 05, 2016, 11:06:00 PM

Because I spent my formative years believing in players like Roosevelt Brown and Courtney Duncan, okay? You don't just come back from shit like that!

The great thing about the Cubs being so fucking stacked is that anybody who gets the call to crack this roster is going to have to be really fucking good, David Ross notwithstanding.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3020 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
I'd still like to hear about how the prospects are doing.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3021 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:28 PM »
Eloy Jiminez walks off with a HR:  https://youtu.be/LeVa3wBJ3dM

Ian (!!!) Happ walks off with a long double to center:  https://youtu.be/O3PSsAjQEOA
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3022 on: April 12, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 12, 2016, 12:30:28 PM

Ian (!!!) Happ walks off with a long double to center:  https://youtu.be/O3PSsAjQEOA

4 hits and 2 steals for Eloy tonight.

2 hits and 2 steals for Donnie Dewees.

2 more hits for Ian Happ.

Great bounce back start from Ryan Williams in Iowa after getting shelled on Opening Day. 

Nice start from Carson Sands in SB, just turned 21.

As young and talented as some of these guys are, it really puts into perspective Addison Russell, who isn't much older and doing this at the major league level.

Sands and Eloy are totally legit prospects, on a completely appropriate trajectory, and they're miles behind Russell despite being only 10 (Sands) and 22 months (Eloy) younger.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3023 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 12, 2016, 09:56:04 PM

Great bounce back start from Ryan Williams in Iowa after getting shelled on Opening Day. 

As young and talented as some of these guys are, it really puts into perspective Addison Russell, who isn't much older and doing this at the major league level.

Sands and Eloy are totally legit prospects, on a completely appropriate trajectory, and they're miles behind Russell despite being only 10 (Sands) and 22 months (Eloy) younger.

Not sure if *only 22 months* is a thing. That's essentially 2 years.

But to back your point, I don't see Jimenez being in the majors in less than 2 years.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3024 on: April 13, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 13, 2016, 10:32:28 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 12, 2016, 09:56:04 PM

Not sure if *only 22 months* is a thing. That's essentially 2 years.

But to back your point, I don't see Jimenez being in the majors in less than 2 years.

Well, Russell was in the majors almost a year ago (debuted 4/21/15). So let's see where Eloy is 10 months from now. Which is when Sands will be the age that Russell is now. And Russell will be the age that Schwarber is now. And Schwarber will hopefully be preparing to start raking again in the Cactus League. Amen.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3025 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »
* whispers *

Albert Almora is slashing .341/.396/.463/.859 with 5 walks in 46 Plate Appearances
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3026 on: April 22, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 22, 2016, 11:26:26 AM
* whispers *

Albert Almora is slashing .341/.396/.463/.859 with 5 walks in 46 Plate Appearances

I noticed that as well. Setting aside the offense for a second - because I'm sure Eli will be along momentarily to give us league-adjusted numbers that tell us Almora actually sucks - I'm having visions of a Fowler/Almora/Heyward late-game defensive alignment in September & October. That would be a Pirates/Royals level defensive outfield.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3027 on: April 22, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 22, 2016, 11:44:21 AM
* whispers *

I noticed that as well. Setting aside the offense for a second - because I'm sure Eli will be along momentarily to give us league-adjusted numbers that tell us Almora actually sucks - I'm having visions of a Fowler/Almora/Heyward late-game defensive alignment in September & October. That would be a Pirates/Royals level defensive outfield.

The year is young...but, considering Fowler's success in a Cubs uniform to date and his apparent affection by and for his teammates off the field, do the Cubs have a decision to make about CF in 2017?

Sorry for looking ahead, but it's a legit question I think.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3028 on: April 22, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 22, 2016, 11:51:25 AM
Quote from: R-V on April 22, 2016, 11:44:21 AM
* whispers *

The year is young...but, considering Fowler's success in a Cubs uniform to date and his apparent affection by and for his teammates off the field, do the Cubs have a decision to make about CF in 2017?

Sorry for looking ahead, but it's a legit question I think.

Who knows. I have no idea what the market will be for Fowler given how badly we underestimated it this year. I think the "Heyward in Center For a Year or Two" option would still work too if they don't want to hand anything to Almora, provided Schwarber comes back healthy enough to play left next year and Jorge hopefully locks down right field full time. Either way it'll be an interesting situation to monitor.

Also RV I definitely think we'll see Almora as a September call up for defense alone.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3029 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
Here's a somewhat unrelated thought: if Fowler hadn't shocked us all and come back at the last minute, then the Schwarber injury would've felt a lot more catastrophic than it did at the time.

(Although, if Fowler hadn't come back, who's to say if that collision would've happened with Heyward? Or maybe it would've been even worse, with both Schwabe and Heyward injured?)
M'lady.