News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: National Tonkoon's Vacation  ( 51,767 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: National Tonkoon's Vacation
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
Seriously, Tonk - don't go to any of these places they're recommending.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »

Just go to TJ Slaky's and get the bearded clam strips.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 09, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
Just because I like to plan shit up front, I have a couple of questions about the two road trips we're thinking of doing: one to Nashville and one to Colorado (assuming for a moment that Oleg is still there at the end of July).

I'm expecting to split the CO trip into two days' travelling, and on the way out we'll probably overnight in KC: Eli has promised to show us some BBBQ there.  On the way back, though, it might be nice to go another way.  Is the route via Omaha/Des Moines flat and boring the whole way?  Or is there something worth seeing en route?  Where would be good to overnight?

Secondly: Tennessee.  This, we can definitely do in a day on the Interstate, I reckon: but I'm open to taking it slower if it's worth it.  Is there anything to see, or is the area around the IL/IN border something that needs to be going by in a blur?

Can anybody recommend a good hire car company, by the way?

Look Zombie Burger has a burger with a fried mac and cheese bun, or a burger topped with a croquette of chili, and it's got very good alcoholic milkshakes. Plus if you're coming this summer you can meet Fork's grandson. That's my final offer.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 09, 2015, 03:37:48 PM
Just because I like to plan shit up front, I have a couple of questions about the two road trips we're thinking of doing: one to Nashville and one to Colorado (assuming for a moment that Oleg is still there at the end of July).

I'm expecting to split the CO trip into two days' travelling, and on the way out we'll probably overnight in KC: Eli has promised to show us some BBBQ there.  On the way back, though, it might be nice to go another way.  Is the route via Omaha/Des Moines flat and boring the whole way?  Or is there something worth seeing en route?  Where would be good to overnight?

Secondly: Tennessee.  This, we can definitely do in a day on the Interstate, I reckon: but I'm open to taking it slower if it's worth it.  Is there anything to see, or is the area around the IL/IN border something that needs to be going by in a blur?

Look Zombie Burger has a burger with a fried mac and cheese bun, or a burger topped with a croquette of chili, and it's got very good alcoholic milkshakes. Plus if you're coming this summer you can meet Fork's grandson. That's my final offer.

Take an extra belt.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 09, 2015, 03:08:38 PM
Seriously, Tonk, - don't go to any of these places they're recommending. from Denver, go down I-25 and then head West on I-40. In Flagstaff, go south on I-17 and exit at Carefree Highway. Head East about 10 miles or so. Then go for a nice 5-mile run and hike, play a round of golf at Tatum Ranch and ask yourself, it not passed out from heat exhaustion or dehydration: "Won't I miss this place?" On second thought, take me with.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 09, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
Seriously, Tonk, - don't go to any of these places they're recommending. from Denver, go down I-25 and then head West on I-40. In Flagstaff, go south on I-17 and exit at Carefree Highway. Head East about 10 miles or so. Then go for a nice 5-mile run and hike, play a round of golf at Tatum Ranch and ask yourself, it not passed out from heat exhaustion or dehydration: "Won't I miss this place?" On second thought, take me with.

Whoa...whoa. 

If you're gonna do it, go through 4 Corners and down through Navajo Nation. 

Better drive.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2015, 03:56:14 PM »

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
But seriously, Pen is useless.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 09, 2015, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 09, 2015, 02:52:16 PM
There's a Whitey's Ice Cream in the Coralville Mall just off of I-80 right after Iowa City. Chuck is actually not wrong on this.

Whitey's is good, but there's nothing else in Coralville in terms of sites or food. Why stop out there when there's a Whitey's in downtown IC?

I've driven past the Coralville mall (exit 240?), but never been in there.  Downtown IC is exactly what you'd expect.  A town with 5 buildings from 1850 and 20 buildings built between 1940 and 2010.  And they have a Whitey's.

* This is one in Bettendorf.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 09, 2015, 03:04:41 PM

Go down to Nashville via I-55 (which is kind of out of the way) so you can do Springfield, as Fork suggests. New Salem, the Abraham Lincoln home and the Abe Lincoln museum are all relatively inexpensive and Lincoln is kind of a big deal here in Illinois. From Springfield, zip across I-72 to Decatur, do not breathe through your nostrils, and go south on 57 to I-24, which will take you into Nashville.

Head back via I-65. You will be close to Mammoth Cave, the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Churchill Downs, the Louisville Slugger Factory, architecturally significant Buttpuddle (Apex tour book not included), Indianapolis (the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a top notch Children's Museum), and a boring but not so bad three hours back to downtown Chicago via the smokestacks, steel mills, corn processing plants and oil refineries of GaryHammondEastChicagoWhiting. If you go east a ways from 65 on 94, you can also see the Indiana Dunes and the Michigan Shoreline. Nice beaches, plus the culturally insignificant burg of Hobart on the way. You could also continue further east on the Indiana Toll Road to South Bend and Notre Dame if that sort of thing appeals to you, but really that's way out of the way for little payback.

Another thought would be to detour yourself through Cinicnnati on the way there or back, especially because the Reds will host the Cubs July 20-22 at the Great American Ballpark. Across the river from Cincinnati is Covington, which has a modest "Germantown" if anyone into your family is into that sort of thing. It's been years (Riverfront Stadium was visible across the river; Paul Brown Stadium and the GABP were not) but I had a good meal at a restaurant there once.  From Cincy, it's about 2 hours to Indy, and another 3 to Chicago.

Speaking of trips out of town to see the Cubs, they are in Milwaukee 7/30 through 8/2.

Well if you do Springfield, allow me to be the tour guide. I have exemptions so I can visit those places despite the children present. I have at least one great food destination in Springfield for you.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 09, 2015, 07:16:18 PM

Go down to Nashville via I-55 (which is kind of out of the way) so you can do Springfield, as Fork suggests. New Salem, the Abraham Lincoln home and the Abe Lincoln museum are all relatively inexpensive and Lincoln is kind of a big deal here in Illinois. From Springfield, zip across I-72 to Decatur, do not breathe through your nostrils, and go south on 57 to I-24, which will take you into Nashville.

Head back via I-65. You will be close to Mammoth Cave, the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Churchill Downs, the Louisville Slugger Factory, architecturally significant Buttpuddle (Apex tour book not included), Indianapolis (the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a top notch Children's Museum), and a boring but not so bad three hours back to downtown Chicago via the smokestacks, steel mills, corn processing plants and oil refineries of GaryHammondEastChicagoWhiting. If you go east a ways from 65 on 94, you can also see the Indiana Dunes and the Michigan Shoreline. Nice beaches, plus the culturally insignificant burg of Hobart on the way. You could also continue further east on the Indiana Toll Road to South Bend and Notre Dame if that sort of thing appeals to you, but really that's way out of the way for little payback.

Another thought would be to detour yourself through Cinicnnati on the way there or back, especially because the Reds will host the Cubs July 20-22 at the Great American Ballpark. Across the river from Cincinnati is Covington, which has a modest "Germantown" if anyone into your family is into that sort of thing. It's been years (Riverfront Stadium was visible across the river; Paul Brown Stadium and the GABP were not) but I had a good meal at a restaurant there once.  From Cincy, it's about 2 hours to Indy, and another 3 to Chicago.

Speaking of trips out of town to see the Cubs, they are in Milwaukee 7/30 through 8/2.

Well if you do Springfield, allow me to be the tour guide. I have exemptions so I can visit those places despite the children present. I have at least one great food destination in Springfield for you.

N.B. Forrest's Extra-Mild Chili and Mayonnaise Sandwich Emporium?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
If you're passing Paxton on I-57, Just Hamburgers is pretty great.  Cash only.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 09, 2015, 08:34:05 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 09, 2015, 07:16:18 PM

N.B. Forrest's Extra-Mild Chili and Mayonnaise Sandwich Emporium?

Something about them having a play pen. [/effort]

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:56 AM »
I do wonder whether anybody has ever taken in Springfield, IL, as a tourist destination.  I mean... anybody.

EVER.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.