News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mad Men - New Season  ( 41,068 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mad Men - New Season
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
"Ballgame."
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
I wonder if anything substantial is going to happen in these next three episodes.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 05, 2014, 04:45:50 PM
I wonder if anything substantial is going to happen in these next three episodes.

I feel like Don is at the brink of total self-destruction. A nice tidy ending like we got with Uncle Junior in the loony bin may not be forthcoming for many of these characters. The series might end without closure for everybody except Don and the idea of substantial things happening might be something we ought not hope for.

As for the next three eps, I'm going to guess that something major will happen but that not everyone will be affected by it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 05, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

I feel like Don is at the brink of total self-destruction. A nice tidy ending like we got with Uncle Junior in the loony bin may not be forthcoming for many of these characters. The series might end without closure for everybody except Don and the idea of substantial things happening might be something we ought not hope for.

As for the next three eps, I'm going to guess that something major will happen but that not everyone will be affected by it.

I'm just saying that I'll be bummed if this half-season winds up being just a big 2015 cock tease.

I mean, I'm sure it's gonna be a huge cock tease. I just hope it's not only that.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »

This show has turned into the perfect background for folding laundry.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
I'm actually really enjoying this season. I trashed some of the previous ones but I'm riveted right now. Maybe it's just the acting. Not sure what you guys are so bummed about.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2014, 09:04:19 AM
I'm actually really enjoying this season. I trashed some of the previous ones but I'm riveted right now. Maybe it's just the acting. Not sure what you guys are so bummed about.

Rich guy who still draws a paycheck and owns equity in a valuable company is forced to go back to work because he doesn't want to be with his insanely hot younger wife in California.

Yeah, the stakes right now are really, really high.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 06, 2014, 09:13:42 AM

Rich guy who still draws a paycheck and owns equity in a valuable company is forced to go back to work because he doesn't want to be with his insanely hot younger wife in California.

He has the same problems he's had since the very beginning and he's rotted out from the very core. This is the same show it's always been. If you liked it before, what don't you like now? I mean, I've always folded laundry to this show. It's not like it was True Detective, don't blink, don't miss a single second of Don and Roger drinking and talking about finger blasting secretaries. Don used to be tolerated because his creativity made people money. Now he's a liability. The insanely hot younger wife told him to go fuck himself. That's what happens, Larry. When you fuck a stranger in the ass.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

I think I'm less bummed about the show itself so much as I'm bummed about the fact that we're already over halfway through the 2014 episodes.

And then maybe this split season has raised my expectations a bit in terms of what they might have done with these 7 episodes.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
Well, I guess they've already shot all the episodes in one go:

QuoteThe show's creator, Matthew Weiner, will shoot all the episodes in one production cycle, so in effect, AMC will simply be storing away the last seven episodes for a year.

So I guess so much for hoping it might free them up to give each half that extra bit of love. Spin from Weiner aside:

QuoteIn a statement, Mr. Weiner said, "We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience."

AMCtink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 06, 2014, 10:23:09 AM

QuoteThe show's creator, Matthew Weiner, will shoot all the episodes in one production cycle, so in effect, AMC will simply be storing away the last seven episodes for a year.

So I guess so much for hoping it might free them up to give each half that extra bit of love. Spin from Weiner aside:

QuoteIn a statement, Mr. Weiner said, "We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience."

AMCtink is terrible.

They want the final seasons of Mad Men and Breaking Bad to not compete for Emmy's. So what? I mean, I'm bummed I'll have to wait til next year, but it makes sense from the awards sense

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2014, 09:39:14 AM

He has the same problems he's had since the very beginning and he's rotted out from the very core. This is the same show it's always been. If you liked it before, what don't you like now? I mean, I've always folded laundry to this show. It's not like it was True Detective, don't blink, don't miss a single second of Don and Roger drinking and talking about finger blasting secretaries. Don used to be tolerated because his creativity made people money. Now he's a liability. The insanely hot younger wife told him to go fuck himself. That's what happens, Larry. When you fuck a stranger in the ass.

Yeah, I don't understand this Chuck complaint at all. This has never been a plot-driven show. It's the TV equivalent of navel-gazing literary fiction, with outstanding writing that makes me laugh out loud more than any other show currently on the air. None of that has changed this season. From a character standpoint, Don is finally making an effort (although for the most part it's been a lurching, two steps forward, one and a half steps backward effort) to not pick up shop and run away from every problem like the hobo that he always has been. He's given his coworkers and his kids a glimpse into Dick Whitman's childhood. He finally owned up to losing his job to Megan. And given Freddy's backstory and Don's history I think Freddy's instruction to DO THE WORK, and Don's ability to actually swallow his pride and do it, was a sign that Don might just be able to get his shit together a bit before Ken bumps into the computer in the season finale, setting off a slapstick chain of events that ends with Don falling out the window.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 06, 2014, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2014, 09:39:14 AM

Yeah, I don't understand this Chuck complaint at all. This has never been a plot-driven show. It's the TV equivalent of navel-gazing literary fiction, with outstanding writing that makes me laugh out loud more than any other show currently on the air. None of that has changed this season. From a character standpoint, Don is finally making an effort (although for the most part it's been a lurching, two steps forward, one and a half steps backward effort) to not pick up shop and run away from every problem like the hobo that he always has been. He's given his coworkers and his kids a glimpse into Dick Whitman's childhood. He finally owned up to losing his job to Megan. And given Freddy's backstory and Don's history I think Freddy's instruction to DO THE WORK, and Don's ability to actually swallow his pride and do it, was a sign that Don might just be able to get his shit together a bit before Ken bumps into the computer in the season finale, setting off a slapstick chain of events that ends with Don falling out the window.

Needs more lawnmower accidents. /Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 06, 2014, 12:25:57 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 06, 2014, 10:23:09 AM

AMCtink is terrible.

They want the final seasons of Mad Men and Breaking Bad to not compete for Emmy's. So what? I mean, I'm bummed I'll have to wait til next year, but it makes sense from the awards sense

The Emmys? That's retarded.

Breaking Bad's final season was at least split up over two years for creative reasons. Albeit not without some AMC-related drama...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad_(season_5)#Development_and_production

QuoteIn July 2011, series creator Vince Gilligan indicated that he intended to conclude Breaking Bad with the fifth season. In early August 2011, negotiations began over a deal regarding the fifth and possibly final season between AMC and Sony Pictures Television, the production company of the series. AMC proposed a shortened fifth season (six to eight episodes, instead of thirteen) to cut costs, but the producers declined. Sony then approached other cable networks about possibly picking up the show if a deal could not be made. On August 14, 2011, a deal was made in which AMC renewed the series for a final 16-episode season. Filming began for the season on March 26, 2012. Filming for the second half of the season began on December 7, 2012, during which AMC sent the cast and crew cupcakes decorated with characters and props used throughout the show's run.

Vince Gilligan explained that the season was split at his request in order to have more time to write the final episodes. Thomas Schnauz revealed that the writers initially tried to conceive a 16-episode arc in advance of completing the first eight episodes, but that most of these plans were scrapped as new plot points emerged "that threw everything into a little bit of chaos."

With Mad Men, it seems like it's all about AMC...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/11/mad-men-season-7-matt-weiner_n_4944240.html

QuoteYou didn't consult with ["Breaking Bad" creator] Vince Gilligan, "Hey, what's the deal with this split season?"

You know what, his was a totally different circumstance. We're obviously doing [the split season] because "Breaking Bad" did it, but Vince did it for totally different reasons. He said, "I can't give you all those episodes at once, I need time off in between. I can give you some now and some later."

For us, we're doing them all at once. I've shut down production for three weeks to catch up on scripts -- that was planned in the schedule. But we're doing this all at once. I directed Episode 7 [which wrapped recently], we're taking a break in production and then we start shooting again at the end of March. It's been a very intense experience, and it can be hard to shift gears.

I'm sure it will all wind up great, and I'll probably look like a jerk for bitching as soon as next Sunday.

I guess AMC's constant shenanigans with this shit is just making me a grumpy Pex.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »
That will happen.