News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread  ( 75,621 )

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
I'm stunned to discover Luis Montanez played in that many major league games.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 06, 2010, 03:56:15 PM

They were all 08-09 in Baltimore.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 06, 2010, 04:03:16 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 06, 2010, 03:56:15 PM

They were all 08-09 in Baltimore.

Wait, playing for Baltimore counts as Major League experience? You learn something new every day.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
"Lance Broadway"?  Wasn't he in a recent episode of "Glee"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Quote from: Pre on April 06, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
Had Prior stayed healthy, the Cubs would have done as well in the 1st as any other team than the Phillies.

But he didn't.

I mean, if a plane crashed into Colby Rasmus' house, killing him, the Cardinals'  list would be seriously fucked.  

Come on.  5 out of those  7 guys never even played in a single major league game, and of those 5, only 1 made it as high as AA.  As bad as some of those other names were, many of them at least made the bigs (or, I can assume above double-freaking A).

I'm not asking for our corpulent GM to have drafted guys who were all big-league studs.  Just guys who aren't out of fucking pro baseball within 4 years.

And I like my panties bunched, thankyouverymuch.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 06, 2010, 04:12:32 PM
Had Prior stayed healthy, the Cubs would have done as well in the 1st as any other team than the Phillies.

But he didn't.

I mean, if a plane crashed into Colby Rasmus' house, killing him, the Cardinals'  list would be seriously fucked.  

Come on.  5 out of those  7 guys never even played in a single major league game, and of those 5, only 1 made it as high as AA.  As bad as some of those other names were, many of them at least made the bigs (or, I can assume above double-freaking A).

I'm not asking for our corpulent GM to have drafted guys who were all big-league studs.  Just guys who aren't out of fucking pro baseball within 4 years.

I just ask that he trade guys like Brownlie and Pie when they actually have some fucking value and not afterwards.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 06, 2010, 04:14:47 PM
I just ask that he trade guys like Brownlie and Pie when they actually have some fucking value and not afterwards.

He got Lee for Choi.  You want more?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 06, 2010, 04:44:43 PM

Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez for Ramirez and Lofton was a much, much bigger depantsing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 06, 2010, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: Yeti on April 06, 2010, 03:33:26 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 06, 2010, 03:30:03 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 06, 2010, 03:23:38 PM
That said....if you do want to get depressed, 1st round picks, 1999-2005 (Colvin was 2006)

Year   Name            Current Status                           Total Major League Games
1999   Ben Christiansen   Out of Baseball                                     0
2000   Luis Montanez   Minor Leagues, Baltimore                        67
2001   Mark Prior           Out of Baseball                                    106
2002   Bobby Brownlie   Newark Bears, Independent League        0
2003   Ryan Harvey   AA, Rockies                                              0
2004   Grant Johnson   Gary, Independent League                        0
2005   Mark Pawelek   A, Cincinnati                                             0

Jesus Christ Jim Hendry's a tub of shit.  I already knew who all the draft picks were but seeing that list the way it is makes me want to vomit.

If I'm correct, Hendry hired someone new and that's why the ones from Tyler Colvin to present look decent, right?

Correct.

Not so fast.

QuoteWe didn't really do it by design, as we thought those guys were our best options, talent-wise, when we picked--in the case of Samardzija, one of the best in the whole draft.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »

But he didn't.

When did Brownlie ever have any fucking value? I don't think you can trade a guy before you draft him.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 06, 2010, 04:56:55 PM

But he didn't.

When did Brownlie ever have any fucking value? I don't think you can trade a guy before you draft him.

He had value before the Cubs drafted him; before he blew out his arm.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 06, 2010, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 06, 2010, 04:44:43 PM

Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez for Ramirez and Lofton was a much, much bigger depantsing.

Yes, but people weren't on love with Hill and Jose like they were with Choi.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »

I mean, it's not a _good_ list, but it's pretty much par for the MLB.  I think the Cubs refusal to spend serious
money on scouting and development was a far bigger issue and something to hate the Tribune for.  The
Tribune ran the organization for total shit until the last couple years as they tried to throw on a new coat of
paint to sell.

Except all of the players from the other teams actually made the majors, while the Cubs only had two, none of those teams were as consistently poor as the Cubs were when they were grabbing their first round draft picks (the Cubs won fewer than 70 games in 3 of those seasons, whereas all of those teams were drafting from the middle or end of the first round pretty much every single one of those years) and, most importantly of all ... unlike every team you are comparing them to, the Cubs never won a World Series in the 00's.  Why you'd compare the Cubs draft habits to perpetually successful baseball franchises is beyond me; the comparison totally irrelevant. 

I get that you're not really trying to be an apologist for how ridiculously shitty an appraiser of talent Jim Hendry is, but make no mistake.  Jim Hendry is a ridiculously shitty appraiser of talent. 
M'lady.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
We are going to THROW Jeffery out a window.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 06, 2010, 06:53:11 PM

I mean, it's not a _good_ list, but it's pretty much par for the MLB.  I think the Cubs refusal to spend serious
money on scouting and development was a far bigger issue and something to hate the Tribune for.  The
Tribune ran the organization for total shit until the last couple years as they tried to throw on a new coat of
paint to sell.

Except all of the players from the other teams actually made the majors, while the Cubs only had two, none of those teams were as consistently poor as the Cubs were when they were grabbing their first round draft picks (the Cubs won fewer than 70 games in 3 of those seasons, whereas all of those teams were drafting from the middle or end of the first round pretty much every single one of those years) and, most importantly of all ... unlike every team you are comparing them to, the Cubs never won a World Series in the 00's.  Why you'd compare the Cubs draft habits to perpetually successful baseball franchises is beyond me; the comparison totally irrelevant. 

I get that you're not really trying to be an apologist for how ridiculously shitty an appraiser of talent Jim Hendry is, but make no mistake.  Jim Hendry is a ridiculously shitty appraiser of talent. 

If you were anyone other than you, I'd THIS this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015