News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread  ( 75,624 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on May 08, 2014, 05:10:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 08, 2014, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 08, 2014, 02:29:06 PM
I just hope they move him before the regression hits.

He'll certainly regress in ERA, but his advanced stats like FIP, xFIP are basically right where they have for the past 500 innings or so (which is really good).

I think he'll still be good when the Cubs are contending, so I want him to stay.

Put me on Team Snork.

Thi
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:16 AM »

He'll certainly regress in ERA, but his advanced stats like FIP, xFIP are basically right where they have for the past 500 innings or so (which is really good).

I think he'll still be good when the Cubs are contending, so I want him to stay.

Put me on Team Snork.

Especially if there's any validity to the idea that his arm is fresher after his later start in baseball and being a reliever for a few years.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 08:33:16 AM

Put me on Team Snork.

Especially if there's any validity to the idea that his arm is fresher after his later start in baseball and being a reliever for a few years.

What kind of contract would you sign him to though? The dude wants to get paid beyond his worth or else he'd be locked up until they contend. You guys are out of your fucking minds if you think they should give him what he's looking for.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2014, 09:05:58 AM
What kind of contract would you sign him to though? The dude wants to get paid beyond his worth or else he'd be locked up until they contend. You guys are out of your fucking minds if you think they should give him what he's looking for.

It's a good question. I've heard Homer Bailey's contract (6 years, $105 million) tossed around as a comp. I'd be fine with that range and I'm guessing the Cubs would be, too. Of course, Shark probably isn't fine with that contract, which is why he hasn't been extended yet.

I'd probably go a little higher than that, since good pitching is extremely expensive and will probably only get more expensive.

I also think Theo/Jed are playing both sides here -- they don't want to pay Shark like a true No. 1 starter, but they're asking for No. 1 prices in trade talks. I can't really blame them for hoping one of those sides caves in their favor. Hopefully one does.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 09:32:27 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2014, 09:05:58 AM

It's a good question. I've heard Homer Bailey's contract (6 years, $105 million) tossed around as a comp. I'd be fine with that range and I'm guessing the Cubs would be, too. Of course, Shark probably isn't fine with that contract, which is why he hasn't been extended yet.

I'd probably go a little higher than that, since good pitching is extremely expensive and will probably only get more expensive.

I also think Theo/Jed are playing both sides here -- they don't want to pay Shark like a true No. 1 starter, but they're asking for No. 1 prices in trade talks. I can't really blame them for hoping one of those sides caves in their favor. Hopefully one does.

So you're not out of your mind then. That's good.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2014, 09:36:05 AM

It's tough though, because if the Cubs don't extend him, where is the pitching coming from in the next 2-3 years? There's not much at the higher levels. Are you more comfortable signing Justin Masterson to a 6/$120m contract than Samardzija this winter?

I guess there's a chance they could cobble together a good rotation from Feldman/Hammel type signings. I guess Travis Wood will be here for a few more years. But they're still missing those top-of-the-rotation talents. Then again, maybe Kyle Hendricks really is Roy Halladay. That would help.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 09:47:34 AM

It's tough though, because if the Cubs don't extend him, where is the pitching coming from in the next 2-3 years? There's not much at the higher levels. Are you more comfortable signing Justin Masterson to a 6/$120m contract than Samardzija this winter?

I guess there's a chance they could cobble together a good rotation from Feldman/Hammel type signings. I guess Travis Wood will be here for a few more years. But they're still missing those top-of-the-rotation talents. Then again, maybe Kyle Hendricks really is Roy Halladay. That would help.

The thing where all the arms are exploding is so scary, though. Pitch counts aren't working.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »

That was my reasoning...and all the stuff about the money you said.

And let me add to that by just saying Travis Wood.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:50 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2014, 10:06:25 AM

The thing where all the arms are exploding is so scary, though. Pitch counts aren't working.

Usually safer to believe that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
They're going to have to pay for pitching in the next couple years anyway, right? Samardzija is probably as safe a bet as any free agents that will be available. And they might have a tough time convincing any decent pitchers to sign here if they have a couple more 90 loss seasons. If it takes a Homer Bailey type deal then I'm fine with that. Spend some of that future jumbotron advertising money now.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
Since it seems like we've come to the part of this thread where we take a stance, I'm on the side of keeping Samardzija. 

This team has plenty of great prospects (even though most of them will fail and all of them will eventually die) but they don't have a single front-line pitcher.  Except this guy. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 09, 2014, 12:10:41 PM
Since it seems like we've come to the part of this thread where we take a stance, I'm on the side of keeping Samardzija. 

This team has plenty of great prospects (even though most of them will fail and all of them will eventually die) but they don't have a single front-line pitcher.  Except this guy. 

So, while we're at it, extend Travis Wood too right? I see he's arb. eligible in 2015 and a free agent in 2017. My brain tells me ride this out until he gets uppity and wants to get paid before 2017 or until 2017, whichever comes first. Is there a need to extend him right now? Has he made noise about his contract? I might be over my head here.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »

I guess the problem with keeping him is that he has to actually sign an offer and since he's made it quite clear he hates losing and can't really see himself sticking around to continue losing I guess it would have to be a hell of an offer along with a promise. I suppose anything he signs with the Cubs would NOT have a no-trade clause just in case they never get good.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2014, 03:38:49 PM

I guess the problem with keeping him is that he has to actually sign an offer and since he's made it quite clear he hates losing and can't really see himself sticking around to continue losing I guess it would have to be a hell of an offer along with a promise. I suppose anything he signs with the Cubs would NOT have a no-trade clause just in case they never get good.

I look at the haul they got for Garza and I imagine they could get something close to that. Bye, Snork.