News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread  ( 75,627 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2014, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2014, 03:38:49 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 09, 2014, 12:10:41 PM
Since it seems like we've come to the part of this thread where we take a stance, I'm on the side of keeping Samardzija.  

This team has plenty of great prospects (even though most of them will fail and all of them will eventually die) but they don't have a single front-line pitcher.  Except this guy.  

I guess the problem with keeping him is that he has to actually sign an offer and since he's made it quite clear he hates losing and can't really see himself sticking around to continue losing I guess it would have to be a hell of an offer along with a promise. I suppose anything he signs with the Cubs would NOT have a no-trade clause just in case they never get good.

I look at the haul they got for Garza and I imagine they could get something close to that. Bye, Snork.

Maybe we should give it another year or two before we declare it a "haul."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 04:09:38 PM
Since it seems like we've come to the part of this thread where we take a stance, I'm on the side of keeping Samardzija.  

This team has plenty of great prospects (even though most of them will fail and all of them will eventually die) but they don't have a single front-line pitcher.  Except this guy.  

I guess the problem with keeping him is that he has to actually sign an offer and since he's made it quite clear he hates losing and can't really see himself sticking around to continue losing I guess it would have to be a hell of an offer along with a promise. I suppose anything he signs with the Cubs would NOT have a no-trade clause just in case they never get good.

I look at the haul they got for Garza and I imagine they could get something close to that. Bye, Snork.

Not sure that's fair - if you can get that many players with that much upside as a team in the Cubs' position you take it. Assuming a similar return for Garza, you can't also assume that all the players will turn out to suck or just flatline.

If Jepstink got an offer similar to the number and caliber of players get got for Garza I hope he'd take it. I don't think other execs think Shark is as good as Garza. So who knows.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2014, 04:18:11 PM

Not sure that's fair - if you can get that many players with that much upside as a team in the Cubs' position you take it. Assuming a similar return for Garza, you can't also assume that all the players will turn out to suck or just flatline.

If Jepstink got an offer similar to the number and caliber of players get got for Garza I hope he'd take it. I don't think other execs think Shark is as good as Garza. So who knows.

I think Shark is pretty comparable to Garza. He also doesn't have Garza's injury history and has an extra year of team control. At this point, they should be able to do better than the return for two months of Garza.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 04:22:16 PM

I think Shark is pretty comparable to Garza. He also doesn't have Garza's injury history and has an extra year of team control. At this point, they should be able to do better than the return for two months of Garza.

You'd think that but Mike Olt or something.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »
Not enough windows shattering in this thread today. Don't like it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2014, 04:22:16 PM

The Garza trade was earlier in the rebuilding process though. At some point major league ready players will become at least as important as prospects. And while I'm not at all for rushing the rebuild, if they decided Snork was young enough to be part of a competitive team and decided to pay him I wouldn't be upset.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Quote from: Tony on May 09, 2014, 05:45:14 PMAt some point major league ready players will become at least as important as prospects.

That time should really be now. Or at least very-near-ready, since some far-off A-ball prospect is basically just another lottery ticket at this point. It's not even really a matter of how long you think the rebuild "should" take. Rizzo, Castro and Castillo are in their cheapest years, which gives them the most payroll flexibility they'll have for awhile, at least until the TV deal comes in 2020 or whenever.

I think they're fully aware of this, which is probably why they haven't been able to find a deal they like for Samardzija yet -- they're being stingy and holding out for the Archie Bradleys of the world.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: May 11, 2014, 02:15:18 AM »
At some point, this team won't have any major league talent, because Snork is going to murder them all in their sleep for failing to score a goddamn run for him.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: May 11, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on May 11, 2014, 02:15:18 AM
At some point, this team won't have any major league talent, because Snork is going to murder them all in their sleep for failing to score a goddamn run for him.

I seriously hope they never score another run for him ever again.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
Jeff Samardzija murder spree watch...commence.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 11, 2014, 04:26:05 PM

Weird.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 13, 2014, 08:31:24 AM

Weird.

I think he means then Snork will kill all these chumps.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 13, 2014, 08:34:59 AM

Weird.

Or, that in a lost season, it would be "fun" to watch Snork go 0-25 with a 2.00 ERA

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 13, 2014, 08:39:03 AM

Weird.

Or, that in a lost season, it would be "fun" to watch Snork go 0-25 with a 2.00 ERA

Oh my god. If he put up Cy Young numbers with zero wins I would get off my HATEWAGON.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 13, 2014, 08:39:03 AM

Weird.

History!