News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread  ( 75,633 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 17, 2014, 09:48:31 AM
Cubes make Samardzija a new offer.

QuoteBut, I've always kept a crack in the door for the possibility of an extension between the Cubs and Samardzija, and GM Jed Hoyer made sure to preserve that crack earlier this year, even as expectations of a trade swirled.

That sure is nice of Jed to preserve Brett's crack.  Does Al know the Cubs are taking advice from other bloggers now?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Cue Doris Day to sing "Que Sera, Sera."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: June 18, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
Quote from: Jon Morosi
Source confirms Jeff Samardzija rejected a five-year offer from Cubs. Value was slightly more than $85 million, source said.

Can't see the Cubs going higher than that. That's basically the same $ and 1 year less than the frequently mentioned Homer Bailey extension (6/105)

Think we can probably end the "I hope he signs an extension" campaign.

Come on, good (and hopefully soon-to-be-ready) prospects.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: June 18, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 18, 2014, 05:42:43 PM
Source confirms Jeff Samardzija rejected a five-year offer from Cubs. Value was slightly more than $85 million, source said.

Can't see the Cubs going higher than that. That's basically the same $ and 1 year less than the frequently mentioned Homer Bailey extension (6/105)

Sahadev said the make up of the return will say a lot about what Jepstink thinks about where the Cubs are as far as being competitive. They've been a .500 team since May 1st and that's without any offense from the outfield.

It sucks that Samardzija wants to get rich and win games now but hard to blame him. Hopefully teams don't get too turned off about the smallish sample size that is his 2014 so far.

Here's hoping the haul back is made of players who can help now. Not really sure how that'll work though.

The Cubs offer is super transparent though - no way he was going to take that.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 18, 2014, 05:53:54 PM

Sahadev said the make up of the return will say a lot about what Jepstink thinks about where the Cubs are as far as being competitive. They've been a .500 team since May 1st and that's without any offense from the outfield.

It sucks that Samardzija wants to get rich and win games now but hard to blame him. Hopefully teams don't get too turned off about the smallish sample size that is his 2014 so far.

Here's hoping the haul back is made of players who can help now. Not really sure how that'll work though.

My only thinking is that the Cubs think that one of the FA pitchers is clearly better than Samardzija.
Or that two of the mid-tier guys are better bets.

Hendricks is the only pitching prospect that's even close to being ready, and he's good but not great.

Even best case, you still need at least 1 top-tier starter and probably 2 rotation guys (to join a decent but not world-beating group of Wood, Arrieta, and the likely untradeable E-Jax) in 2015.

I know we've been over this before, but at some point they need some good (proven) pitching that's not on short-term deals.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 18, 2014, 05:57:32 PM

My only thinking is that the Cubs think that one of the FA pitchers is clearly better than Samardzija.

Hendricks is the only pitching prospect that's even close to being ready, and he's good but not great.

Even best case, you still need at least 1 top-tier starter and probably 2 rotation guys (to join a decent but not world-beating group of Wood, Arrieta, and the likely untradeable E-Jax) in 2015.

I know we've been over this before, but at some point they need some good (proven) pitching that's not on short-term deals.

I liked Sharma's line of thought here:

QuoteI think the Cubs look at it thinking they can get a haul for Samardzija & spend that $ on a comparable arm in free agency. Double up on it.

If they can sign an equivalent arm in free agency at a similar price point and get something back for Snork in a trade, that's the best of both worlds.

At the very least, from this perspective, the value per dollar from signing a hypothetical free agent replacement plus the value they'd expect to get back in a trade sets the floor on the value per dollar the front office would demand out of an extension.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 18, 2014, 06:26:57 PM

QuoteI think the Cubs look at it thinking they can get a haul for Samardzija & spend that $ on a comparable arm in free agency. Double up on it.

If they can sign an equivalent arm in free agency at a similar price point and get something back for Snork in a trade, that's the best of both worlds.

At the very least, from this perspective, the value per dollar from signing a hypothetical free agent replacement plus the value they'd expect to get back in a trade sets the floor on the value per dollar the front office would demand out of an extension.

All of THIS. And fuck Snork.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 18, 2014, 06:54:01 PM

Why? He's basically doing the Cubs a favor. Not that they need it; I think the offer is quite veiled and they planned to double up anyway.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 19, 2014, 08:37:20 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 18, 2014, 06:54:01 PM

Why? He's basically doing the Cubs a favor. Not that they need it; I think the offer is quite veiled and they planned to double up anyway.

Because he's an ugly, overrated pudwhack with woman hair who played football for Notre Dame. We've been over this.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 19, 2014, 08:55:05 AM
Because he's an ugly, overrated pudwhack with woman hair who played football for Notre Dame. We've been over this.

All true except the bolded. In fact, I'd still say it's the opposite.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: June 19, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 19, 2014, 08:58:01 AM

Damn it, Eli. Why can't you be negative when I need it?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »

Guy wants $22mm per year, in-line with the top pitchers in baseball.  Similarity scores:

1. Juan Cruz (977)
2. Calvin Schiraldi (976)
3. Kevin Correia (975)
4. Carlos Villanueva (970)
5. Bill Swift (970)
6. Dave Stewart (969)
7. Mark Grant (969)
8. Ron Schueler (968)
9. Renie Martin (967)
10. Willie Fraser (964)

Career ERA+ of 102.
Pitched 200 innings once in his career.
1.0 WAR pitcher in his 200+ inning season.

But people think he's awesome.

That sounds like textbook overrated to me.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 19, 2014, 09:47:05 AM

Guy wants $22mm per year, in-line with the top pitchers in baseball.  Similarity scores:

1. Juan Cruz (977)
3. Kevin Correia (975)
5. Bill Swift (970)
6. Dave Stewart (969)
7. Mark Grant (969)
8. Ron Schueler (968)
9. Renie Martin (967)
10. Willie Fraser (964)

Career ERA+ of 102.

I think he's hoping for that money based on future performance, not past.
Which seems pretty fair based on how he's doing right now.

I'm not saying I want the Cubs to pay it, but I'd take him over Homer Bailey.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 19, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 19, 2014, 09:47:05 AM

1. Juan Cruz (977)
3. Kevin Correia (975)
5. Bill Swift (970)
6. Dave Stewart (969)
7. Mark Grant (969)
8. Ron Schueler (968)
9. Renie Martin (967)
10. Willie Fraser (964)

Career ERA+ of 102.

I think he's hoping for that money based on future performance, not past.
Which seems pretty fair based on how he's doing right now.

I'm not saying I want the Cubs to pay it, but I'd take him over Homer Bailey.

THAT
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
I don't care if they pay him or not. I would be disappointed if they try to win with him on the staff an no one better.  Shark as your ace isn't a very good team.  Shark as 3 or 4? Very good team.