News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,925 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 19, 2015, 09:30:28 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 19, 2015, 08:50:51 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2015, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 19, 2015, 08:24:14 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 19, 2015, 07:07:20 AM
So Jake basically admitted in the post-game that he's tired. I went back and looked at his game log and the only game that really stands out as needlessly dumb was the 4-0 shutout vs. Milwaukee (on 9/22) where he threw 123 pitches. I recall most people saying that was unnecessary at the time. But other than that, there are only a handful of other instances where you can nitpick an inning here or there. If he's tired now, I don't think a scattered 100-200 pitches over the last few months would make a big difference now.

Long story short, throwing a ton of pitches/innings is just what happens when you're good. Even in hindsight, it's tough to say what they could have done differently.

I'm with you. It just sucks that it's happening right now. I guess it's sort of inevitable.

He can still get by in his remaining start(s)* with guile. I think he's a good enough pitcher to do that. I'm not sure Murphy's homer wasn't just him being red hot and hitting a decent pitch into the perfect combination of wind and seating arrangement. If that ball hung up or went foul, what are we saying about Jake's outing then?

*if necessary

Someone tweeted that the exit velocity on that Murphy home run was 91 MPH, and less than 1% of all homers this year had an exit velocity that low or lower. He just hit in the one location where the wind was actually going to help a ball go out.

Daren Willman.
https://twitter.com/darenw

He's got a great site

Marry it

Over-Rest tends to affect control it doesn't account for the drop in velocity.

HGH is a helluva drug. Somebody get Madison Bumgarner's "personal trainer" in for a consult with ... hell everybody.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 31, 2015, 02:02:31 PM
JAY CARIETTA SHAVED HIS DAMN BEARD OFF MY FRENTS.

The fact that this is newsworthy is all the proof we need that Grantland was indeed obsolete.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: November 18, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman. He was one of our better pitchers." -- Jeff Samardzija
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:15 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 18, 2015, 06:01:52 PM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman. He was one of our better pitchers." --Jeff Samardzija

Please don't let this asshole come back.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 19, 2015, 07:14:15 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman. He was one of our better pitchers." --Jeff Samardzija

As long as there's gasoline, a barn, a padlock, and some matches, I'll be there to stop this.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: November 19, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

I like making fun of him for that line, too, but I don't really blame him for saying it at the time. These guys are competitive as hell; why would they enjoy their prime years being spent on a team that's intentionally losing games?

Anyway. There's been a lot of talk about Cooper not letting him throw splitters and messing with his mechanics, which is why he struggled so much. As long as he's not the best pitcher they acquire this offseason, I'd be happy to see him come back as a 4/5 starter.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: November 19, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 08:36:18 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

I like making fun of him for that line, too, but I don't really blame him for saying it at the time. These guys are competitive as hell; why would they enjoy their prime years being spent on a team that's intentionally losing games?

Anyway. There's been a lot of talk about Cooper not letting him throw splitters and messing with his mechanics, which is why he struggled so much. As long as he's not the best pitcher they acquire this offseason, I'd be happy to see him come back as a 4/5 starter.

With the added benefit that he would be the rotations' Chris Coghlan, a guy I'd feel comfortable hating beyond all reason even when he's doing good things.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: November 19, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

That's what the Germans said about Hitler in '33.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: November 19, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

...on a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't want a long term contract to him clogging up the rotation for years. There are going to be far better options than him within the next 3+ years.  Further, they are going to sign someone not named Snork to a 5 year deal this winter.  That ties up two of the five spots long term.  Arrieta is in line for a third long term spot.  I have no interest in having Snork as the #4 until 2019 and only having flexibility to add someone in one rotation slot.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 19, 2015, 08:53:08 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

...on a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't want a long term contract to him clogging up the rotation for years. There are going to be far better options than him within the next 3+ years.  Further, they are going to sign someone not named Snork to a 5 year deal this winter.  That ties up two of the five spots long term.  Arrieta is in line for a third long term spot.  I have no interest in having Snork as the #4 until 2019 and only having flexibility to add someone in one rotation slot.

When Chuck is right.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: November 19, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

If he's signed, I'd trust that the front office has a plan on how to handle all of this. Or are we not trusting them anymore if they sign Samardzija?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: November 19, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

If he's signed, I'd trust that the front office has a plan on how to handle all of this. Or are we not trusting them anymore if they sign Samardzija?

NO BECUZZ EDWARD JACKSON
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

Look, who would know more about what kind of investment Snork is worth, the front office that turned him into a starter, has in depth knowledge of his medicals, and oversaw the most successful period of his career, or those of us that hate him for being bad like 5 years ago and having a stupid face and stupid hair on top of his stupid face and also all of the stupid things that have come out of his stupid mouth on his stupid face?

(for what it's worth I both understand the Snork hate and would also be 100% fine with bringing him back on whatever terms Jepstink deem worthy)
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: November 19, 2015, 09:08:29 AM »
All you bullshit-tolerating Snorkfuckers are gonna be sorry if you get what you want.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck