News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kerry Wood Sploogefest Thread  ( 57,174 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kerry Wood Sploogefest Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »
Quote from: butthead on June 26, 2008, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on June 26, 2008, 10:59:35 AM
Quote from: BH on June 26, 2008, 10:55:55 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on June 26, 2008, 10:54:57 AM
Every FA that Hendry brought back was because they would've had a huge void in that spot.  They have Marmol to replace Wood and Marmol, some time soon, is gonna ask for big money.  It's unusual to have two high paid (as in closers money) relievers in the back of a bullpen.

Unless you're the Cubs and you signed Eyre and Howry.

Even they aren't getting closer money.  Marmol is going to get it (either from the Cubs or elsewhere).

Until set-up men have the same status as closers, guys like Marmol are going to want the spotlight and the cash. Holds are a sexy stat and don't bring in the big bucks. He's going to want to close.

People don't value relievers that aren't closers. Look at the new Steinbrenner that thought Chamberlain was being wasted in the Yankees bullpen. Somebody will eventually pay Marmol to close games.

He's not even a free agent for another 3 or 4 years.  Maybe even 5, depending on his service time.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 26, 2008, 12:50:43 PM
Every FA that Hendry brought back was because they would've had a huge void in that spot.  They have Marmol to replace Wood and Marmol, some time soon, is gonna ask for big money.  It's unusual to have two high paid (as in closers money) relievers in the back of a bullpen.

Even they aren't getting closer money.  Marmol is going to get it (either from the Cubs or elsewhere).

Until set-up men have the same status as closers, guys like Marmol are going to want the spotlight and the cash. Holds are a sexy stat and don't bring in the big bucks. He's going to want to close.

People don't value relievers that aren't closers. Look at the new Steinbrenner that thought Chamberlain was being wasted in the Yankees bullpen. Somebody will eventually pay Marmol to close games.

He's not even a free agent for another 3 or 4 years.  Maybe even 5, depending on his service time.

Oh...really? Well that's good then.

Dammit Andre Dawson's Creek.....why did you have to get me all fired up about not being able to pay both of them?

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »
Quote from: butthead on June 26, 2008, 01:01:56 PM

Dammit Andre Dawson's Creek.....why did you have to get me all fired up about not being able to pay both of them?

They've got maybe 2 more years of cheap Marmot.  Then they'll buy out his last 2 years or so in an effort to get him locked up slightly cheaper than if he hit FA (it also minimizes the risk he'll actually leave).
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on June 26, 2008, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: butthead on June 26, 2008, 01:01:56 PM

They've got maybe 2 more years of cheap Marmot.  Then they'll buy out his last 2 years or so in an effort to get him locked up slightly cheaper than if he hit FA (it also minimizes the risk he'll actually leave).

The point is that the Cubs have him under control for a while.  Middle relievers don't get rich in arbitration (this is an unsubstantiated generalization that sounds right).  Regardles, this is a ~$9MM bullpen, and it'll probably stay that way.  Remember, Howry and Eyre are both in their walk years (~$6MM put together).

I wouldn't worry about keeping Wood and Marmol.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 26, 2008, 01:59:20 PM
Middle relievers don't get rich in arbitration (this is an unsubstantiated generalization that sounds right)

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Marmol is under Cubs' control through 2012.  He'll be 30 after that season, and who knows what sort of shape his arm will be in at that point, if his current usage pattern continues.  I'm not too worried right now about losing him.

This is looking a bit ahead, but if he continues to be lights-out in the bullpen, he might be a good guy to trade in 2010 or 2011.

Cade

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:55 PM »
These are good problems to have.  /just sayin'

Not long ago it looked like Kerry's career was basically over, so I'm glad to see him slaughtering the unbelievers in the closer role.  A KW punch to Mariotti's smug face is about the only thing that could make this story better.

The Marmot is obviously amazing and I'm sure he'll be closing at some point.  For now, he's a great weapon coming out of the pen as a stopper.  Personally, I think he's more valuable in his current position than as a closer.  How many times this year have we seen him come in with runners on base and strike out the side?  I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's happened more than a few times.

Howry, Marmol, Wood.  Thats a pretty damn intimidating (and usually effective) combo coming out of the pen in close games.  I'm not gonna complain, especially considering some of the shit this team has had in the pen in the past.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
Quote from: Cade on June 26, 2008, 03:12:55 PM
These are good problems to have.  /just sayin'

Not long ago it looked like Kerry's career was basically over, so I'm glad to see him slaughtering the unbelievers in the closer role.  A KW punch to Mariotti's smug face is about the only thing that could make this story better.

The Marmot is obviously amazing and I'm sure he'll be closing at some point.  For now, he's a great weapon coming out of the pen as a stopper.  Personally, I think he's more valuable in his current position than as a closer.  How many times this year have we seen him come in with runners on base and strike out the side?  I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's happened more than a few times.

Howry, Marmol, Wood.  Thats a pretty damn intimidating (and usually effective) combo coming out of the pen in close games.  I'm not gonna complain, especially considering some of the shit this team has had in the pen in the past.

Cliff Bartosh!

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 26, 2008, 01:59:20 PM
Middle relievers don't get rich in arbitration (this is an unsubstantiated generalization that sounds right).

Very true Oleg.

The other factor is that players get rich in arbitration if they are being consistently awesome at playing baseball.  So if Marmol gets rich in a few years it will be because he has continued to be awesome at playing baseball.  If you're like me, you enjoy when Cubs players are awesome, and when they are then you're happy they get paid shit tons of money because they deserve it and it's better for a dude like Marmol to get it then Scott Eyre.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »
He gave up another run, but it was worth it just to see that hook he dropped on Prince to end the game.

Oh, and Lou just called Prince "Cecil" for about the 27th time this season.

Never gets old.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
Any untucked shirts on the field after the game?

Didn't think so.

Suck it fatboy.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 11:20:43 PM »
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on September 16, 2008, 10:25:37 PM

Didn't think so.

Suck it fatboy.

Damn shame we'll never get to see what this team can do in the playoffs.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

StewiesBandwagon

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
Quote from: Andy on September 16, 2008, 10:21:57 PM
He gave up another run, but it was worth it just to see that hook he dropped on Prince to end the game.

Oh, and Lou just called Prince "Cecil" for about the 27th time this season.

Never gets old.

That pitch was just plain filthy.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 11:37:18 PM »
Happy birthday to this guy.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on September 16, 2008, 11:20:43 PM
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on September 16, 2008, 10:25:37 PM

Didn't think so.

Suck it fatboy.

Damn shame we'll never get to see what this team can do in the playoffs.

Yep.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2008, 06:20:21 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on September 16, 2008, 11:37:18 PM
Happy birthday to this guy.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

You got the Cubs' win, but did you get the chocolate starfish?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16