News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,758 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 06, 2015, 08:56:19 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 08:52:10 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 06, 2015, 08:43:04 AM
Who knows what Morosi actually knows about the Cubs' thought process, but it's presumably more than we do.

There's some stuff about how Castro is bad and they would prefer to trade for a non-rental starter. Nothing we don't know. But he does at least throw out some names here:

QuoteSwitch-hitting center fielder Dexter Fowler is having the worst offensive season of his major-league career, and his struggles have been most pronounced from the left side.

Two names to watch: Milwaukee's Gerardo Parra, a two-time Gold Glove winner, and San Diego's Will Venable, who played for Hoyer during his tenure as general manager of the Padres.

Not sure how likely Fowler is to turn it around, but I wouldn't mind Parra coming in to play the heavy side of a platoon in that spot. Fowler's always been better as a right-handed hitter and it's an even more pronounced difference this year.

I'm all for it. Can't imagine the prospect cost would be that great. The outfield has been a drag the last month+ but an outfield of Jorge, a Parra (.838 ops vs RHP)/Fowler (.833 vs LHP) platoon in center, and a Coghlan/Denorfia platoon in left could be pretty consistently good.

And having those platoons would help strengthen the bench on any given day.

It was nice that Jorge's return paid dividends immediately with Denorfia being able to come in and pinch hit instead of like, Mack Seizure or Junior Lake. Denorfia is obviously not going to deliver a double every time he does that but still, actual major league players on the bench could add a win or two over the course of the season easily.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Who knows what Morosi actually knows about the Cubs' thought process, but it's presumably more than we do.

There's some stuff about how Castro is bad and they would prefer to trade for a non-rental starter. Nothing we don't know. But he does at least throw out some names here:

QuoteSwitch-hitting center fielder Dexter Fowler is having the worst offensive season of his major-league career, and his struggles have been most pronounced from the left side.

Two names to watch: Milwaukee's Gerardo Parra, a two-time Gold Glove winner, and San Diego's Will Venable, who played for Hoyer during his tenure as general manager of the Padres.

Not sure how likely Fowler is to turn it around, but I wouldn't mind Parra coming in to play the heavy side of a platoon in that spot. Fowler's always been better as a right-handed hitter and it's an even more pronounced difference this year.

I'm all for it. Can't imagine the prospect cost would be that great. The outfield has been a drag the last month+ but an outfield of Jorge, a Parra (.838 ops vs RHP)/Fowler (.833 vs LHP) platoon in center, and a Coghlan/Denorfia platoon Schwarber in left could be pretty consistently good.

Fixed - he can't be THAT much worse defensively than Coghlan, can he?

But I'm all in favor of limiting Dexter to LHPs - he has actually done well against RHPs the last few years but for some reason has been godawful against them this year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 06, 2015, 09:04:06 AM

I'm all for it. Can't imagine the prospect cost would be that great. The outfield has been a drag the last month+ but an outfield of Jorge, a Parra (.838 ops vs RHP)/Fowler (.833 vs LHP) platoon in center, and a Coghlan/Denorfia platoon Schwarber in left could be pretty consistently good.

But I'm all in favor of limiting Dexter to LHPs - he has actually done well against RHPs the last few years but for some reason has been godawful against them this year.

I keep thinking Dexter has to get better just because he can't get much worse but there's obviously a limit to how long they can wait him out. He should have already been moved out of the leadoff spot. I think Coghlan actually is their best bet there for now.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but Coghlan seems to be playing better defense lately. The first few weeks of the year he was pretty awful, but I can't recall anything he's butchered horribly the last month or two. He still appears to take bad routes to balls when going back, but he seems to catch most of the ones that he should. He's made a couple nice plays coming in on balls that looked like they would drop in and I can think of at least two where he laid out going to his left.

Edit: FanGraphs actually has him as the fourth best (qualified) LF.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 06, 2015, 09:32:59 AM

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but Coghlan seems to be playing better defense lately. The first few weeks of the year he was pretty awful, but I can't recall anything he's butchered horribly the last month or two. He still appears to take bad routes to balls when going back, but he seems to catch most of the ones that he should. He's made a couple nice plays coming in on balls that looked like they would drop in and I can think of at least two where he laid out going to his left.

The bad routes and late breaks are scary but haven't haven't hurt the Cubs recently. That's what left fielders do though. We'd have to see if Schwarber even has the speed to recover like Coghlan often does. Plus seeing Coghlan charging into the fray of would be fielders on pop-ups is terrifying but imagine if it were an NFL linebacker flying through there yelling. With Russell's seeming inability to give ground on anything hit above the upper deck, it could get ugly. White knuckle time on any ball hit in no-man's land. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »
Will Venable: BC's second Gil Meche

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 09:09:08 AM

I keep thinking Dexter has to get better just because he can't get much worse but there's obviously a limit to how long they can wait him out. He should have already been moved out of the leadoff spot. I think Coghlan actually is their best bet there for now.

You got your wish chief. Coghlan hitting leadoff, Dexter hitting 7th tonight. If they don't score 8+ runs, I'm holding you and that Trueblood fella who goes to your barber accountable.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »

For your next trick, conjure a drop in the order for Starlin from 5th.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 06, 2015, 03:16:03 PM

Yeah, it seems to me that everyone would benefit from Castro hitting second, ahead of Rizzo and Bryant.  The guy is absolutely worthless batting 5th, or even 6th for that matter.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 06, 2015, 03:23:11 PM

Two names to watch: Milwaukee’s Gerardo Parra, a two-time Gold Glove winner, and San Diego’s Will Venable, who played for Hoyer during his tenure as general manager of the Padres.

Yeah, it seems to me that everyone would benefit from Castro hitting second, ahead of Rizzo and Bryant.  The guy is absolutely worthless batting 5th, or even 6th for that matter.

Or nearly in the majors. His OPS has been under .600 over the last month. Down to .627 for the season. He's 153rd out of 167 qualified players.

He needs to be 7th or 9th in the MaddenVerse.

Then again, #167 is Alexi Ramirez.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: July 06, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 06, 2015, 03:28:09 PM

Yeah, it seems to me that everyone would benefit from Castro hitting second, ahead of Rizzo and Bryant.  The guy is absolutely worthless batting 5th, or even 6th for that matter.

Or nearly in the majors. His OPS has been under .600 over the last month. Down to .627 for the season. He's 153rd out of 167 qualified players.

2013 excepted, the guy has had an OPS of at least .750 in every season that he's been in the bigs.  Seems you might want to see if you can unleash his production by batting him second, I dunno just a thought.

But no, let's shitcan his career production, point to his admittedly underperforming 3 months of the 2015 season, and tank any value he has remaining by relegating him to the bottom of the order because Chuck.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: July 06, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 06, 2015, 03:34:51 PM

Yeah, it seems to me that everyone would benefit from Castro hitting second, ahead of Rizzo and Bryant.  The guy is absolutely worthless batting 5th, or even 6th for that matter.

2013 excepted, the guy has had an OPS of at least .750 in every season that he's been in the bigs.  Seems you might want to see if you can unleash his production by batting him second, I dunno just a thought.

But no, let's shitcan his career production, point to his admittedly underperforming 3 months of the 2015 season, and tank any value he has remaining by relegating him to the bottom of the order because Chuck.

Okay, but do it now, not in August/September.  Giving a guy who has flat-out sucked more at-bats so he can get out in front of Rizzo and Bryant seems odd to me, but I'm willing to try it as an emergency jump-start before the All-Star Break.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »

2013 and 2015.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 06, 2015, 03:52:32 PM

2013 and 2015.

Well if the season ended July 6th then Rick Sutcliffe would've been the Game 1 starter in the 1989 NLDS, amirite?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »

Two names to watch: Milwaukee’s Gerardo Parra, a two-time Gold Glove winner, and San Diego’s Will Venable, who played for Hoyer during his tenure as general manager of the Padres.

2013 excepted, the guy has had an OPS of at least .750 in every season that he's been in the bigs.  Seems you might want to see if you can unleash his production by batting him second, I dunno just a thought.

Go have fun here. FuzzBeadEli point this out a few weeks ago. Castro has been bad for a while.  This link covers the last 4 years.  Even if you exclude this year and only do 2012-2014 (two of three years good) he's still 15th in WAR among qualified SS.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0