News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,415 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2011, 12:56:42 PM
Quote from: CT III on August 24, 2011, 12:24:11 PM
Quote from: BH on August 24, 2011, 10:05:59 AM
David Haugh sets the record straight on Crane Kenney.

Okay, what the hell is going on with Crane Kenney?  My assumption was always that he was an empty suit that Ricketts was keeping around to do the dirty political negotiations because nobody likes him anyway.  Now all I hear is that he's Bob Pulford 2.0. 

I WANT SOME ANSWERS DAMMIT!

It's obvious: There's a super gay four-way between Biggsy, TIMSHAW, Crane Kenney and David Haugh. It's like Lemon Party 3000.

So Crane is Lemon Party Chairman?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 24, 2011, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2011, 12:56:42 PM
Quote from: CT III on August 24, 2011, 12:24:11 PM
Quote from: BH on August 24, 2011, 10:05:59 AM
David Haugh sets the record straight on Crane Kenney.

Okay, what the hell is going on with Crane Kenney?  My assumption was always that he was an empty suit that Ricketts was keeping around to do the dirty political negotiations because nobody likes him anyway.  Now all I hear is that he's Bob Pulford 2.0.  

I WANT SOME ANSWERS DAMMIT!

It's obvious: There's a super gay four-way between Biggsy, TIMSHAW, Crane Kenney and David Haugh. It's like Lemon Party 3000.

So Crane is Lemon Party Chairman?

Da.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
No idea what this means, but I'm going to assume that hiring a non-baseball guy to watch over spending means we'll win the World Series in a few years.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Quote from: BH on August 31, 2011, 10:11:36 AM
No idea what this means, but I'm going to assume that hiring a non-baseball guy to watch over spending means we'll win the World Series in a few years.

Again, Tom Ricketts wants a non-baseball guy to control spending? Doesn't he know he didn't have to look far?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
No idea what this means

Probably nothing.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 31, 2011, 10:36:29 AM
No idea what this means

Probably nothing.

"Chicago Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts hired Stephen J.K. Walters to be a top consultant on all expenditures for the organization."

His first advice should be to fire the guy who they hired to give advice about spending money.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I take it Rosenbloom isn't a fan of our owner. Way to go FANBOY, you just guaranteed Epstein signs a 3 year extension
with the Red Sox. Because a reporter asked Epstein about the Cubs. Good one, FANBOY.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 01, 2011, 10:13:00 AM
I take it Rosenbloom isn't a fan of our owner. Way to go FANBOY, you just guaranteed Epstein signs a 3 year extension
with the Red Sox. Because a reported asked Epstein about the Cubs. Good one, FANBOY.

How can we be friends when you keep trying to Rosenroll me?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
This reminds me: I like Dan Bernstein and he's a pretty smart person. I also understand that Barry Rozner is a colleague at the Score so maybe he feels obligated to support him, professionally. But when Bernstein retweets a Rozner article saying that Barry "gets it" because he's managed to do the mental gymnastics required to write an article about how the Cubs should be using sabermetrics as a tool to build a roster, that bums me out. Celebrating people who grasp obvious things like On Base Percentage is important should be beneath someone like Bernstein. Also, this one article doesn't erase 15 years of hackneyed, meatball horse-shit that Rozner has churned out on a regular basis.

So I guess the question is, WHY DAN WHY.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2011, 10:20:32 AM
This reminds me: I like Dan Bernstein and he's a pretty smart person. I also understand that Barry Rozner is a colleague at the Score so maybe he feels obligated to support him, professionally. But when Bernstein retweets a Rozner article saying that Barry "gets it" because he's managed to do the mental gymnastics required to write an article about how the Cubs should be using sabermetrics as a tool to build a roster, that bums me out. Celebrating people who grasp obvious things like On Base Percentage is important should be beneath someone like Bernstein. Also, this one article doesn't erase 15 years of hackneyed, meatball horse-shit that Rozner has churned out on a regular basis.

The good news is, Rozner and the rest of the Daily Herald are going behind a $20 per month paywall shortly, so we'll never hear from him again.  I'll miss reading Sassone and Miles though.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 01, 2011, 10:30:31 AM

The good news is, Rozner and the rest of the Daily Herald are going behind a $20 per month paywall shortly, so we'll never hear from him again.  I'll miss reading Sassone and Miles though.

You're joking. Who's running that paper, Todd Rickaskey?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »

Umm... Wasn't Rozner's real point is that we need less of a Yellonish take on the team? The headline is misleading.

QuoteThe next GM doesn't need to understand the culture. He needs to get rid of terrible contracts and transparent dogs and get better players who understand winning and aren't comfortable playing for managers and GMs who make life so pleasant and relaxed that even in 90-loss seasons, complacent players don't want to leave for a chance to win a ring.

What Barry wrote is bad?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 01, 2011, 11:18:58 AM

Umm... Wasn't Rozner's real point is that we need less of a Yellonish take on the team? The headline is misleading.

QuoteThe next GM doesn't need to understand the culture. He needs to get rid of terrible contracts and transparent dogs and get better players who understand winning and aren't comfortable playing for managers and GMs who make life so pleasant and relaxed that even in 90-loss seasons, complacent players don't want to leave for a chance to win a ring.

What Barry wrote is bad?

Actually the next GM needs to understand the culture, otherwise he doesn't stand a ghost's chance in Hell of changing it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »

What Barry wrote is bad?

What Chuck said. "OBA" was used as a metaphor for "things relating to how a player might be at playing baseball, scoring runs, preventing the other team from scoring runs, and ultimately winning games."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 01, 2011, 11:25:27 AM

What Barry wrote is bad?

What Chuck said. "OBA" was used as a metaphor for "things relating to how a player might be at playing baseball, scoring runs, preventing the other team from scoring runs, and ultimately winning games."

Again, how does a person get credit for saying things like the Cubs need better players and a drastic organizational-wide attitude shift? The point wasn't that Rozner is wrong for saying these things. The point is that a smart person like Dan Bernstein shouldn't be giving Ol' Barry a belly rub and a bucket of milk bones because he finally managed to string together a few one-sentence paragraphs of cogent thought. How many of us could have, and have, written that same exact thing on this very message board?

The Cubs need better players and a new attitude. HAIL BARRY! HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH SUCH BRILLIANCE?