News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,400 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2011, 11:49:38 AM
Again, how does a person get credit for saying things like the Cubs need better players and a drastic organizational-wide attitude shift? The point wasn't that Rozner is wrong for saying these things. The point is that a smart person like Dan Bernstein shouldn't be giving Ol' Barry a belly rub and a bucket of milk bones because he finally managed to string together a few one-sentence paragraphs of cogent thought. How many of us could have, and have, written that same exact thing on this very message board?

How?  Seriously?

David Haugh.
Rick Morrissey.
Gordon Wittendouche.
Hell, even our good friend David Kaplan was telling me the other day that they need to hire someone who understands the Cubs.

They all have been given a public platform, one that they are financially compensated for.

Rozner gets kudos for telling the truth.  What's sad is that said saying of the truth is so rare.

That we would say the same thing is akin to saying, "How kin deez gize get paid so much to plays a game?  I'd plays dat dem der game for free!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 01, 2011, 01:40:52 PM
Again, how does a person get credit for saying things like the Cubs need better players and a drastic organizational-wide attitude shift? The point wasn't that Rozner is wrong for saying these things. The point is that a smart person like Dan Bernstein shouldn't be giving Ol' Barry a belly rub and a bucket of milk bones because he finally managed to string together a few one-sentence paragraphs of cogent thought. How many of us could have, and have, written that same exact thing on this very message board?

How?  Seriously?

David Haugh.
Rick Morrissey.
Gordon Wittendouche.
Hell, even our good friend David Kaplan was telling me the other day that they need to hire someone who understands the Cubs.

They all have been given a public platform, one that they are financially compensated for.

Rozner gets kudos for telling the truth.  What's sad is that said saying of the truth is so rare.

That we would say the same thing is akin to saying, "How kin deez gize get paid so much to plays a game?  I'd plays dat dem der game for free!"

Fine, let's hold everyone to the lowest possible standard. Hey, I wiped my own ass today.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2011, 05:02:20 PM

How?  Seriously?

David Haugh.
Rick Morrissey.
Gordon Wittendouche.

Fine, let's hold everyone to the lowest possible standard. Hey, I wiped my own ass today.

I actually had a non-wiper today

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2011, 05:02:20 PM

How?  Seriously?

David Haugh.
Rick Morrissey.
Gordon Wittendouche.

I'm pretty sure that puts you one up on Haugh.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: September 02, 2011, 02:26:05 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 01, 2011, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2011, 10:20:32 AM
This reminds me: I like Dan Bernstein and he's a pretty smart person. I also understand that Barry Rozner is a colleague at the Score so maybe he feels obligated to support him, professionally. But when Bernstein retweets a Rozner article saying that Barry "gets it" because he's managed to do the mental gymnastics required to write an article about how the Cubs should be using sabermetrics as a tool to build a roster, that bums me out. Celebrating people who grasp obvious things like On Base Percentage is important should be beneath someone like Bernstein. Also, this one article doesn't erase 15 years of hackneyed, meatball horse-shit that Rozner has churned out on a regular basis.

So I guess the question is, WHY DAN WHY.

Umm... Wasn't Rozner's real point is that we need less of a Yellonish take on the team? The headline is misleading.

QuoteThe next GM doesn't need to understand the culture. He needs to get rid of terrible contracts and transparent dogs and get better players who understand winning and aren't comfortable playing for managers and GMs who make life so pleasant and relaxed that even in 90-loss seasons, complacent players don't want to leave for a chance to win a ring.

What Barry wrote is bad?

What the fuck does "understand winning" mean?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: September 02, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on September 02, 2011, 02:26:05 AM
This reminds me: I like Dan Bernstein and he's a pretty smart person. I also understand that Barry Rozner is a colleague at the Score so maybe he feels obligated to support him, professionally. But when Bernstein retweets a Rozner article saying that Barry "gets it" because he's managed to do the mental gymnastics required to write an article about how the Cubs should be using sabermetrics as a tool to build a roster, that bums me out. Celebrating people who grasp obvious things like On Base Percentage is important should be beneath someone like Bernstein. Also, this one article doesn't erase 15 years of hackneyed, meatball horse-shit that Rozner has churned out on a regular basis.

Umm... Wasn't Rozner's real point is that we need less of a Yellonish take on the team? The headline is misleading.

QuoteThe next GM doesn't need to understand the culture. He needs to get rid of terrible contracts and transparent dogs and get better players who understand winning and aren't comfortable playing for managers and GMs who make life so pleasant and relaxed that even in 90-loss seasons, complacent players don't want to leave for a chance to win a ring.

What Barry wrote is bad?

IT MEANS HE GETS RESULTS YOU STUPID CHIEF!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: September 02, 2011, 07:36:49 AM »

What Barry wrote is bad?

Don't worry - Chuck already decided that Rozner is a genius because the rest of the beat writers in town eat their own shit.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 02, 2011, 07:15:18 AM

What Barry wrote is bad?

CT, sit down.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
CT will be excited, Fleita's contract was extended by four years? Shouldn't the new GM be part of this decision?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: September 03, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
Quote from: BH on September 03, 2011, 06:56:00 PM
CT will be excited, Fleita's contract was extended by four years? Shouldn't the new GM be part of this decision?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 03, 2011, 08:16:33 PM

Another extension on the way? The new GM is going to have total control over baseball operations. Except for the two most important positions.

QuoteA meeting with scouting director Tim Wilken is next on Chicago Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts' to-do list before he hires his next general manager.

Ricketts already extended the contract of vice president of player personnel Oneri Fleita for four years, including a good-sized raise, in order to keep him from taking a job with the Detroit Tigers.

According to MLB sources, Wilken will meet with Ricketts over the weekend of Sept. 16 to discuss the state of the scouting department and his current contract status.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 04, 2011, 08:58:19 PM

Another extension on the way? The new GM is going to have total control over baseball operations. Except for the two most important positions.

QuoteA meeting with scouting director Tim Wilken is next on Chicago Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts' to-do list before he hires his next general manager.

Ricketts already extended the contract of vice president of player personnel Oneri Fleita for four years, including a good-sized raise, in order to keep him from taking a job with the Detroit Tigers.

According to MLB sources, Wilken will meet with Ricketts over the weekend of Sept. 16 to discuss the state of the scouting department and his current contract status.

Nice to see all of ricketts baseball knowledge going into making these decisions. I can't imagine any big name GMs wanting to take the cubs jobs when he has no decisions on personnel that work for him.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 05, 2011, 09:37:21 AM

Nice to see all of ricketts baseball knowledge going into making these decisions. I can't imagine any big name GMs wanting to take the cubs jobs when he has no decisions on personnel that work for him.

I expect Ricketts to come out of this meeting and announcing that Wilken is the new GM.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on September 05, 2011, 11:12:30 AM

I expect Ricketts to come out of this meeting and announcing that Wilken Phil Rogers is the new GM.

Only half kidding'd.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 05, 2011, 12:23:11 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on September 05, 2011, 11:12:30 AM

I expect Ricketts to come out of this meeting and announcing that Wilken Phil Rogers is the new GM.

Only half kidding'd.

Ned Coletti broseephus.