News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your 2011-12 NFL Thread: Lock Out Fever, Catch It!  ( 41,877 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Your 2011-12 NFL Thread: Lock Out Fever, Catch It!
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 27, 2011, 08:17:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 27, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
DPD. Bears also appear to be interested in Jason Babin. It'd be interesting to see if he could repeat last year's 12 sack season (at age 30), but it's not a terrible idea. Get someone else to take attention away from Peppers and you can move Izzy back into the rotation between DT and DE and improve the pass rush at both positions.

He averaged 3.5 his first 5 years in the league.  He sucks and was a fluke.  Like Tommie Harris.

That's a possible explanation, but it would also keep his price down from what a 12 sack guy would normally demand. I'm sure the opportunity to play opposite of Peppers and not having to worry about the extra attention that he would  normally draw after a year like that may be incentive to take less money to come to Chicago. I doubt the Bears would overpay him. Hell, they had an opt out clause that would have allowed them to walk free from Peppers this offseason if he'd have gone bust. Either way, they wouldn't be depending on him to be "the guy" and the more pass rushers they have, the better.

Also, a lot of his struggles in Houston came from the fact that he was a poor fit as an OLB in a 3-4. Tennessee is awesome at coaching their DE's, and you NO ROD MARINARA WILL COOCH HIM INTO A MAULIN RUSH MAN!
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 27, 2011, 08:25:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 27, 2011, 08:17:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 27, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
DPD. Bears also appear to be interested in Jason Babin. It'd be interesting to see if he could repeat last year's 12 sack season (at age 30), but it's not a terrible idea. Get someone else to take attention away from Peppers and you can move Izzy back into the rotation between DT and DE and improve the pass rush at both positions.

He averaged 3.5 his first 5 years in the league.  He sucks and was a fluke.  Like Tommie Harris.

That's a possible explanation, but it would also keep his price down from what a 12 sack guy would normally demand. I'm sure the opportunity to play opposite of Peppers and not having to worry about the extra attention that he would  normally draw after a year like that may be incentive to take less money to come to Chicago. I doubt the Bears would overpay him. Hell, they had an opt out clause that would have allowed them to walk free from Peppers this offseason if he'd have gone bust. Either way, they wouldn't be depending on him to be "the guy" and the more pass rushers they have, the better.

Also, a lot of his struggles in Houston came from the fact that he was a poor fit as an OLB in a 3-4. Tennessee is awesome at coaching their DE's, and you NO ROD MARINARA WILL COOCH HIM INTO A MAULIN RUSH MAN!

Yeah.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:40 AM »
This doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm not sure why the Bears would trade Olsen at this point, since he's their only proven red zone target, he actually played fairly well last year, he's still cheap, and the playoff game against Seattle should have quieted the whole "Martz NEVAR throws to the tight end crap," but what I really don't get is why Rosenhaus would say the Bears would be "generous" in compensation for him. Fuck that. They have no incentive to get rid of him. Who cares if he's unhappy about his salary? He's cheap and they have plenty of cap room and if they don't get a decent pick for him they'd be better off just keeping him for the 5-8 TDs he's going to get anyway. This isn't a high-priced vet they need to dump, so why would anyone think they'd just be willing to flip him? Guh. I'm no huge fan of Greg but this makes no sense from any angle.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
DPD. Your new punter is Adam Podlesh: http://es.pn/qUmx2u. He landed almost half his punts within the 20 last year, so huzzah.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2011, 07:40:40 AM
This doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm not sure why the Bears would trade Olsen at this point, since he's their only proven red zone target, he actually played fairly well last year, he's still cheap, and the playoff game against Seattle should have quieted the whole "Martz NEVAR throws to the tight end crap," but what I really don't get is why Rosenhaus would say the Bears would be "generous" in compensation for him. Fuck that. They have no incentive to get rid of him. Who cares if he's unhappy about his salary? He's cheap and they have plenty of cap room and if they don't get a decent pick for him they'd be better off just keeping him for the 5-8 TDs he's going to get anyway. This isn't a high-priced vet they need to dump, so why would anyone think they'd just be willing to flip him? Guh. I'm no huge fan of Greg but this makes no sense from any angle.

B/c he's not that good and they have 5 other TEs that could just as easily catch 5-8 TDs, along with watch 6-8 other opportunities in the red zone get thrown to the other team by Utler.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 28, 2011, 09:24:41 AM

B/c he's not that good and they have 5 other TEs that could just as easily catch 5-8 TDs, along with watch 6-8 other opportunities in the red zone get thrown to the other team by Utler.

I agree that he's replaceable, but I don't see the sudden need to trade him, especially if Rosenhaus is right and the Bears aren't asking much in return. The fact that he's expendable doesn't mean they have to just dump him on somebody. As little as he makes there's no harm in keeping him and using him this season if they can't get more than a garbage pick for him.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2011, 09:34:31 AM

I agree that he's replaceable, but I don't see the sudden need to trade him, especially if Rosenhaus is right and the Bears aren't asking much in return. The fact that he's expendable doesn't mean they have to just dump him on somebody. As little as he makes there's no harm in keeping him and using him this season if they can't get more than a garbage pick for him.

When you say This do you mean the whole This or is there some story out there on the web that says Olsen has been traded?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 28, 2011, 09:42:07 AM

When you say This do you mean the whole This or is there some story out there on the web that says Olsen has been traded?

Since SKO has information that we don't have access to, he was cc'd on the email that Greg's agent "accidentally" sent out to a bunch of teams, then tried to unsend it a few minutes later.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 28, 2011, 09:42:07 AM

Forgot to hyper-link. Rosenhaus apparently sent an e-mail asking if anyone wanted to be Greg Olsen's secret girlfriend with a box for Yes or No and then said the Bears would be "generous" about compensation. Then he retracted it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »
Bears acquired Matt Spaeth from the Steelers, so Greg is definitely out. Assuming they get one of the tackles that they're targetting and a center, the issue of protecting Cutler seems front and center this offseason. Seems to be a novel approach. Let's see how this turns out, just for shits and giggles.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2011, 12:14:32 PM
Bears acquired Matt Spaeth from the Steelers, so Greg is definitely out. Assuming they get one of the tackles that they're targetting and a center, the issue of protecting Cutler seems front and center this offseason. Seems to be a novel approach. Let's see how this turns out, just for shits and giggles.

Or, like the rest of the known world, you could run around screaming FIRE THE BASTARDS until something happens.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM

Or, like the rest of the known world, you could run around screaming FIRE THE BASTARDS until something happens.

Bushrod's down, back with the Saints. I'd expect the Bears to go after Willie Colon hard now.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
Tim Shaw's Butt Buddy reports the Bears will release Manumaleuna and that this may open the door for Olsen to stay. He also fondly remembers Tim Shaw's gentle caress and flighty accent that would send shivers down his back fat rolls.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2011, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM

Bushrod's down, back with the Saints. I'd expect the Bears to go after Willie Colon hard now.

Oh, for Christ sake. PAUSE

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
Now Tim Shaw's Sensual Lover says that the Olsen shit is still going down and the Bears are looking to cut him loose similar to the way Tim Shaw used to cut loose on the dance floor at their private salsa lessons that one time on holiday in Key West.