News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,239 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 12, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 12, 2013, 11:36:00 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 12, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 11, 2013, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 11, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
Quote from: R-V on December 11, 2013, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: Bort on December 11, 2013, 01:59:36 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 11, 2013, 01:16:18 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 11, 2013, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 11, 2013, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 10, 2013, 03:33:06 PM
Who have McCown's Bears beaten that's worth a shit?

You can only beat the team that's in front of you, son.

Except for the times you can't.

That's when you establish the run to set up play action.

Then you're more than 60% of the way to being on first down already.

This is absolutely staggering.

Sports for the Layperson: Complex Sports Concepts Boiled Down to Their Essence (Not Literally Boiled Down, That's a Metaphor (a Concept I Also Explain in the Book)) by Gil Gunderson.

I LOL'd.

As did I.

That is a very funny way to start my day.  Nicely done.

Which you started 60% of the way home.

Pretty sure the joke is supposed to be "which you started 60% of the way to work."

Since you start at home and then go on to work (or first base.) 

I hate myself.

The only problem with RV's title is that Gil would have to then call himself out for using "literally" instead of "figuratively"
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 12, 2013, 12:54:48 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 12, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 12, 2013, 11:36:00 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 12, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 11, 2013, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 11, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
Quote from: R-V on December 11, 2013, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: Bort on December 11, 2013, 01:59:36 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 11, 2013, 01:16:18 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 11, 2013, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 11, 2013, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 10, 2013, 03:33:06 PM
Who have McCown's Bears beaten that's worth a shit?

You can only beat the team that's in front of you, son.

Except for the times you can't.

That's when you establish the run to set up play action.

Then you're more than 60% of the way to being on first down already.

This is absolutely staggering.

Sports for the Layperson: Complex Sports Concepts Boiled Down to Their Essence (Not Literally Boiled Down, That's a Metaphor (a Concept I Also Explain in the Book)) by Gil Gunderson.

I LOL'd.

As did I.

That is a very funny way to start my day.  Nicely done.

Which you started 60% of the way home.

Pretty sure the joke is supposed to be "which you started 60% of the way to work."

Since you start at home and then go on to work (or first base.) 

I hate myself.

The only problem with RV's title is that Gil would have to then call himself out for using "literally" instead of "figuratively"

No, he clarifies that he doesn't mean literally.

Lance Briggs was on the practice field today according to Zaidman. Don't know if he literally practiced football or not. That part wasn't clear.

Sounds like Cutler is a go for Sunday. I haven't been this nervous for a professional football game in several weeks.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
If Jay throws an interception on Sunday it's going to be a meatball apocalypse.

Or maybe when he throws his first interception.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2013, 01:29:55 PM

There's probably going to be FAR too much weight put on these next few games, regarding Cutler's future.

Granted, that's what happens when you've played 5 uneven years, but still the opportunity for overreaction is off the charts.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 12, 2013, 01:37:33 PM

There's probably going to be FAR too much weight put on these next few games, regarding Cutler's future.

Granted, that's what happens when you've played 5 uneven years, but still the opportunity for overreaction is off the charts.

It doesn't help that McCown's last start came against the #32 ranked defense in the NFL, and Cutler will be going against the #7 Browns. Even if he throws for a 240 yards and 2 TDs with a 95 rating or whatever that will still look bad in comparison to the THREE STRAIGHT 300 YARD GAMES FOR THE FIRST TIME EVAR (against the Rams, Vikings, and Cowboys. Hey did we mention he lost two of those games?) JOSH MCCOWEN.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 12, 2013, 02:40:24 PM

It doesn't help that McCown's last start came against the #32 ranked defense in the NFL, and Cutler will be going against the #7 Browns. Even if he throws for a 240 yards and 2 TDs with a 95 rating or whatever that will still look bad in comparison to the THREE STRAIGHT 300 YARD GAMES FOR THE FIRST TIME EVAR (against the Rams, Vikings, and Cowboys. Hey did we mention he lost two of those games?) JOSH MCCOWEN.

I'm not putting MCCOWEN in the same category as Brian Griese because of the Vikings loss, which was as much his fault as Trestman, Robbie or the defense but I'm using them in the same sentence out of spite.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »

As much as I want to go with the "McCown lost a few games" argument only the Vikings game was really maybe his fault. The defense has been horrible so to pin a loss strictly on him would be a bit unfair.

That said, he's just simply not as good as Cutler full stop. I'm looking forward to Jay taking what he learned from watching the offense and applying it to his hosecock of an arm.

Also, I really enjoy how angry this makes people like my brother.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 12, 2013, 03:27:55 PM

As much as I want to go with the "McCown lost a few games" argument only the Vikings game was really maybe his fault. The defense has been horrible so to pin a loss strictly on him would be a bit unfair.

That said, he's just simply not as good as Cutler full stop. I'm looking forward to Jay taking what he learned from watching the offense and applying it to his hosecock of an arm.

What is your brother's take?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »

Good idea to lay the groundwork for your Cutler excuses now, rather than waiting until right after the game he's going to blow.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 12, 2013, 03:34:25 PM

He just hates Cutler. He thinks he's the worst. I think it's based on him as a person. Not sure if he knows someone who's given him some insight or whatever but he got really heated when I told him he's a dope for thinking that McCown should start full time.

The big question I'd ask tje "McCown for full time starter" crowd would be: where are you expecting this team to go? If they even make the playoffs, what happens then? They get stomped because their defense can't stop anyone. Is that going to make you happy? Or do they just want McCown to be named the starter until he dies so that Cutler is exiled and Emery can get to work on building the defense back up? If that's the case this isn't about the playoffs at all.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 12, 2013, 03:35:58 PM

Good idea to lay the groundwork for your Cutler excuses now, rather than waiting until right after the game he's going to blow.

SKO knows that the best apologists give excuses from ALL sides of a story.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 12, 2013, 03:38:34 PM
He just hates Cutler. He thinks he's the worst. I think it's based on him as a person.

I'd believe that. If Cutler were as nice and media friendly as Mark Grace, he'd be beloved in a way this town has never seen. 

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 12, 2013, 03:59:32 PM
He just hates Cutler. He thinks he's the worst. I think it's based on him as a person.

I'd believe that. If Cutler were as nice and media friendly as Mark Grace, he'd be beloved in a way this town has never seen.  

What?

No, Chuck.

He'd still have 1 playoff win in 5 years with 71 picks in 64 games.

He might not be feeling the wrath of Slak's brother, but he sure as shit wouldn't be any of these guys.

Plus I assume a couple hockey guys.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 12, 2013, 03:34:25 PM

He just hates Cutler. He thinks he's the worst. I think it's based on him as a person. Not sure if he knows someone who's given him some insight or whatever but he got really heated when I told him he's a dope for thinking that McCown should start full time.

The big question I'd ask tje "McCown for full time starter" crowd would be: where are you expecting this team to go? If they even make the playoffs, what happens then? They get stomped because their defense can't stop anyone. Is that going to make you happy? Or do they just want McCown to be named the starter until he dies so that Cutler is exiled and Emery can get to work on building the defense back up? If that's the case this isn't about the playoffs at all.

So, would he want to catch balls from Josh, then? Is that what he thinks, too?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
I feel like the idea that Cutler getting paid will keep them from re-building the defense is misleading. For one, it sounds like the cap is going up to $127 mildo next year, which'll help, but also where are these great defensive free agents that are going to take up that much cap room going to come from?

I'm willing to bet I've spent more time staring breathlessly at lists of 2014 NFL free agents than anyone here and I don't think the Cutler contract is going to keep Phil from landing the non-existent great players who will immediately fix all of our problems. Can you think of many mega-deal defensive free agents in the last few years who've been worth the money more than QBs who got extended? The Peppers deal is the closest I can think of, and even that has it's major drawbacks, as we are seeing.

Considering the defensive money coming Off of the books, there should be more than enough to re-sign Cutler, keep the offense intact, and just accept that the defense is a multi-year project that will require draft picks and more moderate free agent signings (more like DJ Williams and whatnot) to fix, and thus won't require the massive cap space people think.