News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,244 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
Quote from: MAD on January 27, 2010, 01:46:14 PM
He should go in as an Expo. 

I agree.  After all, it's the uniform he wore during the only season he was able to crack a .900 OPS.

(Just kidding, everyone.  Good for the Hawk.)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
This is Phil Rogers' opinion.  He is entitled to his opinion.  I just wish that he would write more coherent run-on sentences.

"Along with guys such as Tim Raines, Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon, Ellis Valentine, Warren Cromartie, Larry Parrish and Tim Wallach — among others — he was part of a remarkable run for the Expos' player development staff and, no matter what he thinks about the turf at Olympic Stadium, belongs more to Montreal's fans than any among us in Chicago."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 28, 2010, 01:52:05 PM
This is Phil Rogers' opinion.  He is entitled to his opinion.  I just wish that he would write more coherent run-on sentences.

"Along with guys such as Tim Raines, Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon, Ellis Valentine, Warren Cromartie, Larry Parrish and Tim Wallach — among others — he was part of a remarkable run for the Expos' player development staff and, no matter what he thinks about the turf at Olympic Stadium, belongs more to Montreal's fans than any among us in Chicago."

So, +9 for the Expos then?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
Rusty Staub is going to hunt down Bea Arthur and murder him.

And que Charlie Lea?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 28, 2010, 02:19:44 PM

And que Charlie Lea?

Rusty Staub came up with the Colt .45s.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 28, 2010, 02:31:48 PM

And que Charlie Lea?

And went down on many younger than 45 as well?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
Quote from: MAD on January 28, 2010, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 28, 2010, 02:31:48 PM

And que Charlie Lea?

And went down on many younger than 45 as well?

You're welcome.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
If the Expos had any fans, those people might have gone to games occasionally where they'd have developed fond memories of The Hawk. But alas...
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 28, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
If the Expos had any fans, those people might have gone to games occasionally where they'd have developed fond memories of The Hawk. But alas...

They had fans, pre-1994.

Or somebody was sitting in those 2.2 + million seats when Hawk was patrolling center.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
Quote from: MAD on January 28, 2010, 05:41:24 PM

They had fans, pre-1994.

Or somebody was sitting in those 2.2 + million seats when Hawk was patrolling center.

How big was that place?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 28, 2010, 06:08:05 PM
Quote from: MAD on January 28, 2010, 05:41:24 PM

They had fans, pre-1994.

How big was that place?

It was an Olympic Stadium.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I don't feel like quoting things, but this is an interesting read: http://wezen-ball.com/2010-articles/january/dawsons-blank-check.html

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »
It's an interesting read, but I don't think this guy's history is particularly accurate. Dawson was unhappy with the $$. Unfortunately, the combination of collusion, the fact he was excessively open about wanting to play in Chicago, the and Dallas Green's knowledge that he had a farm system that would in short order turn out studs that would threaten to make the Cubs the team of the 90s gave Dawson no leverage.

Montreal offered him a pay cut, but it was more than twice what the Cubs paid in 1987. However, make no mistake about it: Dawson made it clear he wasn't going back to Montreal. In fact, he was nearly a White Sock in 1986. True story, the Sox, Mariners and Expos had a three-way deal worked out that would have included Dawson and David Henderson. The deal fell apart when the Red Sox offered more to the Mariners for Henderson.

Had this guy done some searching (and maybe later I'll provide the research), he would have found some Tribune articles during the entire offseason that featured Andre Dawson talking up Chicago and particularly the north side. He hit very well in the day. He was not going to thrive on artificial turf. He loved interacting with the fans in the right-field bleachers (racism wasn't introduced out there until Jacque Jones became a Cub). This is all true. Let me find the articles for you. But Hawk had no leverage. He had decided he was going to be a Cub and was willing to do so for less than market value.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »
Eric Byrnes walks into Jim Hendry's office with a blank check..

KarryLing

• Administrator
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
...and Hendry buys lunch with it?
"In any time, on any team, anyplace, Ryne Sandberg's a Hall of Famer. There's just no question about it." Desipio.com 11/30/04