News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: National Tonkoon's Vacation  ( 51,800 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: National Tonkoon's Vacation
« Reply #450 on: August 18, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
*glares balefully at the stupid toddler that kept me from coming out to pretty much everything*
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: August 18, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 17, 2015, 09:31:18 PM
So, here we are.  After a day at the Museum of Science and Industry* and dinner at Hot G Dogs (again), we're about done.  Five weeks almost exactly since we arrived in Humboldt Park, we're packing up to head home tomorrow.

I said before the trip began that I was looking to try to experience a few weeks life as an American, to see a little bit of America as you guys see it, and I really think we managed that.  Yes, we did some touristy stuff along the way - nothing that didn't turn out to be really fucking cool, by the way - but five weeks was enough to really settle down, take our time, figure out how things work and, in the best possible way, not be tourists.  We even spent a couple of days doing not very much at all, which only served as yin to the busy days' yang - we never once felt like we were wasting time or not getting the most from our trip.  As holidays go, this one has been very much a game changer, and anybody who's been kind enough to meet up with us over our time here won't be surprised to hear that we have all completely fallen head-over-heels in love with American life and are very, very sad to be going back to the Netherlands tomorrow.

Without wishing to get all serious on Desipio of all places, I'd just like to thank you all for contributing in ways small or large to our holiday.  It's no exaggeration to say that we couldn't have done it without your help, advice and pro tips.  If nothing else, you should know that you have collectively had a significant hand in creating an experience that my children have absolutely adored, and will never, ever forget.

You guys are all right.

* I know I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT A MUSEUM.  There must be at least a thousand things to do and the place is absolutely crawling with really, really cool and knowledgeable staff whose only wish is to make sure you have a good time.  If you have kids, or are one yourself, and you haven't been there yet, you're a cunt.

P.S. We bumped into Hawk on the El this morning.  We saw him get on, but he didn't see us, so we sent the kids down the carriage to say hello.  The look of confusion, slowly turning to panic, on his face as he found himself unexpectedly surrounded by Tonklets with no grown-up Tonk in sight, was something to behold.  I'm ashamed to say, I laughed long and hard before making myself known to the poor bugger.

Looking forward to the day when we can see STonk and the Tonklets again.

And you, too. Or not. We're good either way.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »
So, here we are.  After a day at the Museum of Science and Industry* and dinner at Hot G Dogs (again), we're about done.  Five weeks almost exactly since we arrived in Humboldt Park, we're packing up to head home tomorrow.

I said before the trip began that I was looking to try to experience a few weeks life as an American, to see a little bit of America as you guys see it, and I really think we managed that.  Yes, we did some touristy stuff along the way - nothing that didn't turn out to be really fucking cool, by the way - but five weeks was enough to really settle down, take our time, figure out how things work and, in the best possible way, not be tourists.  We even spent a couple of days doing not very much at all, which only served as yin to the busy days' yang - we never once felt like we were wasting time or not getting the most from our trip.  As holidays go, this one has been very much a game changer, and anybody who's been kind enough to meet up with us over our time here won't be surprised to hear that we have all completely fallen head-over-heels in love with American life and are very, very sad to be going back to the Netherlands tomorrow.

Without wishing to get all serious on Desipio of all places, I'd just like to thank you all for contributing in ways small or large to our holiday.  It's no exaggeration to say that we couldn't have done it without your help, advice and pro tips.  If nothing else, you should know that you have collectively had a significant hand in creating an experience that my children have absolutely adored, and will never, ever forget.

You guys are all right.

* I know I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT A MUSEUM.  There must be at least a thousand things to do and the place is absolutely crawling with really, really cool and knowledgeable staff whose only wish is to make sure you have a good time.  If you have kids, or are one yourself, and you haven't been there yet, you're a cunt.

P.S. We bumped into Hawk on the El this morning.  We saw him get on, but he didn't see us, so we sent the kids down the carriage to say hello.  The look of confusion, slowly turning to panic, on his face as he found himself unexpectedly surrounded by Tonklets with no grown-up Tonk in sight, was something to behold.  I'm ashamed to say, I laughed long and hard before making myself known to the poor bugger.

+1. My wife, who was not sure if she could come due to being extremely hungover, was really glad to have come with me. She thought the Tonklets and STonk were fantastic...

And that's it

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
So how did that car seat from Amazon work out?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: August 18, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »

You guys are all right.

I was on my WALKMAN. Seriously, the only person who may have laughed more than you about was me.  For a second I was wondering if you took the 3 card monte discussion Fork and I had at Wishbone to heart and was having the kids do a bit of grifting to help pay for the trip.

Glad you all had a great time and make sure Htonk knows he will be hearing from HawkJr soon. 
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
I wish I could have gotten together with the Tonks more than the once. You're Desipio's de Toqueville. Safe travels back to Europe, until you immigrate here for good.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »

You guys are all right.

This is pretty great to hear, and even though I have much less history with you than most here I'm really glad you've enjoyed it so much.  Just my blind, unquestioning patriotism.  It sounds like you planned it perfectly and everything went as you'd hoped, and to top it off the Cubs are actually good now.  (A little West Coast next time, perhaps.  AT&T Park is perfect and SF MoMA should reopen in their new building by then, just to name two.  Plus, you get Stew.)

What was your favorite ice cream shop in rural Buttpuddle, Iowa, though?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 18, 2015, 01:37:42 PM

You guys are all right.

This is pretty great to hear, and even though I have much less history with you than most here I'm really glad you've enjoyed it so much.  Just my blind, unquestioning patriotism.  It sounds like you planned it perfectly and everything went as you'd hoped, and to top it off the Cubs are actually good now.  (A little West Coast next time, perhaps.  AT&T Park is perfect and SF MoMA should reopen in their new building by then, just to name two.  Plus, you get Stew.)

Hey, the man actually went to Whitey's and I expect he gave it a stellar review, so back off.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2015, 01:41:43 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 18, 2015, 01:37:42 PM

You guys are all right.

Hey, the man actually went to Whitey's and I expect he gave it a stellar review, so back off.

I did indeed.  We stopped in Iowa City specifically to visit Whitey's, and their ice cream was fucking delicious.  While we're on the subject of Iowa, though:

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Is that RedBeard?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
well, as long as you agree the Whitey's was great.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
Fuck you for posting that thing

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 19, 2015, 12:21:21 PM
Fuck you for posting that thing
At first I thought that it was my high school yearbook picture.  (Except that it is in color, which hadn't been invented when I was in high school.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs