News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twatheads Twittering  ( 213,959 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twatheads Twittering
« Reply #915 on: August 11, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 11, 2015, 01:03:30 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 12:16:11 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 11, 2015, 12:13:40 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 12:01:49 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 11:58:34 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 11:53:25 AM
I was a big fan in '03--found him shortly after Desipio....lotta people here couldn't tolerate the poor chap one lick, and I guess he freely reciprocated the hate, but I was never put off by any of his wrong takes. He has as much Cub-caused pain as the rest of us so who am I to judge.

Don't you despite Al more than anyone? Isn't Al almost purely defined by his wrong takes and constant moaning about his Cub related pain?

Al wasn't calling people Antonio Alfucksucka in 2003, and that RAGE WRITING helped balm the pain that was that 6-fingered fuck.

Ahh. He's a vulgar Yellon. That makes sense.

I just pretty much tune out anyone the second they say "they won't do X because they're the Cubs!" At that point I just have to write you off. If you're going to be that fatalistic about it don't bother the rest of us. I know we all have scars and doubts but if you're going to go so far as to say this team's focus right now, while 3.5 up for a playoff spot, should be on 2016 because "I've seen better Cubs teams lose in the playoffs", then please go away.

I never liked the guy's posts or his opinions. There were people around here who thought he was awesome and one of those people was Kurt Evans. He wrote one blog post about talking to semi celebrities in the bathroom at the Cubs Convention which was borderline disgusting (I don't throw that word around lightly) and painfully awkward. There was a small group of us who complained about him and wondered if anybody else was going to speak up and give the guy what for. Eventually he disappeared and I never thought about him again. I guess he's on Twitter, so there he stays hopefully.

Okay. I feel validated. He's a dope.

I went to a ballgame with him some years ago.  He's a really nice guy.  I haven't paid any attention to his opinions in a while though.  I think one can maintain friendliness with someone despite thinking he's not very smart about the Cubs.

C  H  U  C  K

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #916 on: August 11, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 11, 2015, 02:40:40 PM
I was a big fan in '03--found him shortly after Desipio....lotta people here couldn't tolerate the poor chap one lick, and I guess he freely reciprocated the hate, but I was never put off by any of his wrong takes. He has as much Cub-caused pain as the rest of us so who am I to judge.

Don't you despite Al more than anyone? Isn't Al almost purely defined by his wrong takes and constant moaning about his Cub related pain?

Al wasn't calling people Antonio Alfucksucka in 2003, and that RAGE WRITING helped balm the pain that was that 6-fingered fuck.

I just pretty much tune out anyone the second they say "they won't do X because they're the Cubs!" At that point I just have to write you off. If you're going to be that fatalistic about it don't bother the rest of us. I know we all have scars and doubts but if you're going to go so far as to say this team's focus right now, while 3.5 up for a playoff spot, should be on 2016 because "I've seen better Cubs teams lose in the playoffs", then please go away.

I never liked the guy's posts or his opinions. There were people around here who thought he was awesome and one of those people was Kurt Evans. He wrote one blog post about talking to semi celebrities in the bathroom at the Cubs Convention which was borderline disgusting (I don't throw that word around lightly) and painfully awkward. There was a small group of us who complained about him and wondered if anybody else was going to speak up and give the guy what for. Eventually he disappeared and I never thought about him again. I guess he's on Twitter, so there he stays hopefully.

I went to a ballgame with him some years ago.  He's a really nice guy.  I haven't paid any attention to his opinions in a while though. I think one can maintain friendliness with someone despite thinking he's not very smart about the Cubs.

C  H  U  C  K

The gap in likeability between Internet Chuck and Real Life Chuck is one of life's great mysteries. Usually it's the total anonymity of the internet what makes a person a monster. I just hope it's not hereditary. His son's internet opinions are perfectly tolerable.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #917 on: August 11, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 11, 2015, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 01:08:22 PM

I went to a ballgame with him some years ago.  He's a really nice guy.  I haven't paid any attention to his opinions in a while though.  I think one can maintain friendliness with someone despite thinking he's not very smart about the Cubs.

I'm sure that's true, but looking back at some of his posts on desipio and a quick google search of his long since defunct blog has turned up some fairly misogynistic garbage (among other rancid shit) that I find rather unappealing. Either way, whatever he is in real life if his internet opinions of the Cub consist of THEY'LL LOSE BECAUSE GOLLY GOSH THEY'RE THE CUBS, he's better off not sharing them loudly with other people.

He was a good read in 2003-2005, but the Cubs began to have an outsize effect on his life. I think he started the blog almost as therapy, to vent on his frustration with the team. But I don't think it worked. For awhile, he worked in Des Plaines and lived in Coal City so he was putting a couple million miles on his car every week. Does anyone remember the Latroy Hawkins game, in which he caught a line drive in the ninth inning and threw to first in an effort to double off Chase Utley and instead chucked it into the bullpen, allowing the tying and go-ahead runs to score? Sloth literally drove off the road and wrecked his car. He was also fired for blogging, as his musings were hardly safe for work.

He's not a bad guy, and I've met him a couple of times. But he was scarred beyond recognition thanks to 2003-2004-2005.

Was that the time LaTroy bounced a throw off the runner's helmet? Or was that a different time? Or am I hallucinating bad Cubs memories again?

Edited because Google is my friend: That was Jose Offerman's helmet. Good times.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #918 on: August 11, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »

Ah, Sloth's still OK by me.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #919 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 11, 2015, 03:14:39 PM

I'm sure that's true, but looking back at some of his posts on desipio and a quick google search of his long since defunct blog has turned up some fairly misogynistic garbage (among other rancid shit) that I find rather unappealing. Either way, whatever he is in real life if his internet opinions of the Cub consist of THEY'LL LOSE BECAUSE GOLLY GOSH THEY'RE THE CUBS, he's better off not sharing them loudly with other people.

He was a good read in 2003-2005, but the Cubs began to have an outsize effect on his life. I think he started the blog almost as therapy, to vent on his frustration with the team. But I don't think it worked. For awhile, he worked in Des Plaines and lived in Coal City so he was putting a couple million miles on his car every week. Does anyone remember the Latroy Hawkins game, in which he caught a line drive in the ninth inning and threw to first in an effort to double off Chase Utley and instead chucked it into the bullpen, allowing the tying and go-ahead runs to score? Sloth literally drove off the road and wrecked his car. He was also fired for blogging, as his musings were hardly safe for work.

He's not a bad guy, and I've met him a couple of times. But he was scarred beyond recognition thanks to 2003-2004-2005.

Was that the time LaTroy bounced a throw off the runner's helmet? Or was that a different time? Or am I hallucinating bad Cubs memories again?

Edited because Google is my friend: That was Jose Offerman's helmet. Good times.

It was the "Kal Daniels" moment of the twenty-aughts.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #920 on: August 11, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 11, 2015, 03:14:39 PM

Besides being able to replay the Kal Daniels moment in my head to this day - I don't have much context. WHY do we remember it? Because it was stupid as hell? Or because it cost a good team something? I don't recall the Cubs being good AT ALL during that time.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #921 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:04:21 PM
Quote from: R-V on August 11, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:02:59 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
Someone could easily check if he still lurks. Betting he does. And he's probably reading this all and feeling kinda low.

So uh. Not nice?

Well he called me a "dogfuck" and replied "fuck you and yours" to my statement that I hope Theo doesn't run the team based on his own "shitty jaded experiences and superstition" when he said they couldn't win because he's "seen it too many times", so I could really care less about his feelings.

How much less?

DAMMIT RV I THOUGHT I HAD FIXED IT IN TIME

Eh, it's fine. It's a perfectly valid colloquialism with fairly common informal usage, and anyone who puts as much Trader Joe's Catsup on his Hot Dog Pizza Strips as RV does shouldn't throw stones.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 11, 2015, 11:10:52 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:04:21 PM
Quote from: R-V on August 11, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:02:59 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
Someone could easily check if he still lurks. Betting he does. And he's probably reading this all and feeling kinda low.

So uh. Not nice?

Well he called me a "dogfuck" and replied "fuck you and yours" to my statement that I hope Theo doesn't run the team based on his own "shitty jaded experiences and superstition" when he said they couldn't win because he's "seen it too many times", so I could really care less about his feelings.

How much less?

DAMMIT RV I THOUGHT I HAD FIXED IT IN TIME

Eh, it's fine. It's a perfectly valid colloquialism with fairly common informal usage, and anyone who puts as much Trader Joe's Catsup on his Hot Dog Pizza Strips as RV does shouldn't throw stones.

Hot Dog Pizza eh?

(sprints to kitchen to put chopped up Oscar Mayer wieners on a Jack's cheese pizza)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2015, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 03:36:37 PM

Besides being able to replay the Kal Daniels moment in my head to this day - I don't have much context. WHY do we remember it? Because it was stupid as hell? Or because it cost a good team something? I don't recall the Cubs being good AT ALL during that time.

I feel like I could write a book on the '92 Cubs.  Looking back, the time between the Don Zimmer dismissal in mid-'91 and the Ed Lynch dismissal in mid-2000 encapsulated the Tribune legacy perfectly--the optimal equilibrium of "be good enough to not suck, and make sure the park was packed".  The fruits of this method were most actualized in  the mid 90's (1992, 1993, 1995, 1996 are almost identically mediocre teams).  

And '92 was the first of these seasons.  Prior to the previous season in 1991 the Tribune Company went on what appeared to be an impulsive spending spree.  This was largely the end result of their own hubris at firing Dallas Green four years prior to that in 1987.  While they plucked a Divisional Championship in '89--thanks in part to the talent accrued by then-since departed Green-- the management team they did hire, led by Jim Frey and Don Grenesko, slowly frittered away most of their talent without replenishing any of it and by the time 1991 rolled around, they felt the answer was do what they did in the early days of Tribune ownership in 1984--stock the team with some veterans and go for it.  So they threw money at Danny Jackson, Dave Smith and Jorge Bell, none of whom besides Bell did anything productive which resulted in a regime change.  The big message was clear--no more SPLASHY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS STOP WASTING MONEY EVERYONE'S COMING TO THE PARK ANYWAY LET'S JUST.  TRY THAT.  Basically, the type of thinking that eventually went into not locking up Maddux long-term.

But this is all clearer in retrospect.  Medicority By Design.   At the time however, it was just getting underway and the '92 team did have Maddux, and had Sosa, and still had Dawson, Sandberg and Dunston.  And on July 1st of that year, they were 38-38 as they attempted to sweep a three-game series vs. a not-very-good-and-about-to-get-much-worse Mets team.  The Cubs had won 5 of 6, and ended the month of June in 2nd place, 5 games back of the two-time NL East champion Pirates.  

Nursing a 1-run lead in the 8th inning, Cub reliever Jeff Robinson gave up a 2-out, 2-RBI double to Eddie Murray and all seemed lost. The Cubs answered in the bottom half of the 8th, however, without the benefit of a hit when Sandberg led off  by coaxing a walk off of David Cone, whose wild pitch moved Sanderg to second, before Sandberg eventually scored on a Derrick May Sac Fly.

After Paul Assenmacher pitched around a leadoff single to former Cub Chico Walker in the 9th to escape unscathed, newly-acquired Kal Daniels singled with one out in the bottom half of the frame for the Cubs.  Facing Mets reliever Jeff Innis, Cub infielder Jose Vizcaino (I can still remember this hit) lined a ball over the first base bag and all the way into the right field corner.  Though there was only 1 out, Daniels was on pace to score standing up as the ball had to be retrieved so far from the action (In fact, I'm 94% certain that Daniels was off with the pitch but I could be mistaken).  

As Daniels rounded third with what would be the winning run, the Cubs' 6th victory in their last 7, putting them above .500 for the first time since they had been 1-0 on Opening Day (and after having been 7 games under .500 as recently as June 3rd) and cutting their NL East deficit to 4.5 games....with all of that happy fun stuff hanging in the balance...Daniels inexplicably tripped on his own two feet, about 15 feet from the plate, well before the throw came in, which eventually came in, caught by future Cub hero Todd Hundley, who applied the tag to a prone Daniels.  It was awful.

Though  Sandberg singled two more times in extra innings, the only other baserunner the Cubs had the rest of the way was Rey Sanchez thanks to a walk and eventually the Cubs (predictably) lost the game in 12, and lost 9 out of their next 11 afterward.  

So I think it was a combination of the Cubs being somewhat competitive at that particular point in time  (though not really in general) with the iconic image of their oafish new slugger falling down for no good reason while representing the winning run that has etched the whole play indelibly on our collective memory.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #924 on: August 12, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »
Seriously I am loving 90s Cubs History Day on Desipio. I'm not joking.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #925 on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 12, 2015, 10:52:52 AM

I feel like I could write a book on the '92 Cubs.  Looking back, the time between the Don Zimmer dismissal in mid-'91 and the Ed Lynch dismissal in mid-2000 encapsulated the Tribune legacy perfectly--the optimal equilibrium of "be good enough to not suck, and make sure the park was packed".  The fruits of this method were most actualized in  the mid 90's (1992, 1993, 1995, 1996 are almost identically mediocre teams).  

And '92 was the first of these seasons.  Prior to the previous season in 1991 the Tribune Company went on what appeared to be an impulsive spending spree.  This was largely the end result of their own hubris at firing Dallas Green four years prior to that in 1987.  While they plucked a Divisional Championship in '89--thanks in part to the talent accrued by then-since departed Green-- the management team they did hire, led by Jim Frey and Don Grenesko, slowly frittered away most of their talent without replenishing any of it and by the time 1991 rolled around, they felt the answer was do what they did in the early days of Tribune ownership in 1984--stock the team with some veterans and go for it.  So they threw money at Danny Jackson, Dave Smith and Jorge Bell, none of whom besides Bell did anything productive which resulted in a regime change.  The big message was clear--no more SPLASHY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS STOP WASTING MONEY EVERYONE'S COMING TO THE PARK ANYWAY LET'S JUST.  TRY THAT.  Basically, the type of thinking that eventually went into not locking up Maddux long-term.

But this is all clearer in retrospect.  Medicority By Design.   At the time however, it was just getting underway and the '92 team did have Maddux, and had Sosa, and still had Dawson, Sandberg and Dunston.  And on July 1st of that year, they were 38-38 as they attempted to sweep a three-game series vs. a not-very-good-and-about-to-get-much-worse Mets team.  The Cubs had won 5 of 6, and ended the month of June in 2nd place, 5 games back of the two-time NL East champion Pirates.  

Nursing a 1-run lead in the 8th inning, Cub reliever Jeff Robinson gave up a 2-out, 2-RBI double to Eddie Murray and all seemed lost. The Cubs answered in the bottom half of the 8th, however, without the benefit of a hit when Sandberg led off  by coaxing a walk off of David Cone, whose wild pitch moved Sanderg to second, before Sandberg eventually scored on a Derrick May Sac Fly.

After Paul Assenmacher pitched around a leadoff single to former Cub Chico Walker in the 9th to escape unscathed, newly-acquired Kal Daniels singled with one out in the bottom half of the frame for the Cubs.  Facing Mets reliever Jeff Innis, Cub infielder Jose Vizcaino (I can still remember this hit) lined a ball over the first base bag and all the way into the right field corner.  Though there was only 1 out, Daniels was on pace to score standing up as the ball had to be retrieved so far from the action (In fact, I'm 94% certain that Daniels was off with the pitch but I could be mistaken).  

As Daniels rounded third with what would be the winning run, the Cubs' 6th victory in their last 7, putting them above .500 for the first time since they had been 1-0 on Opening Day (and after having been 7 games under .500 as recently as June 3rd) and cutting their NL East deficit to 4.5 games....with all of that happy fun stuff hanging in the balance...Daniels inexplicably tripped on his own two feet, about 15 feet from the plate, well before the throw came in, which eventually came in, caught by future Cub hero Todd Hundley, who applied the tag to a prone Daniels.  It was awful.

Though  Sandberg singled two more times in extra innings, the only other baserunner the Cubs had the rest of the way was Rey Sanchez thanks to a walk and eventually the Cubs (predictably) lost the game in 12, and lost 9 out of their next 11 afterward.  

So I think it was a combination of the Cubs being somewhat competitive at that particular point in time  (though not really in general) with the iconic image of their oafish new slugger falling down for no good reason while representing the winning run that has etched the whole play indelibly on our collective memory.

The Cubbies are coming.  Tra-la, tra-la.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #926 on: August 12, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 10:59:26 AM

Yep.  That's how they ended the month when Royko (rightfully, at the time and in retrospect) scolded us for getting so excited over a team that was 49-51.

Still a memorable series, though. 

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #927 on: August 12, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 12, 2015, 11:15:55 AM

A great PANK post.

Yep.  That's how they ended the month when Royko (rightfully, at the time and in retrospect) scolded us for getting so excited over a team that was 49-51.

God damn, we can't get writing like that anywhere anymore. No disrespect to some of the good bloggers around here, but even they don't pretend to be the Mike Royko of anything. It was columns like that one that made sports so much more enjoyable back then. Now you get a post game show with Dave F. Kaplan barking at you next to that dork Todd Hollandsworth. You get 15 Tweets in five minutes from bloggers who barely had time to hash out a useful thought on the subject hocking their typings to the masses. Don't get me wrong. More is good. But if there was still a Mike Royko to make everybody elevate his game, life would be damn near perfect right now.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #928 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 12, 2015, 11:40:30 AM

A great PANK post.

God damn, we can't get writing like that anywhere anymore. No disrespect to some of the good bloggers around here, but even they don't pretend to be the Mike Royko of anything. It was columns like that one that made sports so much more enjoyable back then. Now you get a post game show with Dave F. Kaplan barking at you next to that dork Todd Hollandsworth. You get 15 Tweets in five minutes from bloggers who barely had time to hash out a useful thought on the subject hocking their typings to the masses. Don't get me wrong. More is good. But if there was still a Mike Royko to make everybody elevate his game, life would be damn near perfect right now.

I had never heard of Royko, given my age and not being a local guy, but one of you shared his column about his calculator watch and it's still one of the funniest damn things I've ever read. So therefore I agree we need more like him.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #929 on: August 12, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 12, 2015, 11:40:30 AM

A great PANK post.

Newspapers don't want guys like Royko anymore, which is part of why I don't work in newspapers anymore.

(That's not me saying I could ever write like Mike Royko, just that their priorities suck.)