News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twatheads Twittering  ( 213,964 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twatheads Twittering
« Reply #930 on: August 12, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2015, 11:48:22 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 12, 2015, 11:40:30 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 12, 2015, 11:15:55 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 10:59:26 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 12, 2015, 10:52:52 AM

A great PANK post.

The Cubbies are coming.  Tra-la, tra-la.

Yep.  That's how they ended the month when Royko (rightfully, at the time and in retrospect) scolded us for getting so excited over a team that was 49-51.

Still a memorable series, though.  

God damn, we can't get writing like that anywhere anymore. No disrespect to some of the good bloggers around here, but even they don't pretend to be the Mike Royko of anything. It was columns like that one that made sports so much more enjoyable back then. Now you get a post game show with Dave F. Kaplan barking at you next to that dork Todd Hollandsworth. You get 15 Tweets in five minutes from bloggers who barely had time to hash out a useful thought on the subject hocking their typings to the masses. Don't get me wrong. More is good. But if there was still a Mike Royko to make everybody elevate his game, life would be damn near perfect right now.

I had never heard of Royko, given my age and not being a local guy, but one of you shared his column about his calculator watch and it's still one of the funniest damn things I've ever read. So therefore I agree we need more like him.

Seriously, pick a book.  Any book.  Read the shit out of it and then pick another book.  You will not get enough.  Trust me.  And, you'll get the best history of Chicago you'll ever want...more or less.

Boss is the one about the first Daley.

I have found that I can read Royko anytime.  Even if I've read the column before, it's still fresh and poignant and riveting.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #931 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 12:02:05 PM

A great PANK post.

Yep.  That's how they ended the month when Royko (rightfully, at the time and in retrospect) scolded us for getting so excited over a team that was 49-51.

God damn, we can't get writing like that anywhere anymore. No disrespect to some of the good bloggers around here, but even they don't pretend to be the Mike Royko of anything. It was columns like that one that made sports so much more enjoyable back then. Now you get a post game show with Dave F. Kaplan barking at you next to that dork Todd Hollandsworth. You get 15 Tweets in five minutes from bloggers who barely had time to hash out a useful thought on the subject hocking their typings to the masses. Don't get me wrong. More is good. But if there was still a Mike Royko to make everybody elevate his game, life would be damn near perfect right now.

I had never heard of Royko, given my age and not being a local guy, but one of you shared his column about his calculator watch and it's still one of the funniest damn things I've ever read. So therefore I agree we need more like him.

Seriously, pick a book.  Any book.  Read the shit out of it and then pick another book.  You will not get enough.  Trust me.  And, you'll get the best history of Chicago you'll ever want...more or less.

I have found that I can read Royko anytime.  Even if I've read the column before, it's still fresh and poignant and riveting.

Pshaw.  Since when have you been able to read?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #932 on: August 12, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »

A great PANK post.

HOLY SHIT. I SCREAMED AT MY 5 YEAR OLD SON FOR NOT KNOWING WHO MICHAEL JORDAN WAS THIS MORNING. YOU CLAIM TO BE ABLE TO READ AND YOU DON'T KNOW MIKE ROYKO? YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE ILLITERATE. OR JUST MORE WRONG THAN CHUCK.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #933 on: August 12, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 12, 2015, 12:30:03 PM

A great PANK post.

HOLY SHIT. I SCREAMED AT MY 5 YEAR OLD SON FOR NOT KNOWING WHO MICHAEL JORDAN WAS THIS MORNING. YOU CLAIM TO BE ABLE TO READ AND YOU DON'T KNOW MIKE ROYKO? YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE ILLITERATE. OR JUST MORE WRONG THAN CHUCK.

I wasn't aware of him till I discovered this collective. Since then I've read a handful of his columns linked to on here and various places by you people. The one about the watch, a particularly poignant column about Pete Rose, and this one especially I greatly enjoyed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #934 on: August 12, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2015, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 03:36:37 PM

It was the "Kal Daniels" moment of the twenty-aughts.

Besides being able to replay the Kal Daniels moment in my head to this day - I don't have much context. WHY do we remember it? Because it was stupid as hell? Or because it cost a good team something? I don't recall the Cubs being good AT ALL during that time.

I feel like I could write a book on the '92 Cubs.

I think you and I could collaborate on a jaded history of the Tribune-era Cubs and other Chicago-centric obscurities. We'd sell a couple dozen hundred thousand million copies and then retire buy vacation homes pay for our children's college educations buy nice car a cool vacation bicycles a good steak dinner a Diet Coke with the royalties.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #935 on: August 12, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2015, 12:32:18 PM

A great PANK post.

I wasn't aware of him till I discovered this collective. Since then I've read a handful of his columns linked to on here and various places by you people. The one about the watch, a particularly poignant column about Pete Rose, and this one especially I greatly enjoyed.

Greatest book review ever.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #936 on: August 12, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 12, 2015, 12:35:02 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2015, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 03:36:37 PM

It was the "Kal Daniels" moment of the twenty-aughts.

Besides being able to replay the Kal Daniels moment in my head to this day - I don't have much context. WHY do we remember it? Because it was stupid as hell? Or because it cost a good team something? I don't recall the Cubs being good AT ALL during that time.

I feel like I could write a book on the '92 Cubs.

I think you and I could collaborate on a jaded history of the Tribune-era Cubs and other Chicago-centric obscurities. We'd sell a couple dozen hundred thousand million copies and then retire buy vacation homes pay for our children's college educations buy nice car a cool vacation bicycles a good steak dinner a Diet Coke with the royalties.

I would pay upwards of $5.98 for a Kindle version of that.  $6.98 for a paperback.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #937 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 12, 2015, 12:47:44 PM

A great PANK post.

One of the best things about re-reading a Royko column is that it usually takes me about 6 words into the column to start laughing my ass off.

Edit:  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure a good deal of my hatred towards New York is borne out of Royko columns.  I don't think I've ever realized that before.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #938 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 01:06:55 PM

A great PANK post.

One of the best things about re-reading a Royko column is that it usually takes me about 6 words into the column to start laughing my ass off.

Edit:  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure a good deal of my hatred towards New York is borne out of Royko columns.  I don't think I've ever realized that before.

I always figured Chicago people hating New York City was like a White Sox/Cubs inferiority complex kind of thing.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #939 on: August 12, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

A great PANK post.

I might still have a clipping of his Dave Dingdong one somewhere.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #940 on: August 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 12, 2015, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 01:06:55 PM

A great PANK post.

Edit:  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure a good deal of my hatred towards New York is borne out of Royko columns.  I don't think I've ever realized that before.

I always figured Chicago people hating New York City was like a White Sox/Cubs inferiority complex kind of thing.

I don't hate NYC.  I do hate most of New York's sports teams. I guess that's what I meant.  Although, growing up in Chicago, I always had an affinity for The Yankees.

I mean, NYC isn't St Louis or Dallas, for fuck's sake.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #941 on: August 12, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM
I don't hate NYC.  I do hate most of New York's sports teams. I guess that's what I meant.  Although, growing up in Chicago, I always had an affinity for The Yankees.

Cool. I love both cities for different reasons, but I've had people try very hard to convince me that Chicago is just straight-up better than NYC (when I'm not even trying to convince them otherwise because, who cares?). Again, probably White Sox fans.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #942 on: August 12, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »

Neither do I. Now, a certain subset of New Yorkers...

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #943 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Seriously, Dallas and St Louis both suck.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #944 on: August 12, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 12, 2015, 02:08:17 PM

Cool. I love both cities for different reasons, but I've had people try very hard to convince me that Chicago is just straight-up better than NYC (when I'm not even trying to convince them otherwise because, who cares?). Again, probably White Sox fans.

I haven't spent nearly enough time in NYC to form an opinion on it but L.A. can really and truly rot in hell.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.