News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 NLCS Thread: Chicago Cubs vs. New York Mets  ( 34,650 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 NLCS Thread: America's Team vs. TBD
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 14, 2015, 10:59:27 AM
Quote from: Tonker on October 14, 2015, 10:54:03 AM
I'd give my right arm to be in Chicago, or at least to have somebody over here to talk to about it, but as I don't, you guys are going to bear the brunt.

I've just been watching the highlights from last night, again, and you know what?  If the Cubs don't win another game, I'm going to look back on 2015 as an enormous success and a hell of a lot of fun.  I'm genuinely finding it hard to put into words how fucking happy this team makes me because every time I try, I get all fucking emotional.  I'm not even kidding.

I've been an annoying detractor of the "it's all gravy now" argument, but I've reached that point now. 100-plus wins and beating the Cardinals in a playoff series is more than enough to keep me warm over the winter. I'll obviously be disappointed if they get eliminated, but I don't think it'll last very long. What a ride.

It's funny, because I have been one of the gravy people.  But now, when they have so much gravy that even Jim Hendry couldn't finish it, I'm going all-in with this team.  They are so good, and are having so much fun, and so don't give a shit about any of those things that drug down past Cubs teams and their fan base (me included)  that I am now assuming they are going to win the whole damn thing.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on October 14, 2015, 11:22:10 AM
I'd give my right arm to be in Chicago, or at least to have somebody over here to talk to about it, but as I don't, you guys are going to bear the brunt.

I've just been watching the highlights from last night, again, and you know what?  If the Cubs don't win another game, I'm going to look back on 2015 as an enormous success and a hell of a lot of fun.  I'm genuinely finding it hard to put into words how fucking happy this team makes me because every time I try, I get all fucking emotional.  I'm not even kidding.

I've been an annoying detractor of the "it's all gravy now" argument, but I've reached that point now. 100-plus wins and beating the Cardinals in a playoff series is more than enough to keep me warm over the winter. I'll obviously be disappointed if they get eliminated, but I don't think it'll last very long. What a ride.

It's funny, because I have been one of the gravy people.  But now, when they have so much gravy that even Jim Hendry couldn't finish it, I'm going all-in with this team.  They are so good, and are having so much fun, and so don't give a shit about any of those things that drug down past Cubs teams and their fan base (me included)  that I am now assuming they are going to win the whole damn thing.

While I am still very happy with where this season is and where the next five to 6 seasons appear to be going, I'm not going to be in the SKO shed-a-tear place without four more wins. I remember 1984 all too well and thinking it was going to be a good ride again in 1985 and 1986.  I thought the same in 1989.

When we got to 2003, I remember thinking, "It took them 19 years to crush me again?"

It's been 12 more years.  I'm happy.  I'm not satisfied.  And I'm not counting on next year if this doesn't pan out.

Win this fucking thing.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 14, 2015, 11:38:08 AM

While I am still very happy with where this season is and where the next five to 6 seasons appear to be going, I'm not going to be in the SKO shed-a-tear place without four more wins. I remember 1984 all too well and thinking it was going to be a good ride again in 1985 and 1986.  I thought the same in 1989.

When we got to 2003, I remember thinking, "It took them 19 years to crush me again?"

It's been 12 more years.  I'm happy.  I'm not satisfied.  And I'm not counting on next year if this doesn't pan out.

Win this fucking thing.

I agree with...Chuck?  I want a WS.  I let myself enjoy the moment for about an hour last night.  On my walk home from the bar with the dog, I stopped and got a frozen custard.  A small.  That's what this win is worth and, damnit, I want more. 4 more wins gets me a medium.  8 more gets me a large...with toppings (maybe I'll spring for a concrete).

Let's do this.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 14, 2015, 12:12:46 PM

Win this fucking thing.

I agree with...Chuck?  I want a WS.  I let myself enjoy the moment for about an hour last night.  On my walk home from the bar with the dog, I stopped and got a frozen custard.  A small.  That's what this win is worth and, damnit, I want more. 4 more wins gets me a medium.  8 more gets me a large...with toppings (maybe I'll spring for a concrete).

Let's do this.

I don't think anyone is well and truly satisfied. The last game this Cubs team plays will be a bummer even if they win because I will miss them, but it will especially be a bummer if they don't win the last game of the year. But I think mostly it's okay to take some time and appreciate this team, this moment, and simply being on this stage.

2008 was such a bitter disappointment, but if I'd have known what 2009-2013 were going to bring I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. If you only focus on championships it's really hard to enjoy sports, and you're supposed to enjoy them. I will let nothing keep me from enjoying this team right now, and even if (God forbid) they collapse like 2003 I'm going to promise myself that I will remember this season with something other than a nauseous feeling. It's been fun. Unbelievably fun. I won't let anything take away from that.

Of course there's still a whole lot more fun left on the table.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »

The Cubs have already let the Central Division know there's a new sheriff in town.

If they want to let the entire National League know, I'm cool with that too.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 12:30:44 PM »

Win this fucking thing.

Let's do this.

I'm halfway. I want the title, obviously. We all do.

But they have to make it to the World Series. They just have to. They're better than the Dodgers and Mets. There are still so many demons left to slay.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 14, 2015, 12:30:44 PM

Win this fucking thing.

Let's do this.

But they have to make it to the World Series. They just have to. They're better than the Dodgers and Mets. There are still so many demons left to slay.

Just getting to the Series will kill the stupid goat curse. That would almost be enough to satisfy me.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 14, 2015, 12:32:19 PM

Win this fucking thing.

Let's do this.

Just getting to the Series will kill the stupid goat curse. That would almost be enough to satisfy me.

I also tell myself this, but I'm almost certain it's not true.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 14, 2015, 12:36:06 PM

Win this fucking thing.

Let's do this.

For real, just win the whole fucking thing.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 14, 2015, 01:10:19 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 14, 2015, 12:36:06 PM

Win this fucking thing.

Let's do this.

For real, just win the whole fucking thing.

A pennant would bring the tears. A trophy... Dunno. Gotta check that the fire insurance policy is up to date.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 01:49:48 PM »

Yeah, they're playing with house money at this point. Last night was a night I wasn't sure I'd ever see and I thoroughly enjoyed it and will continue to regardless of what happens next.

That said, I'd love to see them shove it up the Mets' ass.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 14, 2015, 10:59:07 AM

You're not alone pal. I had actual tears in my eyes when they got that last out and I told myself to savor it all night long, because the last time they won a division series I was too young and dumb to realize just how fucking hard it is, and I never dreamed it'd be 12 years before I watched them do it again. So I got super damn emotional, and I held my infant son aloft like he was fucking Simba and we had ourselves a nice time going nuts. What a ride.

You kids nowadays.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 14, 2015, 12:39:09 AM
NLCS
Saturday (10-17): Arrieta (four days rest)
Sunday (10-18): Lester (8 days rest)
Tuesday (10-20): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Wednesday (10-21): Arrieta (three days rest)
Thursday (10-22): Lester (three days rest)
Saturday (10-24): Hendricks Hammel/Haren
Sunday (10-25): Arrieta (three days rest)
Arrieta 3 starts, Lester 2, Hammel/Hendricks/Haren 2

World Series
Tuesday (10-27): Lester (four days rest)
Wednesday (10-28): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Friday (10-30): Arrieta (four days rest)
Saturday (10-31): Lester (three days rest)
Sunday (11-1): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Tuesday (11-3): Arrieta (three days rest)
Wednesday (11-4): Lester (three days rest)
Arrieta 2 starts, Lester 3, Hendricks/Hammel/Haren 2

That's 6 starts for Jake, 6 for Lester, and 7 for the H-gang.

Isn't Saturday three days' rest for Arrieta?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on October 14, 2015, 06:59:40 PM
Quote from: Brownie on October 14, 2015, 12:39:09 AM
NLCS
Saturday (10-17): Arrieta (four days rest)
Sunday (10-18): Lester (8 days rest)
Tuesday (10-20): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Wednesday (10-21): Arrieta (three days rest)
Thursday (10-22): Lester (three days rest)
Saturday (10-24): Hendricks Hammel/Haren
Sunday (10-25): Arrieta (three days rest)
Arrieta 3 starts, Lester 2, Hammel/Hendricks/Haren 2

World Series
Tuesday (10-27): Lester (four days rest)
Wednesday (10-28): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Friday (10-30): Arrieta (four days rest)
Saturday (10-31): Lester (three days rest)
Sunday (11-1): Hendricks/Hammel/Haren
Tuesday (11-3): Arrieta (three days rest)
Wednesday (11-4): Lester (three days rest)
Arrieta 2 starts, Lester 3, Hendricks/Hammel/Haren 2

That's 6 starts for Jake, 6 for Lester, and 7 for the H-gang.

Isn't Saturday three days' rest for Arrieta?

DPD. No, it's four day, shithead.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:40 AM »
I was at a wedding the night of Game 4 in 2003.  The groom--who was actually a closer friend of my brother than me (but with whom I played softball and drank much beer)-was a true, dyed-in-wool White Sox fan, as was his whole family.  His wife, conversely, was a Cubs fan, and members of her family--particularly her mom, I remember--were pretty hardcore. During the drinks portion of the evening, when the game was getting underway, one member of our group had the game on a transistor with an ear bud in and informed us of Ramirez' grand slam. High 5's all around.  During dinner, updates continued to be provided by the DJ ("AT THE END OF THE SEVENTH INNING, THE CUBS ARE WINNING *EIGHT* TO TWO!" and half the room erupts).   Finally, after the final out was recorded, the DJ not only got on the mic to announce the final score, but then played "Go Cubs Go", to which decidedly one-half of the room sang along.  What a party.

That was the peak, for me--the lasting image of the good times for all of that.  All of us at the table who knew the groom were just laughing our asses off that this Cub-hating Sox fan would have to hear that fucking song at his wedding.  His whole family's probably pissed at him.  Fucking awesome.

But even at that point, my brother and I reminded each other that as good as we fault it wasn't over.  They got to the just-win-once-in-3-potential-tries point vs. San Diego.

Later in the evening, when everyone was good and drunk, we approached the groom's father.  We weren't gloating or anything but he would've pre-emptively stopped us anyway because before either of us could say anything he resignedly stuck out his hand and sighed "congratulations".  But neither of us would accept, and offered up that nothing was won, that it only took 19 years to get to where we had been versus San Diego that we wouldn't let him trick us into a jinx yadda yadda yadda.  He wasn't buying it and frankly, deep down, neither were we.  We just weren't going to accept congratulations since of course nothing had been won.

Technically, the '03 Cubs went further than the '84 Cubs.  By not relinquishing the lead in their elimination game until there was 1 out in the 8th inning, as opposed to 1 out in the 7th like in '84, the 2003 Cubs crept a tiny bit closer than where they were in '84.  But none of the matters of course.  The situations were otherwise eerily similar and I really would hate to re-live any of it.

I don't know where any of this is going or what the point is.  I guess this is just my way of saying that I would really like a sweep or the Cubs in 5. Get over this fucking hump so I can breathe again.  Thanks.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs