News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 NLCS Thread: Chicago Cubs vs. New York Mets  ( 34,720 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 NLCS Thread: Chicago Cubs vs. New York Mets
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 16, 2015, 01:05:14 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 16, 2015, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 16, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/nyregion/ron-darling-finds-the-calm-before-the-game.html

QuoteCROSSWORD AS CAKE Dessert for me is the New York Times crossword puzzle. I usually do it around 7 or 7:30. There's still nobody up, so it's a good time to concentrate. I'm probably an hour or half-hour guy with the puzzle — not in Bill Clinton's elite category, but not too bad.

Ha!

My savant-like recall of specific Reagan-era factoids is validated!

Speaking of idiot-savants, how the fuck can Ron Darling do that crossword, and be such an absolute dipshit every time I hear him open his wordhole?

Intrepid Reader-- Dan Bernstein

Hi.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 16, 2015, 09:33:03 AM
Quote from: Oleg on October 16, 2015, 09:30:27 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2015, 09:29:00 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 16, 2015, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: Oleg on October 16, 2015, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 16, 2015, 08:58:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 15, 2015, 10:28:34 PM
Mets broadcast is already talking about 1969, claiming "they still haven't gotten over it on the North Side, so all the pressure will be on Chicago."  I feel pretty comfortable guaranteeing that not one individual in that Cubs clubhouse gives one green shit about 1969.

Not inside the Cubs clubhouse, but it does seem like there are plenty of old-man fans who apparently aren't over it.

As long as none of those old-man fans needs to play SS, we're good.

Cubs fans in general just aren't over most of their history and we all know we won't be until they actually pull this thing off. Those kids don't give a shit, though.

I get that, but why aren't there any fans that wanted to "exorcise the demons" that came from the Dodgers sweep in '08?

Huey does.  By killing DeRosa and Dempster.  Literally.

If I could use some ShoutBox lexicon (moment of silence), I believe I've sorta done been FACED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-IaFKsIw4
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Fuck the Mets and Mets fans so hard. How can you even explain Mets fans? They shouldn't exist.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 16, 2015, 01:25:26 PM
Fuck the Mets and Mets fans so hard. How can you even explain Mets fans? They shouldn't exist.

I would also like to say fuck Mets fans and their constant attempt to be like "BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR SADNESS?" Hearing this referred to as a series between two historically downtrodden franchises grinds my gears.

Fuck that. In their existence they've played in 4 world series and won 2, and they've been in 6 league championship series. Sure, they get overshadowed by the fucking Yankees in their hometown but on the "historically downtrodden" meter they can't even touch the Cubs or Indians or Brewers or Mariners or any number of goddamn teams that don't have four pennants and two world championships. How dare they try to complain things suck worse for them just because more people watch their fuckups.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »

They can't afford Yankee tickets.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/nyregion/ron-darling-finds-the-calm-before-the-game.html

QuoteCROSSWORD AS CAKE Dessert for me is the New York Times crossword puzzle. I usually do it around 7 or 7:30. There's still nobody up, so it's a good time to concentrate. I'm probably an hour or half-hour guy with the puzzle — not in Bill Clinton's elite category, but not too bad.

Ha!

Speaking of idiot-savants, how the fuck can Ron Darling do that crossword, and be such an absolute dipshit every time I hear him open his wordhole?

I have no idea why this ever happened, but Ron Darling once came to our temple to meet all the kids and sign autographs when we were growing up.  Right in the '84-86 timeframe, if I had to guess. 

I'm not sure this is "I admit it" or a "Humblebrag" but I just felt like it deserved mentioning. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 16, 2015, 01:43:34 PM

I would also like to say fuck Mets fans and their constant attempt to be like "BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR SADNESS?" Hearing this referred to as a series between two historically downtrodden franchises grinds my gears.

Fuck that. In their existence they've played in 4 world series and won 2, and they've been in 6 league championship series. Sure, they get overshadowed by the fucking Yankees in their hometown but on the "historically downtrodden" meter they can't even touch the Cubs or Indians or Brewers or Mariners or any number of goddamn teams that don't have four pennants and two world championships. How dare they try to complain things suck worse for them just because more people watch their fuckups.

I think that's a huge part of it for me. I hate that it's come to "we're sadder than you are" but jesus christ any Mets fan that's my age has seen his/her team play in a World Series a been alive for a championship.

You can't even say they were run worse than the Cubs were. They have no ground to stand on vs. the Cubs. Maybe that's why they hate us so much. And believe me, they hate us.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 16, 2015, 02:15:43 PM

I think that's a huge part of it for me. I hate that it's come to "we're sadder than you are" but jesus christ any Mets fan that's my age has seen his/her team play in a World Series a been alive for a championship.

You can't even say they were run worse than the Cubs were. They have no ground to stand on vs. the Cubs. Maybe that's why they hate us so much. And believe me, they hate us.

They are a run of the mill second tier franchise but they're in New York so they have to act like their suffering is fucking biblical. I'm willing to bet a 50 year old Mariners fan would trade places with a Mets fan of the same age in a fucking heartbeat but no one gives a shit because they're the Mariners.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »

Bernie Madoff might disagree with this part.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2015, 02:38:35 PM

His era is a microsecond on the Cubs' timeline of suck.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »
I'm sure tactical genius Matthew Trueblood would have shepherded his bullpen and optimized his lineup throughout that series just as well -- nay, better -- than dumb-ol' Maddon did. But that's why the Cubs are headed home and the Cardinals are flying to New York.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2015, 02:08:21 PM

Ha!

I have no idea why this ever happened, but Ron Darling once came to our temple to meet all the kids and sign autographs when we were growing up.  Right in the '84-86 timeframe, if I had to guess. 

I'm not sure this is "I admit it" or a "Humblebrag" but I just felt like it deserved mentioning. 
Did you at least maybe give him an Aliyah?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 16, 2015, 07:54:34 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2015, 02:08:21 PM

Ha!

Did you at least maybe give him an Aliyah?
For the benefit of the uncircumcised, that is an honorific prayer said before the reading of a portion of the Torah.  (Fork already knew that.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2015, 01:40:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 16, 2015, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2015, 02:38:35 PM

His era is a microsecond on the Cubs' timeline of suck.

Nonetheless, it's a hilarious microsecond that never fails to amuse the ever-loving piss out of me.  Bobby Bo is a personal hero of mine.  I'm not kidding.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
Cubs win first 2 games, lose Game three in extra innings, then win Games 4 and 5.

Left-to-right, motherogdens
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs