News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 NLCS Thread: Chicago Cubs vs. New York Mets  ( 34,693 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 NLCS Thread: Chicago Cubs vs. New York Mets
« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 21, 2015, 08:55:23 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2015, 08:54:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2015, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2015, 08:43:06 AM
I guess you could say that I'm grateful that I can still watch a Cubs game.

When the Hawks were in 2011 down 3-0 to Vancouver my brother askede if I wanted to go to Game 4.  I said, "Yeah, man. Let's go watch a hockey game". And sure enough the Hawks put forth a good effort and took a game.  Most of us know what happened next, and while PenFoe hates the cross-sports parallels, looked at from a team sports competitive perspective (and using the same elimination format) it can be all we have to hang our cat on as helpless fans to cope--particularly since this franchise itself has afforded us so few precedents themselves.

But yeah, there's a ballgame tonight and I'm looking forward to it.  I'd hate to see the Cubs get swept but even if they did, they have completely rinsed my mouth of the lingering bitter taste that was the result of the infuriating 2008 team which very nearly broke me.  This team has restored me.

It's supposed to rain all night. Hope it does.

Pray for rain and then Lester can start.  Still can't avoid the Hammel start though, unless it rains ALOT.

Cool, maybe he can give up four runs again.

You honestly think Hammel is a better option?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2015, 08:47:48 AM

When the Hawks were in 2011 down 3-0 to Vancouver my brother askede if I wanted to go to Game 4.  I said, "Yeah, man. Let's go watch a hockey game". And sure enough the Hawks put forth a good effort and took a game.  Most of us know what happened next, and while PenFoe hates the cross-sports parallels, looked at from a team sports competitive perspective (and using the same elimination format) it can be all we have to hang our cat on as helpless fans to cope--particularly since this franchise itself has afforded us so few precedents themselves.

But yeah, there's a ballgame tonight and I'm looking forward to it.  I'd hate to see the Cubs get swept but even if they did, they have completely rinsed my mouth of the lingering bitter taste that was the result of the infuriating 2008 team which very nearly broke me.  This team has restored me.

I want to agree with you and would like to enjoy one more baseball game, but if I have to see 3 hours of shots of sad fans in the stands, and then cutaways to happy fans in some shitty Manhattan bar, I'm going to smash my TV.

Same here. Logically I understand variance and small sample size and all that fun stuff, but it is just fucking infuriating to watch a not-that-good team like the Mets basically do no wrong while the Cubs shit the bed. They haven't had the lead. ONCE. In the series. It sucks. I'm (BH/Slezak alert) going to be on a rooftop tonight through work and as much as I *want* to feel the way Huey does, I am kind of dreading what the atmosphere will be like if dickbeard and the shit-guzzling Mets get another goddamn early lead.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: October 21, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 21, 2015, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 21, 2015, 08:55:23 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2015, 08:54:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2015, 08:47:57 AM

It's supposed to rain all night. Hope it does.

Pray for rain and then Lester can start.  Still can't avoid the Hammel start though, unless it rains ALOT.

Cool, maybe he can give up four runs again.

You honestly think Hammel is a better option?

No, just pointing out Lester sucked anyway.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2015, 08:57:57 AM

I want to agree with you and would like to enjoy one more baseball game, but if I have to see 3 hours of shots of sad fans in the stands, and then cutaways to happy fans in some shitty Manhattan bar, I'm going to smash my TV.

Same here. Logically I understand variance and small sample size and all that fun stuff, but it is just fucking infuriating to watch a not-that-good team like the Mets basically do no wrong while the Cubs shit the bed. They haven't had the lead. ONCE. In the series. It sucks. I'm (BH/Slezak alert) going to be on a rooftop tonight through work and as much as I *want* to feel the way Huey does, I am kind of dreading what the atmosphere will be like if dickbeard and the shit-guzzling Mets get another goddamn early lead.

I'm in this group, whatever you want to call it. Too sad/angry to have any semblance of rational thought.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
So, I know Lester was meh the other day, but why not Lester, Arrieta, HotGarbage, Lester the last 4 games (provided it goes there) as opposed to Hammell, Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks? I realize that's 2 times of 3 days rest, but wouldn't you prefer 3 games of your 1/2 than 2 games of your 1/2. Or they just lose tonight and then we can pine for the 3rd starter for a month

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 21, 2015, 09:11:53 AM
So, I know Lester was meh the other day, but why not Lester, Arrieta, HotGarbage, Lester the last 4 games (provided it goes there) as opposed to Hammell, Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks? I realize that's 2 times of 3 days rest, but wouldn't you prefer 3 games of your 1/2 than 2 games of your 1/2. Or they just lose tonight and then we can pine for the 3rd starter for a month

The way this series has gone if Jake pitches on three days rest he'll tear his everything. Just let Hammel do his work and end our misery.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: October 21, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 21, 2015, 09:15:22 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 21, 2015, 09:11:53 AM

The way this series has gone if Jake pitches on three days rest he'll tear his everything. Just let Hammel do his work and end our misery.

Would it be bad to kind of hope they lose tonight so I don't have to deal with this bullshit another day? I'm not saying I'm there, but a part of me might just want the inevitable to happen as soon as possible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2015, 09:18:57 AM
Would it be bad to kind of hope they lose tonight so I don't have to deal with this bullshit another day?

Yeah, kinda.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2015, 09:19:51 AM
Would it be bad to kind of hope they lose tonight so I don't have to deal with this bullshit another day?

Yeah, kinda.

Then I won't do that.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »

Yeah, kinda.

Yes. I want them to win badly. I need to experience another win.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 21, 2015, 09:38:09 AM

Yeah, kinda.

All day yesterday I was going on and on about wanting them to battle and not go out like a chump. Of course I want them to win.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2015, 09:46:00 AM

Yeah, kinda.

All day yesterday I was going on and on about wanting them to battle and not go out like a chump. Of course I want them to win.

There is the concern that they'll win, then win again, and again, and then lose Game 7 and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.  On the one hand, such a charge will endear this group to us more while treating us to MOAR BASEBALL, but I wonder if I would still prefer getting swept now rather than some sort of haunting nut-punch in Game 7.

My only hope is to at least find out.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2015, 09:50:54 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2015, 09:46:00 AM

Yeah, kinda.

There is the concern that they'll win, then win again, and again, and then lose Game 7 and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.  On the one hand, such a charge will endear this group to us more while treating us to MOAR BASEBALL, but I wonder if I would still prefer getting swept now rather than some sort of haunting nut-punch in Game 7.

My only hope is to at least find out.

Losing a game 7 would be awful, but it would also mean they didn't play awful for an entire series. Baby steps I guess.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
Fun Fact: The last time the Cubs lost 3 in a row, they followed it up with a nine-game winning streak (the first two at home vs. Playoff teams), followed by three more in a row after the streak snapped.

So, a 4-1 start to next season as defending champs?

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »

I'm going to watch until Hammel gives up the lead. Figure that gets me through at least 2/3 of an inning then I can go outside and look for puppies to kick.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."