News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2013 Bears: Emstink and Trestink's World Premiere  ( 15,232 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2013 Bears: Emstink and Trestink's World Premiere
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 08, 2013, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 09:07:11 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 08, 2013, 08:07:02 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 08, 2013, 05:58:13 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on August 08, 2013, 01:18:00 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 29, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 29, 2013, 02:04:04 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 29, 2013, 01:40:20 PM
I feel like I'm betraying SKO here because we usually see eye to eye on things.

Anyone else getting a train wreck vibe from this team?

I'm getting a "this team is going to put a fuckload of points on the board" vibe.

The schedule is extremely rough-looking on paper. The perception of it will change dramatically between now and October, but that's one cause for concern.

If it is a trainwreck and everybody is in the last year of their deals, I don't think that's a terrible thing really. It would be far worse if they finish with 6-9 wins. If they don't make the playoffs, sign me up for trainwreck/rebuild. No need to firebarn either. Most of these guys served the team admirably and will be remembered somewhat fondly as they decline rapidly in mental and physical health before dying young.

Hydestink is terrible.

You're planning on doing a lot of travelling this year.

I just don't sweat balls about schedules, period, because in the NFL half of the playoff teams are new each year and it's impossible to figure out exactly which of those teams will still be threatening when that game actually comes around. Just going off last year's schedule, though, I find it amusing that our natural inferiority complex has Bears fans rating a 10-6 team with the #3 defense in the NFL below teams like the Steelers and the Giants and the Saints, all of whom were worse than that.

This team could go belly up, stranger things have happened. I just can't understand people who are so willing to write off the season already based on no logical premise. There's not a single part of the roster that isn't, on paper, upgraded this year. We should at least wait and let them earn our disappointment.

I'm asking because I really don't know. How are the secondary and defensive lines upgraded this year? No matter who they added, the lynchpins of both groups (Peppers and Tillman) are a year older. They lost the defensive coaches who helped make them the top 3 defense they were. I don't understand how people can discount that factor in evaluating that defense's chances of being competent. Again, I know jack shit about all of this, as I've proven time and again. So I'm asking. How?

I also don't see how they're better on defense. Worse? Not necessarily. But I don't see upgrades.

Is Jon Bostic an upgrade to Urlacher/Roach in his rookie season? That would be tits. The new guy from Carolina might be an upgrade to Roach/McGillicuddy on the strong side for what that's worth in this defense, which we're told is about the same as the last one. Does more Wooton/McLellan opposite Peppers equal an upgrade to Idonije and less of those other two guys?

WHERE'S MY UPGRADE DAMMIT!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 12:02:54 PM

I'm getting a "this team is going to put a fuckload of points on the board" vibe.

The schedule is extremely rough-looking on paper. The perception of it will change dramatically between now and October, but that's one cause for concern.

If it is a trainwreck and everybody is in the last year of their deals, I don't think that's a terrible thing really. It would be far worse if they finish with 6-9 wins. If they don't make the playoffs, sign me up for trainwreck/rebuild. No need to firebarn either. Most of these guys served the team admirably and will be remembered somewhat fondly as they decline rapidly in mental and physical health before dying young.

Hydestink is terrible.

I just don't sweat balls about schedules, period, because in the NFL half of the playoff teams are new each year and it's impossible to figure out exactly which of those teams will still be threatening when that game actually comes around. Just going off last year's schedule, though, I find it amusing that our natural inferiority complex has Bears fans rating a 10-6 team with the #3 defense in the NFL below teams like the Steelers and the Giants and the Saints, all of whom were worse than that.

This team could go belly up, stranger things have happened. I just can't understand people who are so willing to write off the season already based on no logical premise. There's not a single part of the roster that isn't, on paper, upgraded this year. We should at least wait and let them earn our disappointment.

I'm asking because I really don't know. How are the secondary and defensive lines upgraded this year? No matter who they added, the lynchpins of both groups (Peppers and Tillman) are a year older. They lost the defensive coaches who helped make them the top 3 defense they were. I don't understand how people can discount that factor in evaluating that defense's chances of being competent. Again, I know jack shit about all of this, as I've proven time and again. So I'm asking. How?

I also don't see how they're better on defense. Worse? Not necessarily. But I don't see upgrades.

Is Jon Bostic an upgrade to Urlacher/Roach in his rookie season? That would be tits. The new guy from Carolina might be an upgrade to Roach/McGillicuddy on the strong side for what that's worth in this defense, which we're told is about the same as the last one. Does more Wooton/McLellan opposite Peppers equal an upgrade to Idonije and less of those other two guys?

You paid for Coach.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 08, 2013, 12:31:59 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 12:02:54 PM

Hydestink is terrible.

You paid for Coach.

I used up all my points.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »

That's fair. I guess I meant, "the deficiencies from last year (OL, MLB, TE) have been upgraded, on paper" and they have had no major losses elsewhere. Izzy is a loss for the DL, but that was the deepest unit on the team. As far as the coaching staff...I'm not That concerned. Those guys had nine years of Lovie's coaching, Tucker is a competent DC who crafted a top ten defense in Jacksonville in 2011, and they're not changing schemes, and they already run one of the least complicated defenses in football...I think the coaching loss is overstated. Not to dismiss Lovie's accomplishments, but I think he's coached them well enough that they can take it from here. Also, Hoke stayed, and was even considered for the DC job, and that's good continuity for the secondary.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 08, 2013, 12:43:59 PM

That's fair. I guess I meant, "the deficiencies from last year (OL, MLB, TE) have been upgraded, on paper" and they have had no major losses elsewhere. Izzy is a loss for the DL, but that was the deepest unit on the team. As far as the coaching staff...I'm not That concerned. Those guys had nine years of Lovie's coaching, Tucker is a competent DC who crafted a top ten defense in Jacksonville in 2011, and they're not changing schemes, and they already run one of the least complicated defenses in football...I think the coaching loss is overstated. Not to dismiss Lovie's accomplishments, but I think he's coached them well enough that they can take it from here. Also, Hoke stayed, and was even considered for the DC job, and that's good continuity for the secondary.

Why do you think Bostic is an upgrade on paper to Urlacher/Roach? That would be really cool if a second-round pick had that kind of impact right away. Like Jeffery last year. I could get used to that.

EDIT: This article says D.J. Williams' calf injury is not serious and he could be ready to go opening day.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/d-j-williams-to-get-first-opportunity-to-replace-brian-urlacher-for-the-chicago-bears/

It also says this, which I find absolutely fucking hysterical.

QuoteHe missed nine games due to two suspensions. The first was a six-game ban for violating the league's banned-substances policy after the NFL said he provided a "non-human" urine sample during a drug test.

"I have never failed a test of any kind – for steroids or illegal substances – during my eight-year pro career. I am proud of my record and proud of the way in which I conduct myself as a professional athlete and citizen," William said in a statement following the suspension.

I deleted the part about him getting three games for two drunk-driving arrests. He remains proud of his record, I'm sure. I want to like this guy, I guess. I want a Bostic-boner even more.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 12:56:14 PM

Why do you think Bostic is an upgrade on paper to Urlacher/Roach? That would be really cool if a second-round pick had that kind of impact right away. Like Jeffery last year. I could get used to that.

EDIT: This article says D.J. Williams' calf injury is not serious and he could be ready to go opening day.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/d-j-williams-to-get-first-opportunity-to-replace-brian-urlacher-for-the-chicago-bears/

QuoteHe missed nine games due to two suspensions. The first was a six-game ban for violating the league's banned-substances policy after the NFL said he provided a "non-human" urine sample during a drug test.

"I have never failed a test of any kind – for steroids or illegal substances – during my eight-year pro career. I am proud of my record and proud of the way in which I conduct myself as a professional athlete and citizen," William said in a statement following the suspension.

I deleted the part about him getting three games for two drunk-driving arrests. He remains proud of his record, I'm sure. I want to like this guy, I guess. I want a Bostic-boner even more.

Werewolf's piss?  
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 01:50:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 08, 2013, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 12:56:14 PM

Werewolf's piss?  

He's a fucking cyborg. And he likes the sauce. Bear down.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
I'd take Bostic and Williams over what Urlacher gave us in 2012. He was a -11.2 according to Pro Football Focus, and graded out as the 44th "best" inside linebacker in the NFL last year. I don't think I have to smoke a ton of peyote to think Jon Bostic, the most athletic inside linebacker in the entire draft, could be somewhat slightly better than the 44th best ILB in the NFL as a rookie, or Williams if he's the guy. Will either them sniff the area code of pre-2012 Brian Urlacher's production? Fuck no, but they didn't even need close to that last year to be the best defense they've fielded in six years. James Anderson is probably a wash with Roach at SLB in this point in his career, but the SLB in the Cover 2 isn't exactly a demanding position. Hunter Hillenmeyer played that position for God's sake.

If people want to freak out about Peppers, Tillman, Briggs, and Jennings being a year older, fine. That's all well and good, but Peppers played fewer snaps last year than he ever had in Chicago because Wootton had a breakout year, Melton developed into the 2nd best pass-rushing 3 technique in all of football, and Shea, in his limited playing time, actually was tied for the lead among all rookies in the NFL in hurries and pressures, even if his sack total was less than fantastic. There's depth there, and I will miss Izzy like no other, but I doubt that's a crippling loss, especially since they picked up Kyle Moore who was extremely effective as a role player for Buffalo last year in pass-rushing situations.

Basically, the defense was 3rd in points allowed, 5th in yardage, and 1st in takeaways. There's a long way for them to fall before they become a liability, and the offense has made upgrades on the offensive line, added the top TE by far on the market (also one that's graded out as a top five blocking TE every year he's been in the league), and you presume a guy like Alshon Jeffery, with better health and another year of experience, will be add another dimension to the passing game, one that's now being run by a guy who has actually had success coaching offense before. So, I take the presumed improvement on offense, with anything shy of a major fucking regression on defense that has no plausible explanation other than four veterans going from Pro Bowlers to absolute shit (and stranger things have happened, I know), and assume this team will probably be capable of 10-11 wins once again, which, usually, is good for the playoffs.

I'm also, once again, not terribly concerned about a bunch of defensive veterans having to play without Lovie and Rod for one year in a defense that is notoriously simple in scheme and relies solely on talent and fundamentals. The real-life Bears defense probably has fewer playcalls than they do in Madden. They run some version of the Cover 2, the Cover 3, or the Cover 1 Robber practically 2/3rds of the time, and the few pressures they have are a handful of zone blitzes and nothing that a high school team doesn't run.

I feel like the late season "collapse" against seven consecutive playoff teams (only one of which they lost by more than one score) has somehow convinced everyone that the team that went 7-1 was a charade and the team that finished 3-5 was the "true" Bears, when really they're probably somewhere in between. But hey, Marc Trestman is weird and shit so what do I know?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 08, 2013, 04:05:59 PM
I'd take Bostic and Williams over what Urlacher gave us in 2012. He was a -11.2 according to Pro Football Focus, and graded out as the 44th "best" inside linebacker in the NFL last year. I don't think I have to smoke a ton of peyote to think Jon Bostic, the most athletic inside linebacker in the entire draft, could be somewhat slightly better than the 44th best ILB in the NFL as a rookie, or Williams if he's the guy. Will either them sniff the area code of pre-2012 Brian Urlacher's production? Fuck no, but they didn't even need close to that last year to be the best defense they've fielded in six years. James Anderson is probably a wash with Roach at SLB in this point in his career, but the SLB in the Cover 2 isn't exactly a demanding position. Hunter Hillenmeyer played that position for God's sake.

If people want to freak out about Peppers, Tillman, Briggs, and Jennings being a year older, fine. That's all well and good, but Peppers played fewer snaps last year than he ever had in Chicago because Wootton had a breakout year, Melton developed into the 2nd best pass-rushing 3 technique in all of football, and Shea, in his limited playing time, actually was tied for the lead among all rookies in the NFL in hurries and pressures, even if his sack total was less than fantastic. There's depth there, and I will miss Izzy like no other, but I doubt that's a crippling loss, especially since they picked up Kyle Moore who was extremely effective as a role player for Buffalo last year in pass-rushing situations.

Basically, the defense was 3rd in points allowed, 5th in yardage, and 1st in takeaways. There's a long way for them to fall before they become a liability, and the offense has made upgrades on the offensive line, added the top TE by far on the market (also one that's graded out as a top five blocking TE every year he's been in the league), and you presume a guy like Alshon Jeffery, with better health and another year of experience, will be add another dimension to the passing game, one that's now being run by a guy who has actually had success coaching offense before. So, I take the presumed improvement on offense, with anything shy of a major fucking regression on defense that has no plausible explanation other than four veterans going from Pro Bowlers to absolute shit (and stranger things have happened, I know), and assume this team will probably be capable of 10-11 wins once again, which, usually, is good for the playoffs.

I'm also, once again, not terribly concerned about a bunch of defensive veterans having to play without Lovie and Rod for one year in a defense that is notoriously simple in scheme and relies solely on talent and fundamentals. The real-life Bears defense probably has fewer playcalls than they do in Madden. They run some version of the Cover 2, the Cover 3, or the Cover 1 Robber practically 2/3rds of the time, and the few pressures they have are a handful of zone blitzes and nothing that a high school team doesn't run.

I feel like the late season "collapse" against seven consecutive playoff teams (only one of which they lost by more than one score) has somehow convinced everyone that the team that went 7-1 was a charade and the team that finished 3-5 was the "true" Bears, when really they're probably somewhere in between. But hey, Marc Trestman is weird and shit so what do I know?

K.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 08, 2013, 04:12:44 PM

K.

I mean, if you want an anecdotal reason to feel better, Marc Trestman's teams have in the NFL/College/CFL have always made the playoffs/bowl game in his first year as OC/Coach.

That's utterly meaningless, but feel heartened anyway.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »

Good grief, just get a blog already.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 08, 2013, 05:46:15 PM

Good grief, just get a blog life already.

For fucks sake'd
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2013-chicago-bears-1121358012

Some good Cutler-rage in the "Emails from Bears Fans" section:

Quote... [F]or the first time we deigned to roll the dice on an offensive minded coach and bet everything on Jay Cutler and the passing game. And when it fails (and it will), our fan base will once again demonstrate our complete lack of awareness of trends and changes going on out elsewhere in the world outside the midwest. We'll piss and moan that we didn't build around the run for January. Or we just didn't play traditional, "smashmouth" football like Halas/Ditka/God intended.

We'll limp into the playoffs, get housed by some team with a mobile quarterback and a modern system, let Trestman hang around for a year or two, then go right back to a retread defensive coordinator who promises to go back to classic "Bears football" in order to "beat the Packers" and please our myopic half-manatee fans.

QuoteHere's life as Jay Cutler explained in terms of Illinois's finest 24-hour burger joints:

SINGLE SHITBURGER: The Bears traded away Greg Olson - their only successful first-round pick since their trip to the Super Bowl - because the voices in Mike Martz's head told him that every time a tight end catches a pass, an angel loses its wings.

DOUBLE SHITBURGER: Before Brandon Marshall's arrival last year, the Bears' receiving corps was headlined by Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox and Devin "HEY GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT CATCHING A PASS AND FIELDING A KICK ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS" Hester. Cutler somehow managed to make Bennett and Knox look like NFL-grade receivers despite the fact that they would have been #5 options on real offenses.

TRIPLE SHITBURGER WITH FRIES - Cutler consistently leads the league in sacks taken, thanks to an O-line anchored by J'Marcus Webb, scouts and coaches that turned two first-round tackles into diddley and squat, and a rotating cast of turnstiles at guard. The two best O-linemen during Cutler's tenure in Chicago have been the carcass of Orlando Pace and the geriatric Roberto Garza, both of whom were drafted before the NSA acquired the right and the capability to read this email, and whose Pro Bowl years were well behind them.

And I haven't even mentioned the coaching! Starting with Lovie Smith, who's about as interested in his offense's performance as Buddy Ryan was, continually vowing to "get off the bus running." His offensive co-ordinators were Mike Martz, who attempted to run the Greatest Show on Turf with none of the talent he had in St. Louis. The O-line couldn't protect Cutler long enough to finish his seven-step drops, which didn't stop Martz from calling them by the dozen. After Martz left, Mike Tice was promoted from offensive line coach to OC because why the hell not.

But if Cutler had shown CHICAGO TOUGHNESS and continued playing (poorly) on a shredded MCL, everything would be fine.

I'm not surprised that Cutler has taken to yelling at everyone else associated with this shitshow of an offense. I'm just surprised that he hasn't taken to drink, or attempted to axe-murder Chris Williams on the sidelines.

And apparently SKO's real name is "Tyler":

QuoteWe have one discernible pass play: Jay Cutler evading three defensive lineman, deftly stepping over his own fallen piece of shit guards, and then having to unleash a 100-mph bullet into a tight window to a quadruple-covered Brandon Marshall, all as he gets speared by two blitzing linebackers. He will go 15 of 26 for 210 yards doing this, and then all week I have to hear that he is an overrated pussy. Fuck you all.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
Jon "Bonertime" Bostic. (NSFW-Berman)

McLellin had a sack as well. Emstink is wonderful.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
I didn't see this mentioned in SKO's blog...

Cutler berating a ball boy? Come on people, this guy has to go!