News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Bears General Manager Sweepstakes  ( 22,902 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Bears General Manager Sweepstakes
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 04, 2012, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: PANK! on January 04, 2012, 11:05:49 AM
Quote from: BH on January 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 04, 2012, 10:08:30 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 03, 2012, 10:22:36 AM
I shouldn't bother getting my hopes up for hiring this guy, right?

Possibly.

Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie will reportedly interview for the Raiders GM job on Wednesday.
As Profootballtalk points out, ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf is leading the Raiders' search and "strongly advocating" for McKenzie -- who would likely bring along Wolf's son, Eliot, Green Bay's assistant director of player personnel. Coach Hue Jackson's personnel power would then be muted, which should be music to the ears of Raiders fans. McKenzie is also viewed as a front-runner for the Bears' job.

From Bananaworld.

So what happens when the new GM wants to draft a WR and Lovie wants to draft another crappy athletic defensive player, Ted Phillips gets the final say? After yesterday's press conference, the only thing I took out of it is that Ted Phillips is running the show. And that Lovie gets a say in a lot more things than he probably should. Which sucks.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I'm wondering why everyone thinks Lovie's so safe.  If he shits the tub next year, I would think the GM would then be free to make a move, no?  How much power does Lovie have if the Bears go 7-9 and now he's heading into his final year under a boss who didn't hire him?   Is it not possible that the idea is to force Lovie out, but in a way that they don't have to pay him?  Wouldn't a fresh 3 year deal to go back to Tampa be something that Lovie might have considered asking his agent about?  Or something the Bears wouldn't be terribly broken-hearted about were it to happen?

I have to guess this is Lovie's last chance. The McCaskey's don't want to pay both him and Angelo in addition to a new coach and GM, so he's got one more chance to win with his power clipped by a new GM.

Which is why, if he's smart, he angles to jump ship now, get a fresh start and a fresh new deal in Tampa, and everyone wins. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 04, 2012, 12:53:06 PM

Possibly.

Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie will reportedly interview for the Raiders GM job on Wednesday.
As Profootballtalk points out, ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf is leading the Raiders' search and "strongly advocating" for McKenzie -- who would likely bring along Wolf's son, Eliot, Green Bay's assistant director of player personnel. Coach Hue Jackson's personnel power would then be muted, which should be music to the ears of Raiders fans. McKenzie is also viewed as a front-runner for the Bears' job.

From Bananaworld.

So what happens when the new GM wants to draft a WR and Lovie wants to draft another crappy athletic defensive player, Ted Phillips gets the final say? After yesterday's press conference, the only thing I took out of it is that Ted Phillips is running the show. And that Lovie gets a say in a lot more things than he probably should. Which sucks.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I'm wondering why everyone thinks Lovie's so safe.  If he shits the tub next year, I would think the GM would then be free to make a move, no?  How much power does Lovie have if the Bears go 7-9 and now he's heading into his final year under a boss who didn't hire him?   Is it not possible that the idea is to force Lovie out, but in a way that they don't have to pay him?  Wouldn't a fresh 3 year deal to go back to Tampa be something that Lovie might have considered asking his agent about?  Or something the Bears wouldn't be terribly broken-hearted about were it to happen?

I have to guess this is Lovie's last chance. The McCaskey's don't want to pay both him and Angelo in addition to a new coach and GM, so he's got one more chance to win with his power clipped by a new GM.

Which is why, if he's smart, he angles to jump ship now, get a fresh start and a fresh new deal in Tampa, and everyone wins. 

I wouldn't win. I like Lovie and I'm pretty sure the McCaskellipses are going to hire a bunch of douche cannons to set the franchise back to where it was before Lovie and Angelo came along and made it at least competitive every year. Bah.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 04, 2012, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 04, 2012, 12:53:06 PM

Possibly.

From Bananaworld.

I wouldn't win. I like Lovie and I'm pretty sure the McCaskellipses are going to hire a bunch of douche cannons to set the franchise back to where it was before Lovie and Angelo came along and made it at least competitive every year. Bah.

I hated having a competitive football team every year. Glad they're finally fixing that.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »
"I wouldn't win. I like Lovie and I'm pretty sure the McCaskellipses are going to hire a bunch of douche cannons to set the franchise back to where it was before Lovie and Angelo came along and made it at least competitive every year. Bah."

They were the least competitive team that I have seen in a long time.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 04, 2012, 03:12:44 PM
"I wouldn't win. I like Lovie and I'm pretty sure the McCaskellipses are going to hire a bunch of douche cannons to set the franchise back to where it was before Lovie and Angelo came along and made it at least competitive every year. Bah."

2003 wasn't that long ago.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 04, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 04, 2012, 03:12:44 PM

2003 wasn't that long ago.

During those five games I had no confidence whatsoever that any time the ball left Hanie's hands it would wind up in the hands of someone wearing a Bears' uniform.  A completed pass was like a victory all by itself.  A recovered fumble was a miracle. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
Why don't they just make the whole plane out of Cutler?

According to a league source, the Bears have expressed interest in former NFL executive Ted Sundquist, a finalist for the job when Angelo was hired in 2001. Sundquist spent 16 years in the Broncos organization, including 2002-07 as the team's general manager, and was the man in charge when Denver selected Jay Cutler in the 2006 NFL draft.

Link.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 04, 2012, 06:04:43 PM
Why don't they just make the whole plane out of Cutler?

According to a league source, the Bears have expressed interest in former NFL executive Ted Sundquist, a finalist for the job when Angelo was hired in 2001. Sundquist spent 16 years in the Broncos organization, including 2002-07 as the team's general manager, and was the man in charge when Denver selected Jay Cutler in the 2006 NFL draft.

Link.

Absolutely, let's replace Angelo with someone a search firm didn't think was as good as Angelo and hasn't been working in football for a while unless you count PFT which I don't.  Although he did trade up to get Cutler, so there's that.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 04, 2012, 09:07:08 PM
Absolutely, let's replace Angelo with someone a search firm didn't think was as good as Angelo and hasn't been working in football for a while unless you count PFT which I don't.  Although he did trade up to get Cutler, so there's that.

And wasn't Shanahan really the one in charge of the Broncos personnel at that point?

Anyway, I suggest Theo for GM. Might as well turn around two teams for the price of ten million dollars.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
Quote from: BC on January 04, 2012, 09:51:05 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 04, 2012, 09:07:08 PM

And wasn't Shanahan really the one in charge of the Broncos personnel at that point?

Anyway, I suggest Theo for GM. Might as well turn around two teams for the price of ten million dollars.

I also hate whoever it is the Bears haven't hired to be GM.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
DEY SHULD BRING BACK DA COACH TO BE GM AND OFFENSIVE CORDNATER AND SPESHUL TEAMS CORDNATER WHEN TOOB LEAVES AND IF LOVIES MESSES UP HEAD COACH TOO!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 03, 2012, 11:27:52 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 03, 2012, 10:29:32 AM
Whoever it is, he already has a coach.

Nothing like neutering the new guy before you even hire him.

Not really surprising since this is exactly what they did last time.

So, I assume they're going to want to hire a new offensive coordinator and then just give the job to Mike Tice since nobody in their right mind is going to want to pack up and take the job under these circumstances?

Yep.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/01/bears-promote-mike-tice-to-offensive-coordinator/1

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 06, 2012, 11:44:34 AM

So, I assume they're going to want to hire a new offensive coordinator and then just give the job to Mike Tice since nobody in their right mind is going to want to pack up and take the job under these circumstances?

Yep.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/01/bears-promote-mike-tice-to-offensive-coordinator/1

Ooh. They're going to do the "one guy in charge of running game with a passing game coordinator" approach. I have never, Ever, seen that one work. Joy. Somehow they're going to find a way to take even MORE time in getting playcalls down to Jay. F*&King F*&k
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2012, 12:04:37 PM

Yep.

Ooh. They're going to do the "one guy in charge of running game with a passing game coordinator" approach. I have never, Ever, seen that one work. Joy. Somehow they're going to find a way to take even MORE time in getting playcalls down to Jay. F*&King F*&k

This franchise is pure trash.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 06, 2012, 02:53:24 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2012, 12:04:37 PM

Yep.

This franchise is pure trash.

Wow. Lovie can't wait to get himself fired, can he?