News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 157,615 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #810 on: May 09, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 09, 2016, 08:20:47 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 28, 2016, 09:54:42 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on April 28, 2016, 09:44:46 AM
Please, just fuck these guys. They're already 4 behind in the loss column to the Cubs, and they are only going to fall further behind.

At this point they're going to have to duke it out for the Seligcard. They don't fucking matter.

No one thinks this is true.

You with me yet?

Remember last year the astounding amount of luck STL had?  Things we could quantify like the inordinate number of runners stranded etc., which was historic?  And that we were awaiting a regression to the norm?   A little bit of a regression occurred in the 2nd half of course but not enough to derail them for the division (though by the time they played the Cubs their luck was on empty).

It looks like the regression's simply coming back in full force this season.  I'll be surprised, not shocked, if they're still in contention for the SeligCard by Labor Day.  Amongst the Pirates, Nats/Mets and Dodgers/Giants, I don't see STL in that team photo.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #811 on: May 09, 2016, 09:36:50 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 09, 2016, 08:54:24 AM
Please, just fuck these guys. They're already 4 behind in the loss column to the Cubs, and they are only going to fall further behind.

At this point they're going to have to duke it out for the Seligcard. They don't fucking matter.

You with me yet?

Remember last year the astounding amount of luck STL had?  Things we could quantify like the inordinate number of runners stranded etc., which was historic?  And that we were awaiting a regression to the norm?   A little bit of a regression occurred in the 2nd half of course but not enough to derail them for the division (though by the time they played the Cubs their luck was on empty).

It looks like the regression's simply coming back in full force this season.  I'll be surprised, not shocked, if they're still in contention for the SeligCard by Labor Day.  Amongst the Pirates, Nats/Mets and Dodgers/Giants, I don't see STL in that team photo.

The Dodgers are horrible. They have some pieces to build around for sure but that pitching staff isn't going to work. I don't know if a trade or two could keep them in contention this season. It might. But they're in the Cardinals' category of "nope." I'll gladly throw the D-Backs into that same toilet. The Giants will win the West going away. The Mets will end up winning the East. The Selig Card is Pirates/Nats.

Catastrophic injury could change all of this.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #812 on: May 09, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 09, 2016, 09:36:50 AM

You with me yet?

The Dodgers are horrible. They have some pieces to build around for sure but that pitching staff isn't going to work. I don't know if a trade or two could keep them in contention this season. It might. But they're in the Cardinals' category of "nope." I'll gladly throw the D-Backs into that same toilet. The Giants will win the West going away. The Mets will end up winning the East. The Selig Card is Pirates/Nats.

Right now this prognostication seems legit. There's no way I'm writing off a Cardinals comeback at least as it pertains to the wild card.

Giants, Nats, Mets are the biggest challengers and the Pirates are certainly better than the rest of the unmentioned NL clubs. I found out I've got a ticket to one of the Cubs-Mets games in July and I am fired up about it. I want a postseason rematch with those fucks.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #813 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 09, 2016, 09:41:06 AM

You with me yet?

Right now this prognostication seems legit. There's no way I'm writing off a Cardinals comeback at least as it pertains to the wild card.

Giants, Nats, Mets are the biggest challengers and the Pirates are certainly better than the rest of the unmentioned NL clubs. I found out I've got a ticket to one of the Cubs-Mets games in July and I am fired up about it. I want a postseason rematch with those fucks.

This year will be fucking Lions/Christians. The Cubs are on the 1984 Tigers track.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #814 on: May 09, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 09, 2016, 09:47:22 AM

You with me yet?

This year will be fucking Lions/Christians. The Cubs are on the 1984 Tigers track.

Internet Braggadocio Fork remains one of the most amusing Desipio characters to me.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 09, 2016, 10:09:51 AM

You with me yet?

Internet Braggadocio Fork remains one of the most amusing Desipio characters to me.

As a wise man once said, it ain't bragging if you can back it up.

Or if 25 professional baseball players can back it up.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #816 on: May 09, 2016, 07:12:46 PM »

You with me yet?

To be fair to  Fork they actually  are on that 84 Tigers  track?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #817 on: May 10, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 09, 2016, 07:12:46 PM

You with me yet?

To be fair to  Fork they actually  are on that 84 Tigers  track?

Also, at the risk of putting too fine a point on it, this team is working as designed. We spent all winter being giddy at the juggernaut being built, and now the plan is coming to fruition.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #818 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:31 AM »

You with me yet?

I agree with most of this assessment of the NL except for "Giants will win the NL West going away". I agree the Dodgers are mediocre but I don't see how the Giants aren't equally mediocre. The Dodgers have a half decent offense, shitty bullpen, one mega elite pitcher, a promising #2, and a bunch of flotsam in the back of the rotation. The Giants have a pretty good offense, mediocre bullpen, three average looking starters (MadBum and Cueto both have lost velocity and look far more hittable than they used to, Snork is Snork), and two unplayable guys (Cain and Peavy).

Those two are gonna mud hump each other all season long in a slog to 85 wins and first place, I think.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #819 on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 07:25:31 AM

You with me yet?

I agree with most of this assessment of the NL except for "Giants will win the NL West going away". I agree the Dodgers are mediocre but I don't see how the Giants aren't equally mediocre. The Dodgers have a half decent offense, shitty bullpen, one mega elite pitcher, a promising #2, and a bunch of flotsam in the back of the rotation. The Giants have a pretty good offense, mediocre bullpen, three average looking starters (MadBum and Cueto both have lost velocity and look far more hittable than they used to, Snork is Snork), and two unplayable guys (Cain and Peavy).

Those two are gonna mud hump each other all season long in a slog to 85 wins and first place, I think.

I think Bruce Bochy is a 2-5 win manager (I know I can't prove shit) and Dave Roberts is a Dusty-level ingrate (small sample size). So there's seven-ish wins right there. If I'm right about this, I claim no credit for it because I am doing very little to back it up. I've just watched a handful of each team's games and I know the players fairly well from past years. Watching the Dodgers, I cringe all to often at the lack of good choices Roberts has to work with. That pitching staff could rank near the middle bottom in spite of Kershaw and Maeda. The Japanese newcomer has some good control and looks like a suitable #2 but I'm seeing some stamina issues in the latter innings that I don't think can get better as the season wears on and opponents get more film on him.

/my two cents!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 10, 2016, 07:51:25 AM

You with me yet?

I think Bruce Bochy is a 2-5 win manager (I know I can't prove shit) and Dave Roberts is a Dusty-level ingrate (small sample size). So there's seven-ish wins right there. If I'm right about this, I claim no credit for it because I am doing very little to back it up. I've just watched a handful of each team's games and I know the players fairly well from past years. Watching the Dodgers, I cringe all to often at the lack of good choices Roberts has to work with. That pitching staff could rank near the middle bottom in spite of Kershaw and Maeda. The Japanese newcomer has some good control and looks like a suitable #2 but I'm seeing some stamina issues in the latter innings that I don't think can get better as the season wears on and opponents get more film on him.

/my two cents!

Works for me. For now I'm sticking with "they both suck." The Dodgers also have a much better farm system and all of the money in the world to throw around come trade deadline, so they may be able to get more help than the Giants can.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #821 on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 07:52:55 AM

You with me yet?

/my two cents!

Works for me. For now I'm sticking with "they both suck." The Dodgers also have a much better farm system and all of the money in the world to throw around come trade deadline, so they may be able to get more help than the Giants can.

Wonder how long we're going to be talking about the Dodgers and their mighty farm system and genius front office before they actually are considered even favorites in their own division, let alone the National League.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 10, 2016, 08:04:38 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 07:52:55 AM

Wonder how long we're going to be talking about the Dodgers and their mighty farm system and genius front office before they actually are considered even favorites in their own division, let alone the National League.

I think their farm system is overrated but the Giants farm system is supposedly completely barren. I agree that I am also tired of hearing about how "obviously Friedman has a plan" when people question things like building a rotation of spare parts and discarded #3 starters and they end up being exactly as mediocre as people thought they would be.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #823 on: May 10, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »

You with me yet?

/my two cents!

An assessment based on your gut with no hard facts to back it up?

Is Apex the Dusty Baker of Desipio?

(pretty sure I'm the Ronnie Woo of Desipio)
M'lady.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #824 on: May 10, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on May 10, 2016, 09:21:51 AM

You with me yet?

/my two cents!

An assessment based on your gut with no hard facts to back it up?

Is Apex the Dusty Baker of Desipio?

(pretty sure I'm the Ronnie Woo of Desipio)

Yes.