News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: This. Fucking. Bullpen.  ( 48,426 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: This. Fucking. Bullpen.
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 08, 2018, 08:46:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2018, 01:41:54 PM
oh and before I get accused of chicken little bullshit over the Cardinals that's not my panicky notion, both fangraphs and baseball prospectus have the cardinals favored to win the division now. The cubs dicked away their cushion.

Just in case anyone is wondering, none of these things is true.

Ha did it change after last night? As of yesterday morning the Cardinals were favored on both.

Ah I guess it was just BP that was that down on them yesterday: http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/05/07/the-cubs-playoff-odds-after-an-ugly-series-sweep-have-turned-sour-as-in-not-the-clear-favorites/
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 09:18:13 AM
oh and before I get accused of chicken little bullshit over the Cardinals that's not my panicky notion, both fangraphs and baseball prospectus have the cardinals favored to win the division now. The cubs dicked away their cushion.

Ha did it change after last night? As of yesterday morning the Cardinals were favored on both.

Ah I guess it was just BP that was that down on them yesterday: http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/05/07/the-cubs-playoff-odds-after-an-ugly-series-sweep-have-turned-sour-as-in-not-the-clear-favorites/

So I guess there's no point in playing the remaining 130 games then.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 08, 2018, 09:37:23 AM

Never said there wasn't, just that the cubs should try playing well in those remaining 130 games, as opposed to puttering around .500 and assuming the division will come back to them like it did last year.  I don't think these Cardinals are a great team by any stretch, probably a 90 win team at best, but they have a higher floor than these Cubs because that organization's insistence on depth over talent at most spot means they're fairly consistent. The Cubs have a much, much higher ceiling but we've also been staring at their floor most of the year so far.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:03:24 AM

Never said there wasn't, just that the cubs should try playing well in those remaining 130 games, as opposed to puttering around .500 and assuming the division will come back to them like it did last year.  I don't think these Cardinals are a great team by any stretch, probably a 90 win team at best, but they have a higher floor than these Cubs because that organization's insistence on depth over talent at most spot means they're fairly consistent. The Cubs have a much, much higher ceiling but we've also been staring at their floor most of the year so far.

Good advice.  Why doesn't anybody else recognize that the Cubs aren't trying to play well?  Christ why won't somebody listen to this blithering genius savant voice from the cornfields?  All along, conventional wisdom has suggested teams are better off "puttering around .500" and that's clearly the Cubs' blueprint, but you make such a cogent argument about trying to play well.  Here's hoping they start to fucking listen to such common sense as dispensed here.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »

So to be clear...the Cardinals are currently firing on all cylinders, and the Cubs still can't get the engine to turn over.

While this has been happening, the Cardinals lead the Cubs by an insurmountable 2.5 games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: May 08, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 08, 2018, 11:26:50 AM

So to be clear...the Cardinals are currently firing on all cylinders, and the Cubs still can't get the engine to turn over.

While this has been happening, the Cardinals lead the Cubs by an insurmountable 2.5 games.

Didn't say the Cardinals are firing on all cylinders. I think Cubs fans are consistently underrating them as a threat based on the last two years, but I think this is the best group they've run out there in a few years. If they straighten out their bullpen there's not too  many holes on that roster, and the projections mostly agree. BP has both the Cubs and Cardinals at 87 wins, FG has the Cubs projected for 90 and STL for 88. The math doesn't have them that far apart.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: May 08, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:22:34 AM

Good advice.  Why doesn't anybody else recognize that the Cubs aren't trying to play well?  Christ why won't somebody listen to this blithering genius savant voice from the cornfields?  All along, conventional wisdom has suggested teams are better off "puttering around .500" and that's clearly the Cubs' blueprint, but you make such a cogent argument about trying to play well.  Here's hoping they start to fucking listen to such common sense as dispensed here.

Hey if the advice is "just shut the fuck up and watch the games" and never complain about anything can I strongly suggest it apply to everyone?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »

The point you're missing is that the Cubs have pissed away their cushion which would have allowed them to win the division easily which, though rather uncommon is, nevertheless the expectation of a suddenly-entitled fanbase  that seems put off by  having to endure the highs and lows of a....baseball season (and no coping mechanism to deal with the vicissitudes of a 6 months season where games are played every day).  Fucking selfish cunts these people are, not even considering the inconvenience they're foisting on their fans.  And fuck YOU for being cool with it, sheeple. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:27:59 AM

Didn't say the Cardinals are firing on all cylinders. I think Cubs fans are consistently underrating them as a threat based on the last two years, but I think this is the best group they've run out there in a few years. If they straighten out their bullpen there's not too  many holes on that roster.

As long as they've got Benjamin Grimm Jose Martinez over at 1B, their defense is going to be suspect.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:31:39 AM

The point you're missing is that the Cubs have pissed away their cushion which would have allowed them to win the division easily which, though rather uncommon is, nevertheless the expectation of a suddenly-entitled fanbase  that seems put off by  having to endure the highs and lows of a....baseball season (and no coping mechanism to deal with the vicissitudes of a 6 months season where games are played every day).  Fucking selfish cunts these people are, not even considering the inconvenience they're foisting on their fans.  And fuck YOU for being cool with it, sheeple.

I mean if you think given the core of talent they have to work with and their resources that the Cubs shouldn't be the clear and overwhelming favorite in this division I would say that you do have too low of expectations for them, yes. The Cubs are a 95+ win true talent team puttering along at an 87 win pace, the Cardinals are an 88-90 win team playing like one.

Plus, I believe it was you yelling at me when I wanted the Cubs to answer the Brewers moves for Yelich and Cain by signing Darvish about how the Cubs would be making moves with the aim of winning titles, not winning the division, as the division isn't an issue and their sights should be set higher. So I'm gonna say if our goal here is winning titles then playing well enough that they clinch this division easily should be part of that process.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:28:29 AM

Hey if the advice is "just shut the fuck up and watch the games" and never complain about anything can I strongly suggest it apply to everyone?

here let me help you:

Suggested things to complain/worry about:
Heyward's disappointing D. (and of course his continued wet noodle of a bat)
Javy's disappointing D
Russell's troubling offense (recent stretch notwithstanding)
Happ's struggles
Rizzo's bat
Yu's slow start

Things not to complain about:
Being behind 2 1/2 games to any team--let alone the Slapdick Cardinals--on May Fucking 7th.  Especially since it seems you're just voicing your having been inconvenienced by them not neatly wrapping up the division by the All-Star Break.

Seriously, you can rant all you want but this panicky "ZOMG the STANDINGS" in May is some embarrassing Chip Caray level of alarmism.  Have some fucking dignity, will ya?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:37:07 AM

here let me help you:

Javy's disappointing D
Happ's struggles
Rizzo's bat
Yu's slow start

Being behind 2 1/2 games to any team--let alone the Slapdick Cardinals--on May Fucking 7th.  Especially since it seems you're just voicing your having been inconvenienced by them not neatly wrapping up the division by the All-Star Break.

Seriously, you can rant all you want but this panicky "ZOMG the STANDINGS" in May is some embarrassing Chip Caray level of alarmism.  Have some fucking dignity, will ya?

What kind of weird ass logic is this? All of those things you say I can worry about ARE WHAT ARE CAUSING THE ISSUES WITH THE STANDINGS. My point is that if THOSE THINGS CONTINUE they can't just expect that the division will fall back to them whenever they get them figured out. Saying I can't worry about one but I should worry about the other when one is the cause of the other is...kind of ass backwards.

I'm not worried about the standings in May, I am worried that the team is under-achieving yet again, and while I'm with everyone on the whole "they'll figure it out eventually" train, my point is they probably have less time to dick around than they did last year, when the dicking around lasted till July. I would suggest they stop dicking around before June this year.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:33:04 AM

I mean if you think given the core of talent they have to work with and their resources that the Cubs shouldn't be the clear and overwhelming favorite in this division I would say that you do have too low of expectations for them, yes. The Cubs are a 95+ win true talent team puttering along at an 87 win pace, the Cardinals are an 88-90 win team playing like one.

You're using 5 weeks of play to project 6 months.  I really can't help your inability to take in an entire season. I can't.  I'm not even suggesting you enjoy it all--though I've personally  enjoyed pretty much every moment since Kris Bryant won the walkoff game against Colorado in July 2015 since, you know, I waited over 40 years to watch an exceptional baseball team (which is what they are in spite of your sad dissatisfaction).  Warts and all.  Fan all you want but just know you're losing your shit  after 5 weeks of play over a team that has come within 1 step of the World Series 3 times over the course of the last 150+ weeks.  WHAT. THE.  FUCK. DID. YOU. EXPECT. YOU. ENTITLED.  ASSHOLE.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:37:07 AM

here let me help you:

Javy's disappointing D
Happ's struggles
Rizzo's bat
Yu's slow start

What kind of weird ass logic is this? All of those things you say I can worry about ARE WHAT ARE CAUSING THE ISSUES WITH THE STANDINGS. My point is that if THOSE THINGS CONTINUE they can't just expect that the division will fall back to them whenever they get them figured out. Saying I can't worry about one but I should worry about the other when one is the cause of the other is...kind of ass backwards.

I'm not worried about the standings in May, I am worried that the team is under-achieving yet again, and while I'm with everyone on the whole "they'll figure it out eventually" train, my point is they probably have less time to dick around than they did last year, when the dicking around lasted till July. I would suggest they stop dicking around before June this year.

Ye of little faith.  It's almost as if you just started watching these assholes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:09 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:33:04 AM

You're using 5 weeks of play to project 6 months.  I really can't help your inability to take in an entire season. I can't.  I'm not even suggesting you enjoy it all--though I've personally  enjoyed pretty much every moment since Kris Bryant won the walkoff game against Colorado in July 2015 since, you know, I waited over 40 years to watch an exceptional baseball team (which is what they are in spite of your sad dissatisfaction).  Warts and all.  Fan all you want but just know you're losing your shit  after 5 weeks of play over a team that has come within 1 step of the World Series 3 times over the course of the last 150+ weeks.  WHAT. THE.  FUCK. DID. YOU. EXPECT. YOU. ENTITLED.  ASSHOLE.

I mean *I'm* not using 5 weeks to project 6 months. Those projections are data driven, and based on the fact that x number of teams that have played like this for this length of time tend to do x. The Cubs will probably play better! They also might fuck up enough in the early going that they really hurt their overall record by the time they do play up to their ability. The 2016 Astros got off to a slow start, then played like a 90+ win team for 5/6 months. But that first month sank them and cost them a playoff spot anyway. These things do matter. What I expect is that I was told to shut up and enjoy 7 years of title contention. In order to contend for the title they should try winning the division. In order to try winning the division they should play better than their divisional opponents. In order to play better than their divisional opponents they should try winning more than like, 50% of their games.

If you'd like to know more, please subscribe