News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: This. Fucking. Bullpen.  ( 48,430 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: This. Fucking. Bullpen.
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
Heyward's disappointing D. (and of course his continued wet noodle of a bat)
Javy's disappointing D
Russell's troubling offense (recent stretch notwithstanding)
Happ's struggles
Rizzo's bat
Yu's slow start

But hey since you asked I am worried about # 1, 3, 4, and 6. Javy's defense is fine. He made some bad throws in the cold and sometimes he tries to do too much. It'll even out with how often he does shit no one else can do. Rizzo will be fine. He had a stretch between late april/mid may last year where he looked every bit this bad. He's coming around.

Heyward is just a sunk cost and needs to be treated as such, but that's definitely not going to happen if Happ doesn't figure his shit out (and I will hold off on taking a 2 HR game against an AAA team as proof that he has, though he's definitely been better of late) and force him to the bench. I'm beginning to think Russell is just never going to be that guy. He's been bad more often than not offensively, and his power has just flat out vanished. I have no idea what Darvish' deal is but I'd say his track record matters more than his struggles, but who knows if this DL stint might slow him down even further.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
I do find it funny that the guys who most often respond to the worriers with "bah, this team is gonna win multiple titles during this run, calm the fuck down" seem the most angry at people who appear to have set their expectations at...winning multiple titles. Although to be fair to Huey that boast usually comes more from Fork.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 11:56:35 AM
I do find it funny that the guys who most often respond to the worriers with "bah, this team is gonna win multiple titles during this run, calm the fuck down" seem the most angry at people who appear to have set their expectations at...winning multiple titles. Although to be fair to Huey that boast usually comes more from Fork.

No I expect them to win multiple titles and will be disappointed if they don't.  However I don't agree that winning the regular season easily indicates improved odds of winning it all any more than sneaking in and getting hot indicates the same.  The point is to get in, which they have for 3 years running.  From there, it's a new season.

Even when they did cruise through a regular season,it didn't mean jack shit as far as their postseason was concerned and easily could've turned to dust.  They were looking into the abyss in each  series that year, and but for a couple plays here and there, they might have gone down.  Their ability to bounce off the mat against San Francisco when they were looking at blowing a 2-0 series lead, coming back down 2-1 to LA when they weren't hitting, and down 3-1 to Cleveland (also not hitting) had jack shit to do with the fact that they were 25-6 at some point 5 months earlier.

I don't know why you operate under some misguided premise that coasting through the regular season ensures a championship, but you do and I suggest that's your problem.  Trying to flip the script and point out some a-ha! hypocrisy is pretty fucking weak tea, hoss.  Just own up to being an impulsive idiot with the memory and attention span of a gnat.  Me?  I just plan on following and enjoying this team through their highs and lows and gearing up for a hopefully successful run in October.  It's not hard to do with this team.  Doubting them seems to take more effort than trusting that they'll be there at the end but you be you.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 12:28:40 PM

No I expect them to win multiple titles and will be disappointed if they don't.  However I don't agree that winning the regular season easily indicates improved odds of winning it all any more than sneaking in and getting hot indicates the same.  The point is to get in, which they have for 3 years running.  From there, it's a new season.

Even when they did cruise through a regular season,it didn't mean jack shit as far as their postseason was concerned and easily could've turned to dust.  They were looking into the abyss in each  series that year, and but for a couple plays here and there, they might have gone down.  Their ability to bounce off the mat against San Francisco when they were looking at blowing a 2-0 series lead, coming back down 2-1 to LA when they weren't hitting, and down 3-1 to Cleveland (also not hitting) had jack shit to do with the fact that they were 25-6 at some point 5 months earlier.

I don't know why you operate under some misguided premise that coasting through the regular season ensures a championship, but you do and I suggest that's your problem.  Trying to flip the script and point out some a-ha! hypocrisy is pretty fucking weak tea, hoss.  Just own up to being an impulsive idiot with the memory and attention span of a gnat.  Me?  I just plan on following and enjoying this team through their highs and lows and gearing up for a hopefully successful run in October.  It's not hard to do with this team.  Doubting them seems to take more effort than trusting that they'll be there at the end but you be you.

To be fair "just get in" mattered more before the play in game. The added value of not having to burn your ace in a win or go home situation is huge.

Also "you be you" kinda has no meaning when you consistently object to me being me at every juncture. If it doesn't bother you maybe try not responding to me every time

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 12:36:25 PM

To be fair "just get in" mattered more before the play in game. The added value of not having to burn your ace in a win or go home situation is huge.

Also "you be you" kinda has no meaning when you consistently object to me being me at every juncture. If it doesn't bother you maybe try not responding to me every time

Well I did follow your advice and stopped following you on Twitter.

And you actually make a good point (!) about just getting in in the Coinflip Game Era.  However, at the risk of being struck down for my hubris, I literally find the Cardinals competing for divisional supremacy laughable.  I literally laugh at the notion.  And getting pantsed by those turds this weekend hasn't moved the needle one bit for me.  Let 'em feel good about themselves.  The Cubs have absolutely dropped the hammer on this franchise in the months of September and October 3 years running and I look forward to them doing it again.  Being scared of this team is beneath us as Cubs fans and I give 2 shits what the standing are in May.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 12:41:35 PM

And you actually make a good point (!) about just getting in in the Coinflip Game Era.  However, at the risk of being struck down for my hubris, I literally find the Cardinals competing for divisional supremacy laughable.  I literally laugh at the notion.  And getting pantsed by those turds this weekend hasn't moved the needle one bit for me.  Let 'em feel good about themselves.  The Cubs have absolute dropped the hammer on this franchise in the months of September and October 3 years running and I look forward to them doing it again.  Being scared this of team is beneath us as Cubs fans and I give 2 shits what the stranding are in May.

And that's a perfectly valid and acceptable response provided you realize the numbers don't consider the Cubs to have that much of an advantage here. Your hubris is also an irrational and emotional response, just the opposite of mine.

We're not so different, you and I.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 12:46:04 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 12:41:35 PM

And you actually make a good point (!) about just getting in in the Coinflip Game Era.  However, at the risk of being struck down for my hubris, I literally find the Cardinals competing for divisional supremacy laughable.  I literally laugh at the notion.  And getting pantsed by those turds this weekend hasn't moved the needle one bit for me.  Let 'em feel good about themselves.  The Cubs have absolute dropped the hammer on this franchise in the months of September and October 3 years running and I look forward to them doing it again.  Being scared this of team is beneath us as Cubs fans and I give 2 shits what the stranding are in May.

And that's a perfectly valid and acceptable response provided you realize the numbers don't consider the Cubs to have that much of an advantage here. Your hubris is also an irrational and emotional response, just the opposite of mine.

We're not so different, you and I.

Okay, I laughed.

Asshole.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
Also the regular season results do to tend to be predictive in terms of the postseason. Although most people act like winning 100 games is some kinda curse because they remember x number of 100 win teams that flopped, a true talent 100 wins the pennant almost half of the time in the WC Era, the odds get worse the lower you go. It's like the mythical President's Cup curse or whatever that is bullshit because 1 seeds in the NHL win more often than other seeds.

The 2016 Cubs for example had about a 25% chance of winning the whole thing, I believe, whereas your average 90 win wildcard team has maybe an 8-12% chance generally. Up to you how much that extra 12% is worth. Theo wagered it was worth Gleyber Torres, anyway.

I know all of this bc you can bet your ass I spent the summer of 2016 calculating just how likely that team was to win it all.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
If 162 games divided out into innings, we're currently in the bottom of the second.

The Cubs are going to win the fucking World Serious, and when they do, I want you to remember the self-defecation you wallowed in on May Fucking Eighth.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 08, 2018, 03:53:34 PM
If 162 games divided out into innings, we're currently in the bottom of the second.

The Cubs are going to win the fucking World Serious, and when they do, I want you to remember the self-defecation you wallowed in on May Fucking Eighth.

Keep the Faith on May Fucking Eighth

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »

I'm gonna remember, and laugh, and learn nothing, and do this all over again, and you can't stop me.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: May 09, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 08, 2018, 04:30:45 PM

I'm gonna remember, and laugh, and learn nothing, and do this all over again, and you can't stop me.

I'm hiding the fucking Mallomars where you can't find them.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: May 09, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
speaking of this fucking bullpen it's like really fucking good. Hopefully the starters can start logging some more innings so they don't wear down in the second half like they did last year but so far this is the most reliable Cubs bullpen I can remember. I wish Morrow hadn't blown *that* particular save, but hard to bitch about him otherwise.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: May 09, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 08, 2018, 11:37:07 AM

here let me help you:

Suggested things to complain/worry about:

Rizzo's bat

how dare you, you entitled sonofabitch

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: May 09, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »
Is the Justin Hancock experiment over?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)