News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 120,911 )

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #330 on: April 09, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 09, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 09, 2015, 03:39:39 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 09, 2015, 02:44:28 PM
Also given my new geographic proximity to them and the fact that I get every damn one of their games on TV vs. like 1 in 4 Cubs games I've joined TEC and Eli as a part-time Royals fans, so fuck the Sox.

It's not a bad gig. Enjoy it if they have success, but their losses have no effect on me. Plus, they're constructed very differently than the Cubs, so it's a fun contrast.

Their fans also seriously fucking hate the Cardinals, so we've bonded quickly.

Don't they pretty much hate everyone more than they actually like their own team?

Shit, they even hate first base coaches.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on April 09, 2015, 08:04:41 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 09, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 09, 2015, 03:39:39 PM
Also given my new geographic proximity to them and the fact that I get every damn one of their games on TV vs. like 1 in 4 Cubs games I've joined TEC and Eli as a part-time Royals fans, so fuck the Sox.

It's not a bad gig. Enjoy it if they have success, but their losses have no effect on me. Plus, they're constructed very differently than the Cubs, so it's a fun contrast.

Their fans also seriously fucking hate the Cardinals, so we've bonded quickly.

Don't they pretty much hate everyone more than they actually like their own team?

Shit, they even hate first base coaches.

They're talking about the Royals, not the Shite Sox.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 09, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 06, 2015, 05:42:13 PM
Looks like the White Sox are 0-for-$9.8 million, Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, Rangel Ravelo and Josh Phegley with that Samardzija acquisition.

It'll be fun to track them this year because they have a) Abreu who is truly a monster and b) Sale who is truly an ace.

C) They don't have much else (many will say their rotation is actually really good and maybe it is but I don't care)

So when they play middling ball for the majority of the year or have one of those typical Sox losing streaks where they average 3 errors a game I'm just gonna be laughing. Because even if the Cubs end up middling themselves, this is hardly The Year. It's A Year, the first of many.

I really don't wish the Sox ill (I think that rivalry matters a hell of a lot more if you know actual White Sox fans, of which I know two very mild-mannered ones), but I've kind of decided to root against them because of the Sun Times angle that the White Sox are somehow the better of the two franchises because they've sucked while throwing money at problems the last few years while the Cubs have sucked without the money-throwing. Also that weird thing last year where Theo and Co. got criticized for not going after Abreu while they had their own 5 WAR first baseman tearing shit up.

I welcome you to the Sox Hatewagon and in turn look forward to pulling for your Royals. I've always pulled for any team in the Sox'  division that's a threat to them and the Royals suddenly fit that bill again for the first time since the second Reagan administration.  Great fucking start to the season--I couldn't be happier.  Go Royals.

*throws on Mark Gubicza jersey*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 10, 2015, 09:12:05 AM
Looks like the White Sox are 0-for-$9.8 million, Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, Rangel Ravelo and Josh Phegley with that Samardzija acquisition.

It'll be fun to track them this year because they have a) Abreu who is truly a monster and b) Sale who is truly an ace.

C) They don't have much else (many will say their rotation is actually really good and maybe it is but I don't care)

So when they play middling ball for the majority of the year or have one of those typical Sox losing streaks where they average 3 errors a game I'm just gonna be laughing. Because even if the Cubs end up middling themselves, this is hardly The Year. It's A Year, the first of many.

I really don't wish the Sox ill (I think that rivalry matters a hell of a lot more if you know actual White Sox fans, of which I know two very mild-mannered ones), but I've kind of decided to root against them because of the Sun Times angle that the White Sox are somehow the better of the two franchises because they've sucked while throwing money at problems the last few years while the Cubs have sucked without the money-throwing. Also that weird thing last year where Theo and Co. got criticized for not going after Abreu while they had their own 5 WAR first baseman tearing shit up.

I welcome you to the Sox Hatewagon and in turn look forward to pulling for your Royals. I've always pulled for any team in the Sox'  division that's a threat to them and the Royals suddenly fit that bill again for the first time since the second Reagan administration.  Great fucking start to the season--I couldn't be happier.  Go Royals.

*throws on Kid Rock jersey*
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 10, 2015, 09:13:36 AM

If I'm donning a Royals shirsey it's gonna be for Mike Sweeney. I loved that beefy sonofabitch and am still sad he never really had a shot to play for a contender.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
I like to tell myself that absent Hawk Harrelson and Jeff Samardzija, I don't really hate the White Sox at all but that's just not true. Because I'm a petty, unhappy person and I want that team to suck really bad. The fact that their fans seem to think that THEY are Chicago and the Cubbies fans are a bunch of out-of-town, know-nothing dipshits annoys the piss out of me. Fill up your park during a pennant race and then make that argument.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 10, 2015, 09:13:36 AM

*dons Drew Carey glasses*

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 10, 2015, 09:33:16 AM
I like to tell myself that absent Hawk Harrelson and Jeff Samardzija, I don't really hate the White Sox at all but that's just not true. Because I'm a petty, unhappy person and I want that team to suck really bad. The fact that their fans seem to think that THEY are Chicago and the Cubbies fans are a bunch of out-of-town, know-nothing dipshits annoys the piss out of me. Fill up your park during a pennant race and then make that argument.

Yeah see I think that's why I don't hate the White Sox. I've gathered that 90% of the hatred directed towards that franchise on this messageboard comes from LOCAL GUYS who have to deal with loathsome Sox fans. Outside of Chicago there are roughly 43 White Sox fans in the entire country and I've only come across a handful of them and they've been tolerable. I know a billion Cardinals fans and they all suck, so that hate is easy. Outside of Chicago the White Sox are just really, really fucking easy to ignore.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: April 10, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »

Besides, until 2005, the Sox had more or less been our partners in futility.

I've had as much fun listening to old timers talk about Jungle Jim Rivera as I have had listening to old timers talk about Andy Pafko.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 10, 2015, 09:37:29 AM

Yeah see I think that's why I don't hate the White Sox. I've gathered that 90% of the hatred directed towards that franchise on this messageboard comes from LOCAL GUYS who have to deal with loathsome Sox fans. Outside of Chicago there are roughly 43 White Sox fans in the entire country and I've only come across a handful of them and they've been tolerable. I know a billion Cardinals fans and they all suck, so that hate is easy. Outside of Chicago the White Sox are just really, really fucking easy to ignore.

Yeah, I remember those days. But when interleague play started even I got up for the games with the Sox because you could feel the intensity in the ballpark even on television and radio. I wanted in.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 10, 2015, 09:42:49 AM

Yeah, I remember those days. But when interleague play started even I got up for the games with the Sox because you could feel the intensity in the ballpark even on television and radio. I wanted in.

Yeah, but now that intensity is gone. It's so contrived.  Get rid of the natural rivalries and just rotate interleague divisional play like the NFL does.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 10, 2015, 10:15:33 AM

Yeah, but now that intensity is gone. It's so contrived.  Get rid of the natural rivalries and just rotate interleague divisional play like the NFL does.

You know for a fact that will never happen.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2015, 12:32:11 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 10, 2015, 11:53:54 AM

Certainly not while Uncle Jerry's still alive.  That's one of his few guaranteed sellouts.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 10, 2015, 12:32:11 PM

Yeah, but now that intensity is gone. It's so contrived.  Get rid of the natural rivalries and just rotate interleague divisional play like the NFL does.

Certainly not while Uncle Jerry's still alive.  That's one of his few guaranteed sellouts.

I think a lot fans still care about it. And that should still matter to some extant. Making sure that two teams in the same or nearby markets play each other during a 162 fucking game season isn't too big of a bone to flip. And unlike the NFL, interest in Major League Baseball is mostly local.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 10, 2015, 12:38:15 PM
Quote from: PANK! on April 10, 2015, 12:32:11 PM

Yeah, but now that intensity is gone. It's so contrived.  Get rid of the natural rivalries and just rotate interleague divisional play like the NFL does.

Certainly not while Uncle Jerry's still alive.  That's one of his few guaranteed sellouts.

I think a lot fans still care about it. And that should still matter to some extant. Making sure that two teams in the same or nearby markets play each other during a 162 fucking game season isn't too big of a bone to flip. And unlike the NFL, interest in Major League Baseball is mostly local.

Well remember that what Chuck thinks about something is what everyone else thinks. If Chuck doesn't like the NBA and spends all of his time on twitter talking about how he doesn't like the NBA, it's safe to say no one is interested in the NBA. If Chuck doesn't really care about playing the White Sox six times a year, then the intensity is gone, sell out crowds and tv ratings be damned.