News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Trade Deadline Thread  ( 8,247 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Trade Deadline Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 30, 2011, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 30, 2011, 09:49:41 PM
TPD.  Does no one want him or something?  What are they doing?

Just accept the truth.  The people running this franchise are even stupider than we are.

Can't really blame them.  You just don't go breaking up a golden juggernaut like the 2011 Chicago Cubs for nothing.

TRADE THESE GUYS
Baker
Byrd
Dempster
DeWitt
Grabow
Hendry
Johnson
Kenney
Marmol*
Marshall*
Pena
Ramirez*
Ricketts
Ricketts
Ricketts
Ricketts (not a guy)
Ricketts
Samardzija
Soriano
Wood*
Zambrano*
Anyone else a team would want except Castro, maybe Garza, maybe Soto

* = noooo, not them, noooooo
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
Meanwhile, the Astros have shipped out Michael Bourne and Hunter Pence.  Don't they understand that they'll need those guys to contend next year?

No wonder they're 7 games behind the Cubs.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
Apparently Marmol was inquired about by the Rangers. Cubs said no. It's easy to get pissed but we don't know what was offered.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 31, 2011, 11:56:19 AM
Apparently Marmol was inquired about by the Rangers. Cubs said no. It's easy to get pissed but we don't know what was offered.

I'd rather just get pissed now and assume the worst about the organization.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on July 31, 2011, 12:09:04 PM

I'm with TEC.  I'm going to assume that the they're hanging on to Marmol because the front office thinks they'll contend next year.  Now they can pay him $17MM over the next two years to save 22 games a season.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM

I'm with TEC.  I'm going to assume that the they're hanging on to Marmol because the front office thinks they'll contend next year.  Now they can pay him $17MM over the next two years to save 22 games a season.

How much money per walk/hit bastman is that?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
Quote from: CT III on July 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM

Hendry thinks that with $50 million coming off the books he can rebuild us a winner. It's gonna HAI.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
The Hendry part is the worst part of that sentence.  I never thought about it from the angle of what was being offered.  But for a .220 hitting 1B owed probably around $4M for the rest of the year and who is a free agent whom you better not resign to a multiyear deal next year when Planet Fielder is on the market, take a bucket of BP balls and maybe some glove string.  For fuck's sake, what are these retards thinking?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 01, 2011, 07:44:57 AM
The Hendry part is the worst part of that sentence.  I never thought about it from the angle of what was being offered.  But for a .220 hitting 1B owed probably around $4M for the rest of the year and who is a free agent whom you better not resign to a multiyear deal next year when Planet Fielder is on the market, take a bucket of BP balls and maybe some glove string.  For fuck's sake, what are these retards thinking?

Planet Fielder isn't coming here.  Neither is Pharma Albert.  I'm convinced that no changes are coming because, if Tom and his family felt that changes needed to be made, they'd have done so already.  They've not only owned the team for nearly 2 years now, but they've been intimate with the books and operations for nearly five years.  If you recall, the prospective owners all signed off on the management contract extensions before the sale was complete.

They know what they have and they appear to like it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 01, 2011, 08:37:35 AM

Planet Fielder isn't coming here.  Neither is Pharma Albert.  I'm convinced that no changes are coming because, if Tom and his family felt that changes needed to be made, they'd have done so already.  They've not only owned the team for nearly 2 years now, but they've been intimate with the books and operations for nearly five years.  If you recall, the prospective owners all signed off on the management contract extensions before the sale was complete.

They know what they have and they appear to like it.

Oh, so all that we needed was for Ricketts to give the go-ahead and Hendry (or a capable replacement) could call the Cardinals and demand Pujols come up here?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
Jayson Stark on the Deadline:
==================
Chicago Cubs

We heard from enough Cubs fans this month to know exactly what they were hoping this deadline would bring -- an Everything Must Go closeout sale. On Alfonso Soriano and his $18 million-a-year fizzle. On Carlos Zambrano and his $17.9 million shenanigans. On Aramis Ramirez and his $14.6 million home run-or-bust act.

Heck, these people even dreamed of watching the Cubs sell off guys they actually LIKE -- a Ryan Dempster or a Carlos Pena or even a Marlon Byrd -- just to change the mix and restart the engines.

Unfortunately, that was impossible. Between no-trade clauses, contracts that acted like no-trade clauses and low-energy under-performance from so many guys on this roster, the Cubs headed for the auction stand with almost nothing they could sell, other than Kosuke Fukudome. And once Fukudome was gone, that's exactly what they did get moved:

Nothing.

"Now that," said one scout, "is a deadline loser if I ever saw one."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »
No one else gets it.  Fukudome was the entire problem. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 01, 2011, 09:04:30 AM
Jayson Stark on the Deadline:
==================
Chicago Cubs

We heard from enough Cubs fans this month to know exactly what they were hoping this deadline would bring -- an Everything Must Go closeout sale. On Alfonso Soriano and his $18 million-a-year fizzle. On Carlos Zambrano and his $17.9 million shenanigans. On Aramis Ramirez and his $14.6 million home run-or-bust act.

Heck, these people even dreamed of watching the Cubs sell off guys they actually LIKE -- a Ryan Dempster or a Carlos Pena or even a Marlon Byrd -- just to change the mix and restart the engines.

Unfortunately, that was impossible. Between no-trade clauses, contracts that acted like no-trade clauses and low-energy under-performance from so many guys on this roster, the Cubs headed for the auction stand with almost nothing they could sell, other than Kosuke Fukudome. And once Fukudome was gone, that's exactly what they did get moved:

Nothing.

"Now that," said one scout, "is a deadline loser if I ever saw one."

He fails to take into account that Hendry's continued employment means that the Cubs did not lose Oneri Fleita.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »

The only thing that makes sense about keeping Pena is that if he walks at the end of the year the Cubs get a pretty high compensation pick for losing him. If the feeling is that that pick would be better than whatever he would have brought in a trade then I guess it makes sense to hang on to him.

That said, he'll probably be the first baseman next year because, as was already said, neither Fielder or Pujols are coming here. And even if either one did one would eat himself out of the league and the other would break down due to long-term drug use.

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on August 01, 2011, 09:31:33 AM
The only thing that makes sense about keeping Pena is that if he walks at the end of the year the Cubs get a pretty high compensation pick for losing him.

Not necessarily. Pena was so bad in 2010 that he's on the border of earning the Cubs a pick.  At best, he'd be a Type B free agent, which would get the Cubs a sandwich pick, not a first-rounder.