News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?  ( 26,013 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on July 10, 2010, 05:50:06 PM
Counterpoint

Great. It only took the guy hired to be the director of the minor leagues 15 years to get the system churning out prospects.

By all means, keep him.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 10, 2010, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: Night Man on July 10, 2010, 05:50:06 PM
Counterpoint

Great. It only took the guy hired to be the director of the minor leagues 15 years to get the system churning out prospects.

By all means, keep him.

Accurate take away as always...

QuoteRicketts has every right to choose his own GM, and this season is disappointing enough for him to justify a change. But whether Ricketts retains Hendry or hires someone else, the Cubs will be in pretty good shape. Not today, not tomorrow. But soon.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
I happened to catch the Sun-Times this morning where Gordo Busfield wrote a similar article.  When it came to Colvin, he mentioned his rookie-leading 12 home runs.  Not bad, but his batting average is down to .263.  I cringe to think what his OBP is--the Sun-Times insists on being a Luddite to their bitter final days and doesn't print it (though they do print SLG)--but I'm guessing it's not good.  I'm glad he's doing well but I suspect his value may never be higher.  Has a Rookie of the Year ever been traded after his rookie season?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 11, 2010, 01:05:03 PM
I happened to catch the Sun-Times this morning where Gordo Busfield wrote a similar article.  When it came to Colvin, he mentioned his rookie-leading 12 home runs.  Not bad, but his batting average is down to .263.  I cringe to think what his OBP is--the Sun-Times insists on being a Luddite to their bitter final days and doesn't print it (though they do print SLG)--but I'm guessing it's not good.  I'm glad he's doing well but I suspect his value may never be higher.  Has a Rookie of the Year ever been traded after his rookie season?

His on base is .313. His OPS+ is 114. Nothing special, really.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 11, 2010, 01:14:35 PM

His on base is .313. His OPS+ is 114. Nothing special, really.

I think he's either a speedy Mark Reynolds or a young Jeff Francouer. I'll tell you which I think more after I've seen him play 100 times in person.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Ricketts keeps positive outlook for Cubs

QuoteLOS ANGELES -- Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said Sunday he isn't pointing fingers at anyone for the team underachieving in the first half and was still having fun in his first season as owner.

"I'm not going to assign blame to anyone or anything," Ricketts said. "The fact is we came into the season, we had what appeared to be a pretty strong lineup. It hasn't worked out for whatever reason and it seems like the guys are putting it together now and let's just keep winning."

The Cubs have the top payroll in the National League but headed into the last game of the first half of the season on Sunday 9 1/2 games back in the Central. Ricketts, who arrived Sunday and planned on attending Tuesday's All-Star Game in Anaheim, said he "had the highest level of confidence" in general manager Jim Hendry.

"The fact is right now, Jim is our general manager, I support him, I think he does a great job, and after that we'll just take it one day at a time," Ricketts said.

This is the Ricketts family's first season as the Cubs owners, having completed the purchase last October. Last week, Ricketts met with season-ticket holders at Wrigley Field to get their feedback.

"We're doing what we think we can," Ricketts said. "We've tried to support every level throughout the organization. I've been out talking to folks to see if there's anything else we can be adding to the mix. In the end, you put the guys on the field and in the right chairs and you support them and hope they do the best. That's all we can do at the moment."

"Al made some great points; alcohol is Satan incarnate."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
Ricketts is still having a lot of fun. That's what it's about ya'll. No one is to blame for the team's performance this year.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Quote from: BH on July 12, 2010, 10:17:39 AM
Ricketts is still having a lot of fun. That's what it's about ya'll. No one is to blame for the team's performance this year.

I'm going to choose to focus on the two words in this article that give positive.

Quote"The fact is right now Jim is our general manager," he said. "I support him. I think he does a great job, and we'll just take it one day at a time."

Rozner has more on the African vacation.

QuoteDespite reports that the entire family was off the continent, one Cubs board member, Laura Ricketts, never left Chicago, staying on top of team matters and making sure communication to Africa was open.

"We all knew what was happening (with Zambrano) pretty quickly, and I think (GM) Jim Hendry took the right steps," Ricketts said. "I have confidence in our management, and we let them do the jobs they were hired to do.

"We're all disappointed with what's occurred this year, but I would have been no more disappointed had I been at Wrigley Field than I was in Tanzania."

The trip was indeed a vacation but planned with the dual purpose of visiting schools in Africa that the family has supported through a charity organization they originated called Opportunity Education.

"I'm a little surprised the trip caught people's attention to such an extent," Ricketts said. "It was a family trip that's been on the books for a couple years, since before we bought the Cubs, and it's not easy to accommodate everyone's schedule and make something like this happen.

"The first thing we did was visit the schools. Opportunity Education is not a publicity-seeking organization looking for money because it's funded entirely by our family, so we don't talk about it a lot, but it's important to us."

More than 1,000 schools in the impoverished countries of Africa and Asia would barely operate educationally without the Ricketts' funding.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 12, 2010, 12:22:22 PM

Rozner has more on the African vacation.

QuoteDespite reports that the entire family was off the continent, one Cubs board member, Laura Ricketts, never left Chicago, staying on top of team matters and making sure communication to Africa was open.

"We all knew what was happening (with Zambrano) pretty quickly, and I think (GM) Jim Hendry took the right steps," Ricketts said. "I have confidence in our management, and we let them do the jobs they were hired to do.

"We're all disappointed with what's occurred this year, but I would have been no more disappointed had I been at Wrigley Field than I was in Tanzania."

The trip was indeed a vacation but planned with the dual purpose of visiting schools in Africa that the family has supported through a charity organization they originated called Opportunity Education.

"I'm a little surprised the trip caught people's attention to such an extent," Ricketts said. "It was a family trip that's been on the books for a couple years, since before we bought the Cubs, and it's not easy to accommodate everyone's schedule and make something like this happen.

"The first thing we did was visit the schools. Opportunity Education is not a publicity-seeking organization looking for money because it's funded entirely by our family, so we don't talk about it a lot, but it's important to us."

More than 1,000 schools in the impoverished countries of Africa and Asia would barely operate educationally without the Ricketts' funding.

Finding future Cubs who can play day games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »

You think Heyward is available?  That'd be awesome.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on July 12, 2010, 12:38:41 PM
I happened to catch the Sun-Times this morning where Gordo Busfield wrote a similar article.  When it came to Colvin, he mentioned his rookie-leading 12 home runs.  Not bad, but his batting average is down to .263.  I cringe to think what his OBP is--the Sun-Times insists on being a Luddite to their bitter final days and doesn't print it (though they do print SLG)--but I'm guessing it's not good.  I'm glad he's doing well but I suspect his value may never be higher.  Has a Rookie of the Year ever been traded after his rookie season?

Yea, basically THIS.. There's no way Colvin's ROY with Strasburg, Davis, and Heyward in the same league

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on July 12, 2010, 12:38:41 PM

Fukudome and theriot for strasburg? Get it done Jimbo.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »
Not sure why the New York Daily News is trying to break this story that is a total non-story, but Sweet Uncle Lou, "is retiring as manager of the Chicago Cubs effective at the end of the season, the Daily News has learned."
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
It's official. Press conference coming up on Comcast and teh Score. What time? um... Shit.

EDIT: 4:15
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »
Get ready.