News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: All Purpose Why are the Bears drafting this douche thread. 4/26-27 2008.  ( 38,781 )

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 10:44:02 AM
Quote from: ~Apex on April 27, 2008, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 10:25:52 AM
I just think Angelo does not understand what the Draft is about. The Bears have problems on the offensive line, at quarterback and in the defensive secondary. And he just spent the team's fourth pick of the draft on a DEFENSIVE TACKLE. This wasn't a problem area, Angelo... If you wanted to pick one in the last round or two for depth, all right, but in the third freaking round???

Actually after Dvoracek and Harris got hurt (again and again) it was a bit of a black hole. They needed depth there. I think that's what the draft is about.

You draft depth late when you have more than one problem area that needs to be solved. Holes have to be filled through the Draft in this era if the team isn't going to spend money for good free agents, which the Bears are notorious for not spending big free agent money. The Bears still have big problems on the offensive line, quarterback and defensive secondary. I don't think JUST the Williams pick is going to solve the O-Line. I actually think the Bears need to draft another WR as well, but that point is arguable.

Justin King, Booty, Ainge or Scandrick from Boise State would have been much more appropriate picks.

Ainge?  Really?  You must have not seen him play at Tennessee. 

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: butthead on April 27, 2008, 10:58:29 AM
BC, safety is a need. Corner is not. You really hate P'nut that much? Really? You're out of your goddamn mind.

And until Dusty Dvoracek quits making Mike Brown look reliable, D tackle is a priority.

Intrepid Reader: Anthony Adams

What? What?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
The secondary was a big problem for last year's team, it should have been obvious through just watching the games. Unfortunately, management seems to want to avoid recognizing the problem just as much as you guys do. Either a safety or a corner, I don't care. I would prefer a corner to eventually help push Tillman to safety, which I think is where he should be, but a safety would be fine as well. Just do something there, and soon.

Personally, I would have most liked a Justin King pick there. But a QB, OL or another defensive secondary player would've been fine too. I just don't see the point of drafting a DT in the third round, I really don't see the point of it.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:04:49 AM
The secondary was a big problem for last year's team, it should have been obvious through just watching the games. Unfortunately, management seems to want to avoid recognizing the problem just as much as you guys do. Either a safety or a corner, I don't care. I would prefer a corner to eventually help push Tillman to safety, which I think is where he should be, but a safety would be fine as well. Just do something there, and soon.

Personally, I would have most liked a Justin King pick there. But a QB, OL or another defensive secondary player would've been fine too. I just don't see the point of drafting a DT in the third round, I really don't see the point of it.

Shhhh...

This is a weak draft for safeties.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
Quote from: air2300 on April 27, 2008, 10:59:53 AM
I just think Angelo does not understand what the Draft is about. The Bears have problems on the offensive line, at quarterback and in the defensive secondary. And he just spent the team's fourth pick of the draft on a DEFENSIVE TACKLE. This wasn't a problem area, Angelo... If you wanted to pick one in the last round or two for depth, all right, but in the third freaking round???

Actually after Dvoracek and Harris got hurt (again and again) it was a bit of a black hole. They needed depth there. I think that's what the draft is about.

You draft depth late when you have more than one problem area that needs to be solved. Holes have to be filled through the Draft in this era if the team isn't going to spend money for good free agents, which the Bears are notorious for not spending big free agent money. The Bears still have big problems on the offensive line, quarterback and defensive secondary. I don't think JUST the Williams pick is going to solve the O-Line. I actually think the Bears need to draft another WR as well, but that point is arguable.

Justin King, Booty, Ainge or Scandrick from Boise State would have been much more appropriate picks.

I watched Ainge at Tennessee. I see him as fairly raw, he has potential that would have to be developed. He has a really bad habit of having his team in position to possibly win the game in the fourth quarter and then throwing a soul-crushing interception. Still, worth a third-rounder if you are needing a QB, in my opinion.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:04:49 AM
The secondary was a big problem for last year's team, it should have been obvious through just watching the games.

Part of the reason it was a problem was one of the guys watching the games was Nate Vasher.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:07:05 AM
I watched Ainge at Tennessee. I see him as fairly raw, he has potential that would have to be developed. He has a really bad habit of having his team in position to possibly win the game in the fourth quarter and then throwing a soul-crushing interception. Still, worth a third-rounder if you are needing a QB, in my opinion.

Did you really just write this?

For those of you interested in the actual picks, here's some info from the Trib blog:

QuoteGabriel said the Bears had Bennett rated as the highest target on their board, even higher than some of the receivers picked in the second round Saturday. The Bears view Bennett as capable of coming in and at least competing for playing time.

"I like Earl a lot," said offensive coordinator Ron Turner. "We targeted him early, had a real high grade on him. Watch a lot of tape on him, obviously. He's got great quickness, a really good route runner, very precise route runner, good run after the catch."

Bennett should have the opportunity to contribute immediately. The Bears lost Bernard Berrian to the Vikings and cut Muhsin Muhammad. Although Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd were signed in the off-season, the Bears still don't have a solid No. 1 receiver.

"He'll get an opportunity, obviously, to come in and compete," Turner said. "He's a very intelligent young man, so he shouldn't have any trouble picking things up. Very competitive, so I know he'll enjoy coming in and competing. We'll just give him a chance to come in and compete with the guys we have currently on our roster."

Turner said Bennett has been compared to Hines Ward, the great Pittsburgh wide receiver. Bennett remained humble in accepting such praise.

QuoteThe first three picks, the Bears could cite character and intangibles as big factors in their decisions. But Arkansas defensive tackle Marcus Harrison? Harrison was arrested Aug. 24 and accused of having an ecstasy pill and marijuana in his vehicle when he was stopped by Fayetteville police. He was charged with one count of possession of a controlled substance. Maybe it was a bad coincidence or a blip on Harrison's personal radar. But it raises questions about his maturity as a professional football player.

Beyond character concerns, a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during spring practice in 2007 healed but it's not something that instills much confidence about his durability.

You can't like all the picks. This is the first head-scratcher the Bears have made.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
I was fine with the first three picks. They all are good talents that fill positions of need. Harrison just doesn't make sense. In terms of talent, Harrison is not a reach. It just is a matter of the pick not fitting the Bears' needs.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
It's not a draft day without an Angelo trade down!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:14:29 AM
I was fine with the first three picks. They all are good talents that fill positions of need. Harrison just doesn't make sense. In terms of talent, Harrison is not a reach. It just is a matter of the pick not fitting the Bears' needs.

How can you have three DTs on the roster with only two having significant experience as a pro and all three coming off serious injuries and not rate that position as a "need" or a "priority" or a "problem area?"

You just don't make a lick of sense.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:20:37 AM

OH NOEZ!!!! More draft picks!!11!!

Hold me.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
In the late rounds, more picks equals more chances to hit on/get lucky with some guy.  But you keep bashing Angelo. 

JakeD

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:07:05 AM
Quote from: air2300 on April 27, 2008, 10:59:53 AM

Yeah, this is just the franchise and coaching staff that can do it.
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, Gonna kick some ass - ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
Quote from: air2300 on April 27, 2008, 11:24:28 AM
In late round, more picks equals more chances to hit on/get lucky with some guy.  But you keep bashing Angelo. 

Well, in his defense, at least it wasn't a first-round trade down. I'm just frustrated with how many problems this team has... When there are so many problems, even trying to fix a decent-sized one like the DT situation can be a problem if the team is ignoring bigger ones...

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BC on April 27, 2008, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: air2300 on April 27, 2008, 11:24:28 AM
In late round, more picks equals more chances to hit on/get lucky with some guy.  But you keep bashing Angelo. 

Well, in his defense, at least it wasn't a first-round trade down. I'm just frustrated with how many problems this team has... When there are so many problems, even trying to fix a decent-sized one like the DT situation can be a problem if the team is ignoring bigger ones...

I like that you're defending Angelo from...you.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all