News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 Chicago Cubs: Career Years for Everyone!  ( 43,364 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2011 Chicago Cubs: Career Years for Everyone!
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 09, 2011, 04:05:46 PM
Quote from: Tony on March 09, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
There needs to be a good balance of optimism, cynicism, hope, realism...all that crap.

The dopey "Cubbie" fans that give us a bad name annoy me enough to push me towards the bitter side. I went to a game a few years ago, when Dusty was still in charge, with some out of town fans that were really into a meaningless game at the end of the year because they loved the Cubbies and wanted to see a W. They couldn't understand why I didn't give a shit if they won or lost. If it's not leading to a championship, either that year or by building to one down the road, then I don't care.

Maybe the title drought is getting to me as a fan. I'm sure it gets in the heads of the players, which is why they tend to shit their pants in the playoffs. There's not a curse, but there's enough talk about a curse to fuck with all of us.

So if all that matters is a championship, why should we care about this team this year? They aren't contenders, and there's no plan in place to make them contenders. I was looking forward to this year without hype, without a big name manager giving false hope, without expectations. I just wanted to watch baseball. There should be enough decent young players to keep me interested. Maybe once the season starts I'll enjoy it.

Some people only get to see the Cubs play at Wrigley once every year or more. If they want to get drunk and go balls-out hoping for a win even though the team iis out of contention, that's fine with me. If they're having fun and not being dicks, that's cool. If they're trying to get me to give a crap when I'm on game 8 that season and haven't seen a win since April when I froze my dick off, then I might flip them off.

I'm all for having a good time at the old ballpark, but it's kind of pathetic to treat game #161 for a last place team like game 7 of the World Series. Especially if the game goes 14 damn innings.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »
Quote from: Tony on March 09, 2011, 09:48:17 PM
There needs to be a good balance of optimism, cynicism, hope, realism...all that crap.

The dopey "Cubbie" fans that give us a bad name annoy me enough to push me towards the bitter side. I went to a game a few years ago, when Dusty was still in charge, with some out of town fans that were really into a meaningless game at the end of the year because they loved the Cubbies and wanted to see a W. They couldn't understand why I didn't give a shit if they won or lost. If it's not leading to a championship, either that year or by building to one down the road, then I don't care.

Maybe the title drought is getting to me as a fan. I'm sure it gets in the heads of the players, which is why they tend to shit their pants in the playoffs. There's not a curse, but there's enough talk about a curse to fuck with all of us.

So if all that matters is a championship, why should we care about this team this year? They aren't contenders, and there's no plan in place to make them contenders. I was looking forward to this year without hype, without a big name manager giving false hope, without expectations. I just wanted to watch baseball. There should be enough decent young players to keep me interested. Maybe once the season starts I'll enjoy it.

Some people only get to see the Cubs play at Wrigley once every year or more. If they want to get drunk and go balls-out hoping for a win even though the team iis out of contention, that's fine with me. If they're having fun and not being dicks, that's cool. If they're trying to get me to give a crap when I'm on game 8 that season and haven't seen a win since April when I froze my dick off, then I might flip them off.

I'm all for having a good time at the old ballpark, but it's kind of pathetic to treat game #161 for a last place team like game 7 of the World Series. Especially if the game goes 14 damn innings.

I assume this is a real story.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 09, 2011, 10:36:26 PM

Me being stuck at a 14 inning game with super-excited fans when the season was all but over and the Cubs were in last place, or Apex flipping somebody off?

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:43 AM »
Jesus H. Christ, reading about the second base situation alone makes me realize there's no fucking hope this season.

DeWitt better start playing defense, or Jeff Baker, Augie Ojeda or Darwin Barney might take his job.

Just fuck.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2011, 04:35:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 09, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
Something in my brain broke during the 2008 NLCS and things just haven't been the same since.  I get very little joy out of these buttplugs nowadays.  I'm just being honest.  I hate this organization, its fanbase and most of all myself.

That Dodgers-Phillies series messed me up too

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 06:48:33 AM »
Quote from: Tony on March 09, 2011, 10:58:39 PM

Me being stuck at a 14 inning game with super-excited fans when the season was all but over and the Cubs were in last place, or Apex flipping somebody off?

Your situation.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 10, 2011, 06:48:33 AM
Quote from: Tony on March 09, 2011, 10:58:39 PM

Your situation.

It was all too real. But the more I think about it, I was probably being a Debbie Downer when my friends just wanted to have a good time.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »

I didn't really freeze my dick off.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
So who's going to make the rotation? Will Tubby and Snork take a field trip to the glue factory and never return? Does Wellington have a shot at the backup catcher job? Will Fernando make the team?

18 days until the title run begins, dogdens.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 16, 2011, 09:33:27 AM
So who's going to make the rotation? Will Tubby and Snork take a field trip to the glue factory and never return? Does Wellington have a shot at the backup catcher job? Will Fernando make the team?

I watched 30 for 30 this morning. So I can confirm that the Cubs are basically fucked unless Aramis played 150 games.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »
This should be enjoyable.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 16, 2011, 09:34:46 AM

I watched 30 for 30 this morning. So I can confirm that the Cubs are basically fucked unless Aramis played 150 games.

I tuned in, on a sporadic basis, to Saturday's game, and here's what I saw.

Tyler Colvin on first base.  Somebody else on second.  Deep fly ball toward the right field foul line.  Right fielder catches the ball in foul territory.  The runner on second tags, natch.  But so does Tyler.  From first base.  And he gets gunned down.  Inning over.

I flip on the Big 10 tournament, watch a litte, twiddle my thumbs, and eventually turn the Cubs game back on.  Colvin's on first again.  Pitch is thrown in the dirt and bounces about 14 feet away from the catcher.  Tyler runs.  Again.  And he get gunned down.  Again.  Inning over.  Again.

If the fanbase is looking for a white, mediocre ballplayer who's also a stupid and shitty baserunner to fill the void left by Ryan Theriot's departure, I do believe they have found their man.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2011, 12:40:09 PM
This should be enjoyable.

Most of us turned off after the Cubs lost game number seven, so we barely remember that the Marlins went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series.  You know who should be really pissed at Bartman?  The Yankees.  If not for Bartman the Yankees would have probably swept the Cubs in four games.  You know who should love Bartman?  Cub fans.  He saved us from getting swept out of the Series in four games, which would have been far worse than losing the playoffs in seven games.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 16, 2011, 01:47:19 PM
Quote from: Slaky on March 16, 2011, 09:34:46 AM

I tuned in, on a sporadic basis, to Saturday's game, and here's what I saw.

Tyler Colvin on first base.  Somebody else on second.  Deep fly ball toward the right field foul line.  Right fielder catches the ball in foul territory.  The runner on second tags, natch.  But so does Tyler.  From first base.  And he gets gunned down.  Inning over.

I flip on the Big 10 tournament, watch a litte, twiddle my thumbs, and eventually turn the Cubs game back on.  Colvin's on first again.  Pitch is thrown in the dirt and bounces about 14 feet away from the catcher.  Tyler runs.  Again.  And he get gunned down.  Again.  Inning over.  Again.

If the fanbase is looking for a white, mediocre ballplayer who's also a stupid and shitty baserunner to fill the void left by Ryan Theriot's departure, I do believe they have found their man.

Why I believe this fanbase IS in the market for just such a player.  What luck!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 16, 2011, 01:48:37 PM
He saved us from getting swept out of the Series in four games, which would have been far worse than losing the playoffs in seven games.

So says the maroon who saw the Cubs win a pennant during his lifetime.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.