News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 102,034 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #615 on: September 28, 2010, 07:34:31 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 28, 2010, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 28, 2010, 12:24:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 27, 2010, 11:59:27 PM
3-0. Now it's time to start hating on the New Fork Football Giants.

But that DirecTV commercial tells me "New York...greatest city...especially the Football Giants...you must respect."

I don't want to get dropped off at what clearly isn't Central Park, dude.

As long as your cabbie isn't Fork, you should be fine.

The NYC quota for American Cabbies has been met at one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: September 28, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 28, 2010, 07:34:31 AM

But that DirecTV commercial tells me "New York...greatest city...especially the Football Giants...you must respect."

The Giants are 4-10 with 38 turnovers in their last 14 games. Your thoughts?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: September 28, 2010, 09:30:06 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 28, 2010, 09:13:55 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 28, 2010, 07:34:31 AM

The Giants are 4-10 with 38 turnovers in their last 14 games. Your thoughts?

He can't hear you with three Super Bowl rings shoved up his ass.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
So Lovie Smith.

I'm guessing this was the week that Lovie decided to hand out lessons. He benched Harris and Aromashadu (and apparently Harris wants out of Chicago now). He benched Forte for a spell as Chet had a good chunk of playing time in the first half. Then he benched Bowman for what I assume was a missed tackle. He also benched Shaffer and brought in Webb at tackle.

I think the thing about Lovie is he still has no clue how to manage timeouts and challenges (he gets too caught up in the moment and doesn't think long term) and he certainly doesn't have that loud, angry style that idiots seem to think better motivates players (it doesn't). But he does hold people accountable and for that I am pleased. I think we all agree that Tommie Harris has had a free pass for a long, long time and Lovie is tired of it. Clearly the Bears didn't miss him much last night. The Packers didn't run the ball for shit and there was certainly a fair amount of pressure on Rodgers, at least not so little that someone like Harris would have made much of a difference.

I guess what I'm saying is there are some glaring weaknesses in Lovie's coaching abilities but clearly there are some strengths.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: September 28, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 10:02:28 AM
So Lovie Smith.

I'm guessing this was the week that Lovie decided to hand out lessons. He benched Harris and Aromashadu (and apparently Harris wants out of Chicago now). He benched Forte for a spell as Chet had a good chunk of playing time in the first half. Then he benched Bowman for what I assume was a missed tackle. He also benched Shaffer and brought in Webb at tackle.

I think the thing about Lovie is he still has no clue how to manage timeouts and challenges (he gets too caught up in the moment and doesn't think long term) and he certainly doesn't have that loud, angry style that idiots seem to think better motivates players (it doesn't). But he does hold people accountable and for that I am pleased. I think we all agree that Tommie Harris has had a free pass for a long, long time and Lovie is tired of it. Clearly the Bears didn't miss him much last night. The Packers didn't run the ball for shit and there was certainly a fair amount of pressure on Rodgers, at least not so little that someone like Harris would have made much of a difference.

I guess what I'm saying is there are some glaring weaknesses in Lovie's coaching abilities but clearly there are some strengths.

I also think we have to give him some begrudging respect. As much as the 700 slants they allow are maddeningly frustrating, the scheme worked and they held when it mattered and forced the Packers to use up a lot of time to get practically nothing on the scoreboard. Against less talented quarterbacks and less jersey-hugging offensive lines that defense is going to be even more effective.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2010, 10:07:09 AM
So Lovie Smith.

I also think we have to give him some begrudging respect. As much as the 700 slants they allow are maddeningly frustrating, the scheme worked and they held when it mattered and forced the Packers to use up a lot of time to get practically nothing on the scoreboard. Against less talented quarterbacks and less jersey-hugging offensive lines that defense is going to be even more effective.

Harris wants out now?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: September 28, 2010, 10:12:42 AM »
So Lovie Smith.

Timeout and challenge managing inadequacies can be said for alot of coaches, case in point Mike Mccarthy.

I think now that Lovie's job is on the line he is no longer complacent like he was after the Super Bowl appearance. He is coaching like he did when first got here; holding players accountable, playing the best players, and taking more chances.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2010, 10:07:09 AM
So Lovie Smith.

Exactly. A few times during the game I would look at the score relative to the clock and wonder how the hell the Packers had so few points. But that's the game plan. The Bears generally want to mix in some forced turnovers to stop those long drives against them but they didn't let up any big plays at all, did they? I can't think of many plays, if any, that were good for 25 yards or more.

I think a lot of people sensed that fumble the Bears forced and the new folkhero Tim Jennings recovered was long overdue. Couldn't have come at a better time. I think the blocked field goal factors in, too. The Bears have two guys that are really good at it in Peppers and Idonije. This won't be the last blocked field goal this year.

Also, Julius Peppers is all that he was advertised to be and more. What a beast.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
RE: the Tommie Harris situation - http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2010/09/tommie-harris-wants-out-of-chicago.html

Just a blog, so who knows how much stock can be put into it. Probably not much considering it's been hosted by the National Organization of Women. But it's plausible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 10:14:36 AM
The Bears are good:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/28/versatile-hungry-bears-prove-their-worth-to-packers/

Wait... no they're not!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/28/packers.bears.5things/index.html?eref=sihp

Fuck Don Banks in the eye with James Jones' penis hands.

QuoteI'm still not sure how the Bears have found their way to 3-0 for the first time since 2006, but I do know they're the last and most unlikely team to be perfect in the NFC.

Yes, more unlikely than the Cardinals, Lions, Buccaneers and so on. The Bears were predicted to finish 0-16. How are they doing this?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: September 28, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 10:18:10 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 10:14:36 AM
The Bears are good:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/28/versatile-hungry-bears-prove-their-worth-to-packers/

Wait... no they're not!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/28/packers.bears.5things/index.html?eref=sihp

Fuck Don Banks in the eye with James Jones' penis hands.

QuoteI'm still not sure how the Bears have found their way to 3-0 for the first time since 2006, but I do know they're the last and most unlikely team to be perfect in the NFC.

Yes, more unlikely than the Cardinals, Lions, Buccaneers and so on. The Bears were predicted to finish 0-16. How are they doing this?

Luck obviously. Because the Packers decided it would be fun to give up two long punt returns and fumble fuck a final drive away. How often can you count on that happening?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: September 28, 2010, 10:25:18 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 28, 2010, 10:12:42 AM
So Lovie Smith.

Timeout and challenge managing inadequacies can be said for alot of coaches, case in point Mike Mccarthy.

I think now that Lovie's job is on the line he is no longer complacent like he was after the Super Bowl appearance. He is coaching like he did when first got here; holding players accountable, playing the best players, and taking more chances.

Actually, last night, Lovie used a challange that was pretty much spot on for the situation.  He didn't win it, but it was close enough.

It was the Bennett completetion at teh goal-line on third down int he third quarter.  The Bears were going to call a time-out anyway, but instead of the time-out, Lovie challenged the play.  The only thing he had to lose was teh challenge, leaving them with only 1.

Maybe Lovie is learning.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: September 28, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2010, 10:25:18 AM
So Lovie Smith.

Actually, last night, Lovie used a challange that was pretty much spot on for the situation.  He didn't win it, but it was close enough.

It was the Bennett completetion at teh goal-line on third down int he third quarter.  The Bears were going to call a time-out anyway, but instead of the time-out, Lovie challenged the play.  The only thing he had to lose was teh challenge, leaving them with only 1.

Maybe Lovie is learning.

Catch the fucking ball, Dez Clark.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: September 28, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2010, 10:25:18 AM
So Lovie Smith.

Maybe Lovie is learning.

I agree Lovie made the right call in that challenge.  I'd say he's come a long way since last Green Bay/Bears tilt when he effectively aborted a sudden Bears comeback by calling a timeout to think about challenging, then challenging, then losing the challenege (and second consecutive time out).  So, yay.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs