News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lilly Rotation; Zambrano Bullpen  ( 35,147 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Lilly Rotation; Zambrano Bullpen
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 23, 2010, 09:41:16 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on April 23, 2010, 09:39:20 PM
Quote from: BH on April 23, 2010, 05:08:04 PM
Cheap Bullpen option.

Royals released RHP Juan Cruz.

Because he was simply killing the team with his 3.38 ERA. Wait! What? 3.38 ERA? Yeah, the Royals are giving up on Cruz after just 5 1/3 innings, even though he was dragging down the team's ERA as a whole. In their defense, he had given up nine hits and four walks, leaving him with a 2.44 WHIP. However, he had also struck out seven. Cruz is still throwing 92-95 mph, and while that's down from a couple of years ago, he hardly seems hopeless. We imagine there will be upwards of 20 teams interested in him now that he can be had for the minimum.

His small frame but good pitch speed reminds me of a young Pedro Martinez.

/2002'd

Call KC and offer them Vitters for Farnsworth. It's time to cut bait with that kid. /al

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=5938.msg212673#msg212673

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
We've discussed the Zambrano Bullpen portion of this topic enough. Time to move on to the Lilly Rotation part: I love this man.

QuoteSo what was Lilly thinking when he made a headfirst slide into second base on a steal attempt in his rehab start at Class-A Peoria?

"Trying to steal second," he said.

Why?

"Because they teach you when you're going into a base and there's a play at the base, they teach you to slide, instead of standing up," he said.

Why would a rehabbing pitcher do that?

"Because I was trying to steal a base," he said. "I was trying to get a run for the team, so the team can score more runs, and our team could score more runs than the other team. Because if we that, then we'll win."

Didn't you risk injuring yourself?

"Every day," he said. "Every day is dangerous."

He said as he sharpened his machete.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Well, he's already the most successful pitcher in the bullpen?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2010, 08:31:11 PM

Will Lou keep him in to get the save? Or was the 2 pitch outing all we'll see?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
My love for Z can overcome my befuddlement at Uncle's Lou's Wacky Experiment.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 24, 2010, 08:32:11 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2010, 08:31:11 PM

Will Lou keep him in to get the save? Or was the 2 pitch outing all we'll see?

He'll stay on for the 8th to set up Marmol for the 9th.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 24, 2010, 08:32:29 PM
My love for Z can overcome my befuddlement at Uncle's Lou's Wacky Experiment.

Sure, the idea of him in the pen is weird and stupid. But when Z comes out to pitch and then hit for himself it's great theater.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »
If every 8th inning appearance includes him giving up a run and driving one in he's going to the hall of fame. As something.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Day Man on April 21, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
Just in case you haven't decided which side you're on yet:

Quote from: Al Yellon, King of the SimpsGood. I'm all for this. Discuss. I'll delay the pregame post until 5:00 CDT again.

Time to celebrate!  Push back that pregame post!  Lou Piniella GETS IT.

My favorite take on this was Dolan's e-mail to Pollyellon:

QuoteRe: Your take on Carlos to the bullpen

Just reminds us all what a fucking idiot you are.

Love always,
Andy

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
There's really not any one line here that's any less stupid than the rest so I guess I'll just have to quote the whole thing.

Quote1. Carlos Zambrano sure looked good working out of the bullpen Monday night. Let's not get too excited just yet, but if his arm holds up it's hard to see why Lou Piniella ever would let him out of that role.

Without Zambrano's 1 2-3 innings, the Cubs probably don't get that 10-inning win over Washington. They've been a different team since Piniella announced that Zambrano was going into the bullpen to fill the team's void from the right side, winning five of six games to reach .500 after opening the season 5-9, and just may have taken a radical action that produces amazing results.

Lots of people, present company included, weren't wild about the move when Piniella announced it last Wednesday. But Zambrano's 93- and 94-mph fastballs worked awfully well in front of Carlos Marmol's mesmerizing combination of fastballs and sliders against the Washington Nationals. It was also important for Piniella that Zambrano could be extended beyond one inning, which should be the case on something of a regular basis.
Let's see how well Zambrano holds up physically and emotionally to working as a set-up man. If he can handle it in both areas, and if the starting rotation remains solid enough that he's not missed in his usual role, then the Cubs could go from having the worst bullpen in baseball to one that's above average -- with lefties Sean Marshall and John Grabow joining Zambrano and Marmol in working the last three innings.

This could be an advantage for the Cubs in head-to-head matchups with St. Louis -- the team the Cubs must beat if they're going to be contenders -- but it can't be fully judged after only two outings in a span of four days.

Zambrano did a nice job talking about his feelings before the game Monday. He's right in saying that a willingness to make the transition shows he's a team player. If he can sustain that willingness -- something that shouldn't be that difficult for all of 2010, as it's the middle year on a guaranteed five-year contract, and thus of little long-term financial impact -- it could be huge.

Zambrano as a starter was never a leader. Zambrano as a reliever could become a leader. Who saw that coming?

Maybe Jim Hendry. Maybe Larry Rothschild. Maybe Greg Maddux. Maybe Piniella. And almost nobody else, including Zambrano.

What's your take, CFiHP?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 27, 2010, 12:30:05 PM
There's really not any one line here that's any less stupid than the rest so I guess I'll just have to quote the whole thing.

Quote1. Carlos Zambrano sure looked good working out of the bullpen Monday night. Let's not get too excited just yet, but if his arm holds up it's hard to see why Lou Piniella ever would let him out of that role.

Without Zambrano's 1 2-3 innings, the Cubs probably don't get that 10-inning win over Washington. They've been a different team since Piniella announced that Zambrano was going into the bullpen to fill the team's void from the right side, winning five of six games to reach .500 after opening the season 5-9, and just may have taken a radical action that produces amazing results.

Lots of people, present company included, weren't wild about the move when Piniella announced it last Wednesday. But Zambrano's 93- and 94-mph fastballs worked awfully well in front of Carlos Marmol's mesmerizing combination of fastballs and sliders against the Washington Nationals. It was also important for Piniella that Zambrano could be extended beyond one inning, which should be the case on something of a regular basis.
Let's see how well Zambrano holds up physically and emotionally to working as a set-up man. If he can handle it in both areas, and if the starting rotation remains solid enough that he's not missed in his usual role, then the Cubs could go from having the worst bullpen in baseball to one that's above average -- with lefties Sean Marshall and John Grabow joining Zambrano and Marmol in working the last three innings.

This could be an advantage for the Cubs in head-to-head matchups with St. Louis -- the team the Cubs must beat if they're going to be contenders -- but it can't be fully judged after only two outings in a span of four days.

Zambrano did a nice job talking about his feelings before the game Monday. He's right in saying that a willingness to make the transition shows he's a team player. If he can sustain that willingness -- something that shouldn't be that difficult for all of 2010, as it's the middle year on a guaranteed five-year contract, and thus of little long-term financial impact -- it could be huge.

Zambrano as a starter was never a leader. Zambrano as a reliever could become a leader. Who saw that coming?

Maybe Jim Hendry. Maybe Larry Rothschild. Maybe Greg Maddux. Maybe Piniella. And almost nobody else, including Zambrano.

What's your take, CFiHP?

R-V, why did you take out the good stuff? Like the bit where Phil Rogers congratulated himself on coming up with the idea for a Crosstown Trophy (And call it the Elwood Blues Cup-- so CLEVER!), or the real gem in which Alex Rios and John Danks along with a bunch of White Sox "prospects" would be an attractive centerpiece for the Brewers to deal them Prince Fielder.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 27, 2010, 12:42:41 PM

What's your take, CFiHP?

R-V, why did you take out the good stuff? Like the bit where Phil Rogers congratulated himself on coming up with the idea for a Crosstown Trophy (And call it the Elwood Blues Cup-- so CLEVER!), or the real gem in which Alex Rios and John Danks along with a bunch of White Sox "prospects" would be an attractive centerpiece for the Brewers to deal them Prince Fielder.

I think the Desipio database can only hold 10.2 jigabytes of stupidity. I was afraid of crashing the site and depriving everyone of the ability to read the riveting Kurt Evans brouhaha.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 27, 2010, 01:02:08 PM

What's your take, CFiHP?

I think the Desipio database can only hold 10.2 jigabytes of stupidity. I was afraid of crashing the site and depriving everyone of the ability to read the riveting Kurt Evans brouhaha.

That can't be right.  I'm sure we've exceeded that capacity long ago.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »

What's your take, CFiHP?

Racist.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 27, 2010, 01:13:08 PM

What's your take, CFiHP?

That can't be right.  I'm sure we've exceeded that capacity long ago.

You'd be amazed how much current stupidity compression can be done with very little loss.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck