News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Monuments Men  ( 1,517 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Monuments Men
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:22 PM »
I am anxious to see this movie.  American soldiers found art that the Nazis had "salted away"  (bad pun) in salt mines as the Allied forces were advancing.  Much of the art had been plundered by the Nazis.  The Department of the Army put together a traveling exhibit that came to select museums in the United States.  When I was a kid I was lucky enough to be selected by my school to study at the Chicago Art Institute, which I did every weekend in 1948-49.  So I saw the exhibit numerous times.  I even bought a copy of the 113 page catalogue.  Although where I got the $.50 to do that I will never know.  I just found the old catalogue among my art books.  I looked it up on Amazon.  It is now worth the princely sum of $.95.  No matter.  The memories are priceless.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Monuments Men
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 29, 2014, 09:06:22 PM
I am anxious to see this movie.  American soldiers found art that the Nazis had "salted away"  (bad pun) in salt mines as the Allied forces were advancing.  Much of the art had been plundered by the Nazis.  The Department of the Army put together a traveling exhibit that came to select museums in the United States.  When I was a kid I was lucky enough to be selected by my school to study at the Chicago Art Institute, which I did every weekend in 1948-49.  So I saw the exhibit numerous times.  I even bought a copy of the 113 page catalogue.  Although where I got the $.50 to do that I will never know.  I just found the old catalogue among my art books.  I looked it up on Amazon.  It is now worth the princely sum of $.95.  No matter.  The memories are priceless.

This looks like one of those sharp-looking films with an ensemble cast and the potential to be either fairly decent or totally unwatchable.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 30, 2014, 10:02:17 AM

This looks like one of those sharp-looking films with an ensemble cast and the potential to be either fairly decent or totally unwatchable.

The trailer makes it look kind of like the WWII version of "Three Kings".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 30, 2014, 10:07:12 AM

I can nearly guaranty that the phrase "Ocean's 11 meets Inglorious Bastards" was uttered at the pitch meeting.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on January 30, 2014, 10:36:32 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 30, 2014, 10:07:12 AM

I can nearly guaranty that the phrase "Ocean's 11 meets Inglorious Bastards" was uttered at the pitch meeting.

I didn't realize Clooney co-wrote and directed this thing. It's getting shit reviews. I can't wait to miss it. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
Quite a disappointment.  It is not a horrible movie, but it is "Ocean's Eleven Go To War."  Clooney will get no Academy Award nominations for direction or adapted screen play for this one.  This movie couldn't make up its mind as to whether it was a comedy, an action movie, or a melodrama.  Too bad. I really wanted to like this one.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
Save your money and just watch Jimmy Kimmel rip on Matt Damon during an interview of the main cast.  Since I never watch Kimmel, I'm not tired of this bit yet.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?