News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 78,354 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 04, 2013, 08:00:50 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 04, 2013, 12:10:32 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 03, 2013, 07:44:24 PM
Quote from: Shooter on July 03, 2013, 07:37:37 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 03, 2013, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 03, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
*unfurls nascent Pedro Strop boner*

Important: Is it Strop as in stop, or Strop as in trope? I have some hilarious novelty t-shirts to make. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN!

That one

STROP AND CHANGE: YES WE CAN!

ABANDON ALL STROP

WHITE PUNKS ON STROP

UP WITH STROP DOWN WITH STROP
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 04, 2013, 08:51:23 AM

Important: Is it Strop as in stop, or Strop as in trope? I have some hilarious novelty t-shirts to make. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN!

That one

ABANDON ALL STROP

WHITE PUNKS ON STROP

Strop was razor sharp in his one inning today.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 04, 2013, 08:51:23 AM

That one

ABANDON ALL STROP

WHITE PUNKS ON STROP

GET UP FOR THE DOWNSTROP, EVERYBODY GET UP!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »
Couldn't post this from my phone since Fox Sports has the worst mobile site in the world -- can't copy and paste text, impossible to find Ken Rosenthal's columns without a Google search, once you do find it the entire column is formatted as one monstrous paragraph of text -- which isn't a surprise because MSN.  I went back to take a screenshot and the formatting had been fixed, but the rest stands.

Anyway.  A.J. Ellis is a believer:

QuoteSeveral Dodgers hitters, at least, think the Cubs did quite well to acquire right-hander Jake Arrieta, who arrived from the Orioles along with reliever Pedro Strop in a trade for right-hander Scott Feldman last week.

The Dodgers faced Arrieta on April 21 at Camden Yards, and a number of their players said his stuff was comparable to that of Mets righty Matt Harvey, whom they saw three days later at Citi Field.

Arrieta turned in one of his typical major-league outings, pitching four strong innings before imploding in the fifth. But almost three months later, the Dodgers are still talking about him.

“The stuff he threw up at me was stuff I haven’t seen all year – the sharpness of his pitches, the way his fastball darted out of the zone,” catcher A.J. Ellis said. “He has really high upside. I thought it was an awesome trade by the Cubs.”

Arrieta threw 93 to 98 mph with a 90-mph cutter in his first outing at Triple A for the Cubs on Friday night; the game was suspended in the second inning due to rain. If he fails as a starter, the Cubs could always try him as a hard-throwing reliever.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
DPD. I hope there's truth to the rumor that St. Louis is in on Garza. Poaching some guys from that farm system would be a great return. Get it done Epstink!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
TPD.  DOOM!

Quote6:41pm: The prospective swap of Garza to Rangers has  "hit a snag" and is no longer a certainty, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. He says that the Cubs are looking to alternative trade partners while continuing to work things out with Texas.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
QPD?  Boner time for Chuck:

QuoteAlfonso Soriano of the Cubs is on the Yankees' radar as a possible trade target, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. If any deal were to take place, though, it might not happen in July, since the $25MM remaining on Soriano's contract means he's sure to pass through waivers in August. Soriano has a full no-trade clause, but says he will consider a trade to a contending team. Wittenmyer writes that the Yankees view another Cubs outfielder, Nate Schierholtz, as more of a platoon type.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 21, 2013, 11:57:53 PM
QPD?  Boner time for Chuck:

QuoteAlfonso Soriano of the Cubs is on the Yankees' radar as a possible trade target, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. If any deal were to take place, though, it might not happen in July, since the $25MM remaining on Soriano's contract means he's sure to pass through waivers in August. Soriano has a full no-trade clause, but says he will consider a trade to a contending team. Wittenmyer writes that the Yankees view another Cubs outfielder, Nate Schierholtz, as more of a platoon type.

Soriano for Cano, straight up!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Per Jeff Passan, Matt Garza is a Ranger.   (Edit: Looks like Ken Rosenthal had it first on Twitter, which MLBTR had in a separate post, but Passan had part of the Cubs' return first.  If you care about that kind of thing.)

Cubs get:
3B Mike Olt (Rangers' #1 prospect according to MLB.com since Profar graduated)
SP C.J. Edwards (#15)
SP Justin Grimm (who hasn't made it through five innings since June)
PTBNL
PTBNL (according to T.R. Sullivan, the Cubs are actually getting two players TBNL, contrary to previous reports -- I wonder if Neil Ramirez might be one of them)

Rangers get:
SP Matt Garza

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 22, 2013, 04:20:14 PM
Per Jeff Passan, Matt Garza is a Ranger.   (Edit: Looks like Ken Rosenthal had it first on Twitter, which MLBTR had in a separate post, but Passan had part of the Cubs' return first.  If you care about that kind of thing.)

Cubs get:
SP C.J. Edwards (#15)
PTBNL

Rangers get:
SP Matt Garza

Olt has a .213 BA.  Edwards is 6'2" and weighs 155!   Grimm has given up 45 earned runs in 48 innings (8.32).   Looks like we got top dollar for our best trading chip. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 22, 2013, 05:03:49 PM

Cubs get:
SP C.J. Edwards (#15)
PTBNL

Rangers get:
SP Matt Garza

Olt has a .213 BA.  Edwards is 6'2" and weighs 155!   Grimm has given up 45 earned runs in 48 innings (8.32).   Looks like we got top dollar for our best trading chip. 

Olt hit .288/.398/.579 with 28 HR in 354 ABs just last year. Edwards has given up 19 ER in 93.1 innings (on 62 hits and 34 walks and 0 HR) this year. Grimm is 6'3 200lbs and is due to have a few bad bounces go his way.

I dig this trade.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 22, 2013, 05:19:24 PM

Cubs get:
SP C.J. Edwards (#15)
PTBNL

Rangers get:
SP Matt Garza

Olt hit .288/.398/.579 with 28 HR in 354 ABs just last year. Edwards has given up 19 ER in 93.1 innings (on 62 hits and 34 walks and 0 HR) this year. Grimm is 6'3 200lbs and is due to have a few bad bounces go his way.

I dig this trade.

Not only this year.  Edwards has never given up a homer as a professional pitcher.  He'll give one up eventually, but still.  And a career SO/9 of 11.6.  He's about as legit as a prospect can be at that (admittedly low) level of competition.

Here's video from Lone Star Dugout.  Also tweeted by Dan Underscore Bernstein.  Fastball consistently in low 90s, peaked at 95.  Curveball looks sick.  Some trouble with location, especially the change, but it's from last year at rookie ball.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 22, 2013, 05:21:43 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 22, 2013, 05:19:24 PM

Cubs get:
SP C.J. Edwards (#15)
PTBNL

Rangers get:
SP Matt Garza

I dig this trade.

Not only this year.  Edwards has never given up a homer as a professional pitcher.  He'll give one up eventually, but still.  And a career SO/9 of 11.6.  He's about as legit as a prospect can be at that (admittedly low) level of competition.

Here's video from Lone Star Dugout.  Also tweeted by Dan Underscore Bernstein.  Fastball consistently in low 90s, peaked at 95.  Curveball looks sick.  Some trouble with location, especially the change, but it's from last year at rookie ball.

From that video he appears to be a lot bigger than 155 lbs.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
Alright, on the PTBNL thing, from reports summarized at Bleacher Nation, it's one PTBNL if the Cubs choose Ramirez, but if his medicals scare them off they get two PTBNL, both pitchers.  Pretty good return for two or three months of Garza.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
I would have this trade's baby. Is there anyone left in the Texas system that Hoyer can get for Gregg?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16