News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The "What If I Need a Lawyer" bell  ( 1,667 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The "What If I Need a Lawyer" bell
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »
Former WSCR-AM host Mike Murphy sues CBS Radio.

Yeah, this will get him work.

===============

An excerpt from his agreement included in the lawsuit says that he was not to enter into any agreements within 50 miles of the station unless he first offered his services under similar terms to the CBS station.

CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo declined to comment.

The lawsuit was filed as a class action on behalf of all Illinois CBS broadcast employees with such covenants working at the station since Jan. 1, 2002.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The "What If I Need a Lawyer" bell
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 04, 2010, 08:15:55 AM

===============

An excerpt from his agreement included in the lawsuit says that he was not to enter into any agreements within 50 miles of the station unless he first offered his services under similar terms to the CBS station.

The lawsuit was filed as a class action on behalf of all Illinois CBS broadcast employees with such covenants working at the station since Jan. 1, 2002.

Non-compete agreements are illegal in Illinois?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 04, 2010, 08:43:39 AM

===============

Short answer, Nope.  Slightly longer answer, so long as they are reasonablely tailored as to scope and length, don't prohibit the employee from seeking gainful employment  (because forcing people on unemployment is against public policy), and have a reasonable business purpose, non competes are generally legal in Illinois.  This one, which basically keeps Murph out of the Chicago AM market, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I predict.... that this suit isn't going anywhere.  If I advised WSCR, however, I'd tell them to settle, as having Murph as competition would be far better from their perspective than just about anyone else.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
They're just going to have to reach into Abbey's old drawyers for the answer.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 04, 2010, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: Yeti on June 04, 2010, 08:43:39 AM

===============

Short answer, Nope.  Slightly longer answer, so long as they are reasonablely tailored as to scope and length, don't prohibit the employee from seeking gainful employment  (because forcing people on unemployment is against public policy), and have a reasonable business purpose, non competes are generally legal in Illinois.  This one, which basically keeps Murph out of the Chicago AM market, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I predict.... that this suit isn't going anywhere.  If I advised WSCR, however, I'd tell them to settle, as having Murph as competition would be far better from their perspective than just about anyone else.

This doesn't even keep him off the air. It's a right of first-refusal. If Sam Zell takes another hit from the crack pipe and decides to put him on the WGN drive time slot, the Score could match the offer and put him on the Score.