News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,371 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #675 on: July 30, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Not finalized yet, but widely reported that the Cubs and Tigers have reached a deal for catcher Alex Avila and a pitcher named Justin ... Wilson. Jeimer and Isaac Paredes heading to Detroit along with cash or a PTBNL.

That's probably it for the deadline, unless they decide to move major league pieces.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #676 on: July 31, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 30, 2017, 11:17:54 PM
Not finalized yet, but widely reported that the Cubs and Tigers have reached a deal for catcher Alex Avila and a pitcher named Justin ... Wilson. Jeimer and Isaac Paredes heading to Detroit along with cash or a PTBNL.

That's probably it for the deadline, unless they decide to move major league pieces.

I honestly am still not going to rule out Verlander, even in August since that contract will definitely pass waivers, because Detroit is eventually going to have to accept that no one is eating that full contract and they won't get any major prospects from it.

That said if this is all they get, sweet. I'll begrudgingly admit that if Lackey has re-discovered an extra couple miles on his fastball like yesterday he'll be serviceable the rest of the way, Kyle has looked effective even w the diminishing velocity, and adding Wilson to an already stellar pen means Joe could pull any struggling starters after just 3 or so innings and roll with Montgomery for a couple innings followed by Strop/Rondon, Uehara, Carl, Wilson, Davis.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #677 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »
Wilson's also under control for next year.

This is a fucking heist.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #678 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »
Does Wilson constitute as a the "Miller-type" I was speculating that Theo would pursue?
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #679 on: July 31, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2017, 08:19:24 AM
Does Wilson constitute as a the "Miller-type" I was speculating that Theo would pursue?

Not really. He's only gone more than one inning twice all season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #680 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
Stu?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #681 on: July 31, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 31, 2017, 08:33:30 AM

I mean, sure, he's a very good left handed reliever, but if you want to call all of those Andrew Miller that's about akin to Fork calling Tommy La Stella a "Zobrist-lite".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #682 on: July 31, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »

The whole constitute as a the?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #683 on: July 31, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »

Before he'd been traded to Cleveland last year, Miller had pitched 45.1 innings in 44 games. Even last year, in the regular season, he only pitched 3 more innings than games he'd appeared in. It wasn't until the playoffs that he began to be used in an unconventional way, which has spilled over into the new season where, this year, he's thrown 53.1 innings in 45 appearances. Miller was always a well-known amazing set up man/closer, but the unconventional way that he gets used is still pretty new for him. I bet that the Cubs will try to use Wilson in a similar way to how Cleveland now uses Miller, assuming he steps up and can handle the workload, and high leverage situations.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #684 on: July 31, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2017, 10:37:49 AM

Before he'd been traded to Cleveland last year, Miller had pitched 45.1 innings in 44 games. Even last year, in the regular season, he only pitched 3 more innings than games he'd appeared in. It wasn't until the playoffs that he began to be used in an unconventional way, which has spilled over into the new season where, this year, he's thrown 53.1 innings in 45 appearances. Miller was always a well-known amazing set up man/closer, but the unconventional way that he gets used is still pretty new for him. I bet that the Cubs will try to use Wilson in a similar way to how Cleveland now uses Miller, assuming he steps up and can handle the workload, and high leverage situations.

Is this just because you really want to be right on the internet, or is there some indication besides Miller = lefty, Wilson = lefty, therefore Wilson = Miller that this is what the Cubs have in mind?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #685 on: July 31, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 31, 2017, 10:48:29 AM

Is this just because you really want to be right on the internet, or is there some indication besides Miller = lefty, Wilson = lefty, therefore Wilson = Miller that this is what the Cubs have in mind?

I mean Wilson has basically no platoon splits this year, could probably handle that role, there's also no reason for the Cubs to stretch him out like that with a bullpen that already ranked 2nd in the NL before this trade. Could we see him do that sh-t in October? Yeah, but I doubt Joe would feel the need to ask him to go more than one inning right now, when Mike Montgomery is a thing that exists.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #686 on: July 31, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

See what happens when you use (the equivalent of) "might" and "could"?  Happy, Eli?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #687 on: July 31, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #688 on: July 31, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
The Brewers are getting Jeremy Jeffress back from Texas. Wrong: righted.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #689 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »
Sonny Gray: A Yankee.