News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,352 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 06, 2015, 04:04:21 PM
Go have fun here. FuzzBeadEli point this out a few weeks ago. Castro has been bad for a while.  This link covers the last 4 years.  Even if you exclude this year and only do 2012-2014 (two of three years good) he's still 15th in WAR among qualified SS.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

I realize I'm saying Chuck is right by saying I'm right, but those numbers aren't pretty for Castro. Even if you put in the absolute most favorable filtering for him of 2011-2014 (and I don't know why you'd cherry-pick things that way) he's 16th out of 30th shortshops in offensive WAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=1000&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:29 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 06, 2015, 04:14:53 PM
Go have fun here. FuzzBeadEli point this out a few weeks ago. Castro has been bad for a while.  This link covers the last 4 years.  Even if you exclude this year and only do 2012-2014 (two of three years good) he's still 15th in WAR among qualified SS.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

I realize I'm saying Chuck is right by saying I'm right, but those numbers aren't pretty for Castro. Even if you put in the absolute most favorable filtering for him of 2011-2014 (and I don't know why you'd cherry-pick things that way) he's 16th out of 30th shortshops in offensive WAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=1000&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Yes, but trading him is out of the question, how dare anyone suggest that.

Then again they probably wouldn't be able to get much for him the way he's hitting anyway.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »

Also batting him second to fix him is a terrible idea. Lineup protection has been proven time and again to be a myth so all you'd be doing is asking the guy who makes the most outs on the team to make them in front of Rizzo and Bryant.  No thanks.

6 is best for him. 5 is more of a run producing spot and at 7 ahead of the pitcher I doubt he'd be patient enough to walk a lot when pitchers pitch around him. Fowler might,  though.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
God damnit, Starlin.  We had such high hopes for you.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 06, 2015, 04:33:51 PM

Also batting him second to fix him is a terrible idea. Lineup protection has been proven time and again to be a myth so all you'd be doing is asking the guy who makes the most outs on the team to make them in front of Rizzo and Bryant.  No thanks.

6 is best for him. 5 is more of a run producing spot and at 7 ahead of the pitcher I doubt he'd be patient enough to walk a lot when pitchers pitch around him. Fowler might,  though.

Or maybe start hitting the pitcher 9th like Jesus intended and bat Starlin 7th.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »
For some reason it's news that the Cubs have the money to add players.

Quote"There are financial resources if [president of baseball operations] Theo [Epstein] needs money to make a deal," said Crane Kenney. "No one I trust more to figure out what to do [than] Theo and [GM] Jed [Hoyer]."

So cute how Crane thinks he's Theo's boss.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 07, 2015, 06:40:30 PM

Quote"There are financial resources if [president of baseball operations] Theo [Epstein] needs money to make a deal," said Crane Kenney. "No one I trust more to figure out what to do [than] Theo and [GM] Jed [Hoyer]."

I'd love to be a fly on the wall any time Theo has to listen to Crane.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 08, 2015, 08:21:17 AM

You'd be alone a long time.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »

And Gordo naturally took those comments to mean there's no flexibility.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 08, 2015, 09:05:45 AM

I'll say it again: what does the Sun Times gain by having a beat writer who appears to be despised by

1)The team he covers and needs access to
2) The fans who have to read him and hate his bullshit agenda
3) From what I gather, other beat writers ?

This is not a winning strategem IMO. Is this a Mariotti/Skip Bayless thing? Do they think he's so incendiary he draws in readers who read him just to get their hate boners on?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2015, 08:57:44 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 08, 2015, 08:21:17 AM

You'd be alone a long time.

The only question is if Theo does his wanking motion lefty or righty.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 08, 2015, 09:05:45 AM

I'll say it again: what does the Sun Times gain by having a beat writer who appears to be despised by

1)The team he covers and needs access to
2) The fans who have to read him and hate his bullshit agenda
3) From what I gather, other beat writers ?

This is not a winning strategem IMO. Is this a Mariotti/Skip Bayless thing? Do they think he's so incendiary he draws in readers who read him just to get their hate boners on?

In terms of being incendiary, Wittenmyer isn't even in the same ballpark as Mariotti.  He's not even good at being bad.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »

I don't really see how that shows Crane thinks he's Theo's boss. He's the president of business operations, right? That would mean he would have control over payroll considerations. Not necessarily what players are on the team, but "Hey, Theo, we can go up to x million in payroll" or if Theo was looking at trade possibilities and he asked Crane "Hey, kind of flexibility do I have with the payroll this year?"... And I'm pretty sure that's what he said there.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 08, 2015, 10:31:50 AM

I don't really see how that shows Crane thinks he's Theo's boss. He's the president of business operations, right? That would mean he would have control over payroll considerations. Not necessarily what players are on the team, but "Hey, Theo, we can go up to x million in payroll" or if Theo was looking at trade possibilities and he asked Crane "Hey, kind of flexibility do I have with the payroll this year?"... And I'm pretty sure that's what he said there.

And they probably both know what they were told by Tom Ricketts and when they go ask him for stuff they probably need to be on the same page. Crane may be a pudwhack but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said here.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 08, 2015, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 08, 2015, 10:31:50 AM

And they probably both know what they were told by Tom Ricketts and when they go ask him for stuff they probably need to be on the same page. Crane may be a pudwhack but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said here.

He exists and therefore Chuck has to bitch about him.