News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 65,490 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »

Gotta love Joe sending Strop out with a 5-run lead to see if his Cardinals jitters go away.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
Raise a shot and a beer to this guy, who was talking about making the playoffs this season from the second he took the job.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
A team that barely bunted all year has now become the first team in the history of baseball to squeeze bunt twice in a postseason game. Not just two in a row, but to do it twice in the same game at all. Joe is one crazy mofo.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 11, 2015, 12:52:33 AM
A team that barely bunted all year has now become the first team in the history of baseball to squeeze bunt twice in a postseason game. Not just two in a row, but to do it twice in the same game at all. Joe is one crazy mofo.

Joe is taking great pleasure in turning Metheny's brain from tapioca to burnt tapioca.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
Manager of the Damn Year. I assume all these awards can be traded in for the World Series next year, yes?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 17, 2015, 07:23:44 PM
Manager of the Damn Year. I assume all these awards can be traded in for the World Series next year, yes?

I think that for Reasonable Trade Value Discussion purposes, MOY+ROY+Cy=World Series.  Don't let us down Jake.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 18, 2015, 10:52:36 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 17, 2015, 07:23:44 PM

I think that for Reasonable Trade Value Discussion purposes, MOY+ROY+Cy=World Series.  Don't let us down Jake.

The 1984 team had MOY+Cy+MVP and they didn't trade them for squat. Greenstink was terrible.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Pulling Hendricks despite a masterful five innings (knowing the third time through the order was coming up anyway) and pinch hitting his best contact hitter on the bench in La Stella with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 5th was some good, proactive managin'
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2016, 09:12:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 27, 2016, 08:32:35 AM
Pulling Hendricks despite a masterful five innings (knowing the third time through the order was coming up anyway) and pinch hitting his best contact hitter on the bench in La Stella with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 5th was some good, proactive managin'

Yes.  Nice to get a real true taste of Adam Warren's value as well.  I mean, I know he's been solid all year, but yesterday was the outing I envisioned when we got him--at least until Hammel begins to shit the tub when the calendar hits July.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 27, 2016, 09:12:26 AM

Yes.  Nice to get a real true taste of Adam Warren's value as well.  I mean, I know he's been solid all year, but yesterday was the outing I envisioned when we got him--at least until Hammel begins to shit the tub when the calendar hits July.

I wondered why we didn't see him until the 5th game of the year. Then I either read some speculation, or heard JD talk about it, but the thought was that Maddon would basically set up Warren's usage around Hendricks starts. In other words, you know you always want Warren available for 2 innings for a Hendricks start, and you work backwards from there. If that is indeed what they're doing, I think it's a pretty damn clever way to maximize the value you get out of both Warren and Hendricks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 27, 2016, 10:28:39 AM

I wondered why we didn't see him until the 5th game of the year. Then I either read some speculation, or heard JD talk about it, but the thought was that Maddon would basically set up Warren's usage around Hendricks starts. In other words, you know you always want Warren available for 2 innings for a Hendricks start, and you work backwards from there. If that is indeed what they're doing, I think it's a pretty damn clever way to maximize the value you get out of both Warren and Hendricks.

I suggested this strategy for the artist formerly known as CJ Edwards last year as a caddy for Wada or Hendricks, since Edwards was mostly being used for multi-inning relief outings in the minors. Pen melted down and said something about how CJ should basically be the closer for all eternity cuz he's super good and not a guy rotting in Iowa due to a continued inability to throw strikes.

This is only tangentially related to the Warren/Hendricks handcuff, but I wanted to point out that Penis wrong again.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 27, 2016, 10:36:35 AM

I suggested this strategy for the artist formerly known as CJ Edwards last year as a caddy for Wada or Hendricks, since Edwards was mostly being used for multi-inning relief outings in the minors. Pen melted down and said something about how CJ should basically be the closer for all eternity cuz he's super good and not a guy rotting in Iowa due to a continued inability to throw strikes.

This is only tangentially related to the Warren/Hendricks handcuff, but I wanted to point out that Penis wrong again.

I just want to see lots of CJ Edwards.  But not now, this bullpen is tits and they shouldn't do anything to change it.

But someday, it's gonna be a whole lotta CJ. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:47 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 27, 2016, 10:39:08 AM

I just want to see lots of CJ Edwards.  But not now, this bullpen is tits and they shouldn't do anything to change it.

But someday, it's gonna be a whole lotta CJ. 

Not if he keeps walking one guy every inning he pitches.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »

The other nice thing about this is that if Warren is mostly use for 2-3 innings at a time that hopefully means it's easier to stretch him out as a starter if someone gets hurt or Hammel does the whole Second Half Hammel thing again.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

I argued with you about that too. I didn't feel their bullpen was deep enough or good enough to get so cute at the time. Maybe I was wrong. I think it's good enough to do what they seem to be doing with Warren now, mostly because Joe says so.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.