News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Rogers' time machine  ( 28,178 )

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Phil Rogers' time machine
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 27, 2009, 03:08:26 PM
Also, in order to be historically accurate, Don Baylor would deserve more of the blame than Baker in the handling of Patterson.  Baylor and Ed Lynch could not wait to get Patterson up to the bigs--Lynch to prove that his farm system didn't suck balls, and Baylor for gord-only-knows-what-reason--during the 2000 Spring Training, and their exuberance only engendered Korey's sense of entitlement, which led to him turning into a stubborn motherfucker who was unable to deal with failure when it arose later in the 2000 season and every season thereafter.  And even though Patterson struggled for the first time in his life during the 2000 season at West Tenn (he got off to a hot start at Rookie Ball, Low-A and the Arizona Fall League which is what had Baseball America drooling over him for a couple years), the Cubs went against any good judgement they may have had and still called him up in September.  And, instead of sending him back to West Tenn for the 2001 season, they let him start at Iowa, where he struggled again and AGAIN they called him up to the bigs.

By the time Baker got his retarded hands on him, Patterson was an underdone prospect that had repeatedly gotten undeserved promotions.   Baker merely put the finishing touches on him.

I'm not saying Patteson would have been a good player had he been in an organization that knew what the hell it was doing but, in retrospect, he really had no chance whatsoever considering the clown college that was in charge when he came up.
Intrepid Readers Tank, CT, and/or Gil Gunderson: I'd thank you not to refer to Princeton that way.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 27, 2009, 03:22:36 PM
Also, in order to be historically accurate, Don Baylor would deserve more of the blame than Baker in the handling of Patterson.  Baylor and Ed Lynch could not wait to get Patterson up to the bigs--Lynch to prove that his farm system didn't suck balls, and Baylor for gord-only-knows-what-reason--during the 2000 Spring Training, and their exuberance only engendered Korey's sense of entitlement, which led to him turning into a stubborn motherfucker who was unable to deal with failure when it arose later in the 2000 season and every season thereafter.  And even though Patterson struggled for the first time in his life during the 2000 season at West Tenn (he got off to a hot start at Rookie Ball, Low-A and the Arizona Fall League which is what had Baseball America drooling over him for a couple years), the Cubs went against any good judgement they may have had and still called him up in September.  And, instead of sending him back to West Tenn for the 2001 season, they let him start at Iowa, where he struggled again and AGAIN they called him up to the bigs.

By the time Baker got his retarded hands on him, Patterson was an underdone prospect that had repeatedly gotten undeserved promotions.   Baker merely put the finishing touches on him.

I'm not saying Patteson would have been a good player had he been in an organization that knew what the hell it was doing but, in retrospect, he really had no chance whatsoever considering the clown college that was in charge when he came up.
Intrepid Readers Tank, CT, and/or Gil Gunderson: I'd thank you not to refer to Princeton that way.

My bit!  YOU STOLE MY BIT! [smashes the original Jon's head into the pavement, killing him]

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 27, 2009, 04:13:57 PM

My bit!  YOU STOLE MY BIT! [smashes the original Jon's head into the pavement, killing him]

Cecil, no civilization in history has ever considered chief hydrological engineer a calling.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 27, 2009, 04:13:57 PM

Thank god I'm an orphan owned by the Shoutbox.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
JOn's the Original Alfalfa?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 01:24:58 AM »
Quote from: MAD on February 27, 2009, 05:26:01 PM

You're awful at this.  Just bloody awful.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 28, 2009, 01:24:58 AM
Quote from: MAD on February 27, 2009, 05:26:01 PM

You're awful at this.  Just bloody awful.

And THAT is why I only listed Tank, Gil, and CT.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
What is this not-so-subtle shit from Phil in the 3/28 Tribune?:

FT. LAUDERDALE — There's no blinking neon sign above the Baltimore Orioles' clubhouse door, certainly not one saying what newcomers must think when they walk inside.

But the atmosphere is different from that in most other places around baseball, especially ones where contributing to a playoff team is part of the bargain. To go from a Cubs team run by Lou Piniella to an Orioles team run by Dave Trembley guarantees culture shock.

...The onus remains on Hill, just like it remains on Pie. But with the Orioles looking at a 12th consecutive losing season, a baseball game can just be a baseball game. It's been a while since it didn't feel like something else at Wrigley Field.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on March 30, 2009, 10:14:29 AM

FT. LAUDERDALE — There's no blinking neon sign above the Baltimore Orioles' clubhouse door, certainly not one saying what newcomers must think when they walk inside.

But the atmosphere is different from that in most other places around baseball, especially ones where contributing to a playoff team is part of the bargain. To go from a Cubs team run by Lou Piniella to an Orioles team run by Dave Trembley guarantees culture shock.

...The onus remains on Hill, just like it remains on Pie. But with the Orioles looking at a 12th consecutive losing season, a baseball game can just be a baseball game. It's been a while since it didn't feel like something else at Wrigley Field.

Am I dumb if I don't understand the "main idea" of this passage?  Was I left behind as a child?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on March 30, 2009, 10:53:16 AM

Am I dumb if I don't understand the "main idea" of this passage?  Was I left behind as a child?

I don't get what he's trying to say either; I actually feel more intelligent for it.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »
Quote from: powen01 on March 30, 2009, 10:55:31 AM

I don't get what he's trying to say either; I actually feel more intelligent for it.

I took it to mean that Lou was a big meanie to Rich and Felix.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on March 30, 2009, 11:21:25 AM
Quote from: powen01 on March 30, 2009, 10:55:31 AM

I took it to mean that Lou was a big meanie to Rich and Felix.

I take it to mean that Phil is a horrible writer.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
I interpreted to mean that the Orioles are a more laid-back organization that Phil thinks is more conducive for players like Hill and Pie to develop in. Less pressure and less attention.

I don't agree with that, but I think it's Phil's way of jabbing the Cubs and it doesn't work.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on March 30, 2009, 11:35:53 AM
I interpreted to mean that the Orioles are a more laid-back organization that Phil thinks is more conducive for players like Hill and Pie to develop in. Less pressure and less attention.

I don't agree with that, but I think it's Phil's way of jabbing the Cubs and it doesn't work.

Does anyone have Gally's stats since he was traded to the Orioles?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on March 30, 2009, 11:35:53 AM

Then Spring Training with the Orioles must be even LESS pressure-packed, so I bet these guys are kicking ass!

Pie:  .216./.281/.314, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 10 K, 5 BB
Hill:  0.00 ERA!
Hire Jim Essian!