News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Will Joe Paterno AND Penn State Football Both Die in 2012?  ( 19,532 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Will Joe Paterno AND Penn State Football Both Die in 2012?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 13, 2012, 08:28:14 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2012, 07:55:00 PM
Quote from: Shooter on July 13, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2012, 12:21:35 PM
(TPD)

Quote from: Fork on July 13, 2012, 09:24:36 AMAs i said earlier:

QuoteBesides, both the NCAA and Big 10 have too large a vested interest in Penn State.

How much of a vested interest does the NCAA really have in a neutered Penn State that's lost its legendary head coach and that can't recruit worth shit? Honest question.

According to ESPN, Penn State 2013 class in #14 in the NCAA -- better than recent efforts. Granted all of those players committed before the Freeh report came out, but is there much in the report that was shocking enough to change the mind of someone, given what was known before the report?

Seriously, that's a pretty fucking disheartening fact, not just because the kids have stayed the course since the verdict, or even the indictment, but because recruiters from other schools weren't able to poach the shit out of them.  How hard would that have been?

Dude you're still planning on going to Penn State?  Seriously?  

*sighs*

Look--I gotta be honest.  And  this is for your sake--you do what you think is best, of course.  But you need to look out for yourself and I'm concerned--I'm just saying this for your sake--I'm just concerned for you that you're not looking out for yourself.  Okay?

Look--if that thing gets worse over there, and you still haven't begun to make other plans, you can realistically miss out totally--and I'm not talking about here, at our school.  How many slots do you really think are available right now for next Fall? You're going to be playing fucking Division III while half your incoming class at Penn State will be on TV every Saturday, playing for other D-1 schools, laughing at you.  

Think about it and call me if you want, man. I really hope you make the right call, for your sake.  You're a good kid and I like you. Good luck either way.  I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Granted, if that shit was recorded Bruce Pearl-style, maybe it's not kosher.  It's certainly manipulative--but isn't that a recruiter's job?  How have kids not begun to defect since last Fall?  I'm honestly wondering.

You missed the part about how many black people live in DeKalb. I'm guessing a handful.

True story:  When I was roaming the streets of DeKalb as an undegrad, there existed...another Huey...and he was black.  We got to know each other a little, but probably wouldn't have at all had it not been for that similarity.  Word.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
(TPD)

QuoteBesides, both the NCAA and Big 10 have too large a vested interest in Penn State.

How much of a vested interest does the NCAA really have in a neutered Penn State that's lost its legendary head coach and that can't recruit worth shit? Honest question.

According to ESPN, Penn State 2013 class in #14 in the NCAA -- better than recent efforts. Granted all of those players committed before the Freeh report came out, but is there much in the report that was shocking enough to change the mind of someone, given what was known before the report?

Seriously, that's a pretty fucking disheartening fact, not just because the kids have stayed the course since the verdict, or even the indictment, but because recruiters from other schools weren't able to poach the shit out of them.  How hard would that have been?

Dude you're still planning on going to Penn State?  Seriously? 

*sighs*

Look--I gotta be honest.  And  this is for your sake--you do what you think is best, of course.  But you need to look out for yourself and I'm concerned--I'm just saying this for your sake--I'm just concerned for you that you're not looking out for yourself.  Okay?

Look--if that thing gets worse over there, and you still haven't begun to make other plans, you can realistically miss out totally--and I'm not talking about here, at our school.  How many slots do you really think are available right now for next Fall? You're going to be playing fucking Division III while half your incoming class at Penn State will be on TV every Saturday, playing for other D-1 schools, laughing at you. 

Think about it and call me if you want, man. I really hope you make the right call, for your sake.  You're a good kid and I like you. Good luck either way.  I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Granted, if that shit was recorded Bruce Pearl-style, maybe it's not kosher.  It's certainly manipulative--but isn't that a recruiter's job?  How have kids not begun to defect since last Fall?  I'm honestly wondering.

And the PSU recruiter would just counter with: "Hey, we're going to tear down the rape shower!"

http://deadspin.com/5925977/penn-state-to-renovate-showers-and-locker-room-where-assaults-took-place

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2012, 08:40:53 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 13, 2012, 08:28:14 PM
(TPD)

Seriously, that's a pretty fucking disheartening fact, not just because the kids have stayed the course since the verdict, or even the indictment, but because recruiters from other schools weren't able to poach the shit out of them.  How hard would that have been?

Dude you're still planning on going to Penn State?  Seriously?  

*sighs*

Look--I gotta be honest.  And  this is for your sake--you do what you think is best, of course.  But you need to look out for yourself and I'm concerned--I'm just saying this for your sake--I'm just concerned for you that you're not looking out for yourself.  Okay?

Look--if that thing gets worse over there, and you still haven't begun to make other plans, you can realistically miss out totally--and I'm not talking about here, at our school.  How many slots do you really think are available right now for next Fall? You're going to be playing fucking Division III while half your incoming class at Penn State will be on TV every Saturday, playing for other D-1 schools, laughing at you.  

Think about it and call me if you want, man. I really hope you make the right call, for your sake.  You're a good kid and I like you. Good luck either way.  I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Granted, if that shit was recorded Bruce Pearl-style, maybe it's not kosher.  It's certainly manipulative--but isn't that a recruiter's job?  How have kids not begun to defect since last Fall?  I'm honestly wondering.

You missed the part about how many black people live in DeKalb. I'm guessing a handful.

True story:  When I was roaming the streets of DeKalb as an undegrad, there existed...another Huey...and he was black.  We got to know each other a little, but probably wouldn't have at all had it not been for that similarity.  Word.

Was he cramming french fries into is mouth and screaming at his diminutive cohort to PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION!!!!?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
Graham Spanier may not have the cult of personality of Paterno,but it's becoming clear that he's going to be going away for a long long time.  If "failed leadership" were a criminal offense, he'd probably be up for the death penalty.  With Paterno already dead, I feel Spanier will suffice as far as an outlet for frustration goes.  I hope he dies a slow painful death--or a fast one involving a barbell and his rectum.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
DPD. 

I have no words.
In January 2011, Joe Paterno learned prosecutors were investigating his longtime assistant coach Jerry Sandusky for sexually assaulting young boys. Soon, Mr. Paterno had testified before a grand jury, and the rough outlines of what would become a giant scandal had been published in a local newspaper.

That same month, Mr. Paterno, the football coach at Penn State, began negotiating with his superiors to amend his contract, with the timing something of a surprise because the contract was not set to expire until the end of 2012, according to university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions. By August, Mr. Paterno and the university's president, both of whom were by then embroiled in the Sandusky investigation, had reached an agreement.

Mr. Paterno was to be paid $3 million at the end of the 2011 season if he agreed it would be his last. Interest-free loans totaling $350,000 that the university had made to Mr. Paterno over the years would be forgiven as part of the retirement package. He would also have the use of the university's private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family to use over the next 25 years.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 13, 2012, 08:13:44 AM
Quote from: CT III on July 12, 2012, 09:54:48 PM
Christ, Paterno was honestly going to let Sandusky KEEP HIS FUCKING JOB as long as JOEPA was still there, I guess because we could all rest easy knowing the Old Man was keeping an eye on Uncle Jer.

Well, according to Bill James, Paterno didn't do anything wrong.

QuoteThe Freeh reports states quite explicitly and at least six times (a) that the 1998 incident did NOT involve any criminal conduct—on the part of Sandusky or anyone else—and (b) that Paterno had forced the resignation of Sandusky before the 1998 incident occurred.

The 1998 incident was perceived AT THE TIME to involve no criminal conduct. The May 3, 1998 incident was very, very, very thoroughly investigated by at least four different agencies (University police, state police, and two different child welfare agencies), all four of which issued written reports stating that no criminal event had occurred. In retrospect, since the actions were part of a pattern of criminal conduct, it may be said that they were criminal conduct in and of themselves, but no one saw that at the time.

In any case, what EXACTLY is it that Paterno should have done? Fire him again? It is preposterous to argue, in my view, that PATERNO should have taken action after all of the people who were legally charged to take action had thoroughly examined the case and decided that no action was appropriate.

I'm off sabermetrics forever.

Well, this ought to clinch it:

http://deadspin.com/5926087/bill-james-showering-with-boys-was-quite-common-in-america-40-years-ago?comment=50982908

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »
Quote from: CT III on July 15, 2012, 06:59:30 PM
Christ, Paterno was honestly going to let Sandusky KEEP HIS FUCKING JOB as long as JOEPA was still there, I guess because we could all rest easy knowing the Old Man was keeping an eye on Uncle Jer.

QuoteThe Freeh reports states quite explicitly and at least six times (a) that the 1998 incident did NOT involve any criminal conduct—on the part of Sandusky or anyone else—and (b) that Paterno had forced the resignation of Sandusky before the 1998 incident occurred.

The 1998 incident was perceived AT THE TIME to involve no criminal conduct. The May 3, 1998 incident was very, very, very thoroughly investigated by at least four different agencies (University police, state police, and two different child welfare agencies), all four of which issued written reports stating that no criminal event had occurred. In retrospect, since the actions were part of a pattern of criminal conduct, it may be said that they were criminal conduct in and of themselves, but no one saw that at the time.

In any case, what EXACTLY is it that Paterno should have done? Fire him again? It is preposterous to argue, in my view, that PATERNO should have taken action after all of the people who were legally charged to take action had thoroughly examined the case and decided that no action was appropriate.

http://deadspin.com/5926087/bill-james-showering-with-boys-was-quite-common-in-america-40-years-ago?comment=50982908

This is just bewildering.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:25 AM »
Quote from: CT III on July 15, 2012, 06:59:30 PM

That's okay, Eli...

DERE'S PLENNY UH ROOM ON OUR BELOVED BANDWAGON.  ITS WHEELS ARE MEATBALLS.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
Finally, some Common Sense enters the conversation.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2012, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2012, 08:54:09 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 16, 2012, 07:22:14 AM

Finally, some =url=http://tominpaine.blogspot.com/2012/07/red-flags-and-personal-fouls-dishonest.html]Common Sense[/url] enters the conversation.

Fork is an intarweb wizard.

http://tominpaine.blogspot.com/2012/07/red-flags-and-personal-fouls-dishonest.html

DPD. The comments will also make your brain melt and drain through your earholes.

The comments are beyond, ... beyond ...  I can't even come up with a comparison.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 16, 2012, 09:34:53 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2012, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2012, 08:54:09 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 16, 2012, 07:22:14 AM

Finally, some =url=http://tominpaine.blogspot.com/2012/07/red-flags-and-personal-fouls-dishonest.html]Common Sense[/url] enters the conversation.

Fork is an intarweb wizard.

http://tominpaine.blogspot.com/2012/07/red-flags-and-personal-fouls-dishonest.html

DPD. The comments will also make your brain melt and drain through your earholes.

The comments are beyond, ... beyond ...  I can't even come up with a comparison.

Quote from: Caroline said...
Joe does not have "victims." Jerry Sandusky does. Case & point.

July 14, 2012 11:08 AM

Case & point!

Is that like "game, set and match"?  If that person's an alum*, then that's proof enough that they should just burn the whole school down.

*I doubt it's an alum

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Because if there's one thing this circus needed, it's a fourth ring.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.