News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,806 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #285 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 10, 2016, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on May 10, 2016, 09:24:34 AM
So, how much money should the Cubs spend on Arrieta?

It's not my money, except for the cash they collect in jersey, ticket, and concession purchases, but I wouldn't have a problem with Arrieta receiving a similar length and similar, if not slightly more, pay.

I'd be fine extending him until he's 35 or so. Not so excited to get into his later 30s with a huge contract.

On the other hand, for as awesome as the whole organization has become, the minor leagues are still pretty barren in terms of pitching talent. I don't know that there are more than 2-3 guys who have a reasonable shot at sticking in a rotation long-term. That might make them more eager to keep Arrieta around.

Simplified: pay Arrieta or pay some free agent. I think that makes the choice clear. Unless you think cobbling a rotation together behind this kind of offensive starpower while your window is wide open is a good idea. Hint - it isn't.

It's hard to envision a Cubs rotation without Lester and Arrieta at the top of it for the next 4-5 seasons barring injury. Filling in the rest will be a matter of how hard they lean on teams at each season's deadline/winter meetings. Lackey, Hammel, and Hendricks - I bet you can remove two of them by 2018 if not all three. One of Hammel/Hendricks could easily be replaced by August.

I guess what I'm saying is - they're going to sign Jake. I don't really see an alternative.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 10, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 08:28:31 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 10, 2016, 08:23:11 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 07:23:02 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 10, 2016, 05:15:28 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 09, 2016, 07:28:37 PM
Just got an MLB alert that Strasburg and the Nationals have agreed on a 7-year, $175MM extension. With him off the market does this change anything in the Arrieta negotiations/non-negotiations for the Cubs? I wonder if Strasburg might have been a top target for Theo and Jed. Obviously it doesn't make Jake any younger, but maybe they'd be more willing to come closer to the number of years he wants now.

Not sure Jed & Theo would ever go long and heavy on any starting pitcher that has Dusty's fingerprints on him.

But I can't imagine Boras not wanting to test the open market.

This is funny because Strasburg is a Boras client.

Yeah, but do you think Jake doesn't get at least 7/210 on the open market? That's a pretty big jump from Strasburg's deal.

Depends. Both have their knocks. Strasburg is younger than Arrieta, he's also had TJS. Arrieta is potentially less of an injury risk but then he's also going to be on the wrong side of 30 and has had only one full season.

I have no idea what the motivation is for Strasburg to sign that deal a mere 4 months ahead of free agency.  That seems weird.  But, he has two opt outs including the first one after his age-31 season, or the age Arrieta will be when he hits free agency.  I have no idea how the contract is structured but, assuming he rakes in a cool 75 mil and has the opportunity to hit free agency again at 31?  If Arrieta is good for 7/210, would Strasburg come close?  So, that would make it a 10-year/$285mm in earnings.  I don't think Arrieta is getting anywhere near that.

I guess, in other words, this is probably a bad comp for the Arrieta negotiations.

As much hand-wringing as there was at the time, maybe Strasburg has actually come to appreciate where the Nationals were coming from when they shut him down way back when to save his arm.

Can't think of too many reasons he'd sign this right now.

Unless he's fearful of going on the DL for the 7th time between now and the end of the season and hurting his value.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM
Just got an MLB alert that Strasburg and the Nationals have agreed on a 7-year, $175MM extension. With him off the market does this change anything in the Arrieta negotiations/non-negotiations for the Cubs? I wonder if Strasburg might have been a top target for Theo and Jed. Obviously it doesn't make Jake any younger, but maybe they'd be more willing to come closer to the number of years he wants now.

Not sure Jed & Theo would ever go long and heavy on any starting pitcher that has Dusty's fingerprints on him.

Yeah, but do you think Jake doesn't get at least 7/210 on the open market? That's a pretty big jump from Strasburg's deal.

Depends. Both have their knocks. Strasburg is younger than Arrieta, he's also had TJS. Arrieta is potentially less of an injury risk but then he's also going to be on the wrong side of 30 and has had only one full season.

I have no idea what the motivation is for Strasburg to sign that deal a mere 4 months ahead of free agency.  That seems weird.  But, he has two opt outs including the first one after his age-31 season, or the age Arrieta will be when he hits free agency.  I have no idea how the contract is structured but, assuming he rakes in a cool 75 mil and has the opportunity to hit free agency again at 31?  If Arrieta is good for 7/210, would Strasburg come close?  So, that would make it a 10-year/$285mm in earnings.  I don't think Arrieta is getting anywhere near that.

I guess, in other words, this is probably a bad comp for the Arrieta negotiations.

As much hand-wringing as there was at the time, maybe Strasburg has actually come to appreciate where the Nationals were coming from when they shut him down way back when to save his arm.

Unless he's fearful of going on the DL for the 7th time between now and the end of the season and hurting his value.

Maybe this really is a market-value contract for him.  I figure there are two ways to look at it:

1. He's worried about his health and wanted to security.
2. He's completely not worried about his health and wanted the chance to cash in in three years with the opt-out.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »

Stupidity?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 10, 2016, 11:33:46 AM

Maybe this really is a market-value contract for him.  I figure there are two ways to look at it:

2. He's completely not worried about his health and wanted the chance to cash in in three years with the opt-out.

I'm guessing the opt out was the clincher. If you're Strasburg and you know that you can still have a shot at a bigger deal three years from now if all goes well, or make 175 million even if your arm falls off tomorrow, you'd be dumb not to take that deal.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 11:35:55 AM

I'm guessing the opt out was the clincher. If you're Strasburg and you know that you can still have a shot at a bigger deal three years from now if all goes well, or make 175 million even if your arm falls off tomorrow, you'd be dumb not to take that deal.

Well, yeah.  Without the opt-out, he's easily worth the 7/210, right?  I'm guessing the opt-out is pretty much the only thing that got him to sign?

It's getting weird how fascinated I am about all this.  Boras client signs extension before hitting free agency, with two opt-outs...etc, etc.  This is great for me.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 10, 2016, 11:38:51 AM

Well, yeah.  Without the opt-out, he's easily worth the 7/210, right?  I'm guessing the opt-out is pretty much the only thing that got him to sign?

It's getting weird how fascinated I am about all this.  Boras client signs extension before hitting free agency, with two opt-outs...etc, etc.  This is great for me.

Are you hitting the open market soon?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

I'm not sure having the extra dough will help him security.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 10, 2016, 11:45:54 AM
Quote from: Oleg on May 10, 2016, 11:38:51 AM

Are you hitting the open market soon?

I'm perpetually on the open market.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
Boras is getting soft; quick, lock down all his Cubs clients for cheap!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
As many of you know, I have been a Cub fan since before Roy Smalley was sailing what should have been routine groundouts into the first base dugout.   I was a Cub fan when Hal Jeffcoat  was playing  right field, not pitching.  When I first became a Cub fan I was shorter than Peanuts Lowery.  This is the best Cub team in my lifetime of miserable Cub fanhood. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 11, 2016, 11:47:02 AM
As many of you know, I have been a Cub fan since before Roy Smalley was sailing what should have been routine groundouts into the first base dugout.   I was a Cub fan when Hal Jeffcoat  was playing  right field, not pitching.  When I first became a Cub fan I was shorter than Peanuts Lowery.  This is the best Cub team in my lifetime of miserable Cub fanhood. 

You've earned it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

Apropos of nothing, but I read this about 1 minute before Javier Baez sailed one into the stands.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 11, 2016, 12:13:38 PM

Apropos of nothing, but I read this about 1 minute before Javier Baez sailed one into the stands.

Am I watching the wrong game today?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: May 11, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
As Lou Brown once said, I think you can go get him now.