News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,776 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
As much as I'm enjoying this season, the best part is how much it's energized my Dad. The past couple of years, he's had to endure the loss of my Mom and elder abuse from my idiot brother.

I spent two weeks down there around Christmas, and I think it was good for both of our heads, but he's gotten really upbeat on the phone talking about these games, and along with has come getting back into his water volleyball team, reconnecting with his sister, hiring a maid service, and just plain doing positive things for himself.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 02, 2016, 03:37:35 PM
As much as I'm enjoying this season, the best part is how much it's energized my Dad. The past couple of years, he's had to endure the loss of my Mom and elder abuse from my idiot brother.

I spent two weeks down there around Christmas, and I think it was good for both of our heads, but he's gotten really upbeat on the phone talking about these games, and along with has come getting back into his water volleyball team, reconnecting with his sister, hiring a maid service, and just plain doing positive things for himself.

I like this post.
Hope it continues on a good path for your family.
(although I can't imagine what it must be like to be your father)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 02, 2016, 03:37:35 PM

There is a tendency in our culture to shelve or want to warehouse folks when they reach "a certain age".  It doesn't help when time starts to remove people who are close to them.  The easy way out is to withdraw and give in to self pity.  The stronger thing is to do what your dad is doing; muscle up and continue to live your life.  (I like how you capitalized "Dad")
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 02, 2016, 04:46:54 PM
(I like how you capitalized "Dad")

Both I and my idiot brother were adopted. I'll leave it at that.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:28 AM »
The only bad spell they've had was a 4-8 stretch which began with the Doubleheader sweep by the Padres. 

They've since gone 10-2 since then, so they've actually gone 4-over during the stretch that includes the 4-8 spell.

They should really take 4 out of 6 from Philadelphia and Atlanta but I won't be shocked (perhaps surprised) if they go 3-3.  They're due for another cooling off and it won't matter who they're playing when that happens (i.e. San Diego & Milwaukee).  I'll take a disappointing 3-3 against those schlubs if it means they take 2 of 3 from Washington but in any event even a 4-5 road trip won't be the end of the world.  That's the beauty of jumping out to a 9 game lead after 2 months. #managingexpectations
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 06, 2016, 06:16:28 AM
The only bad spell they've had was a 4-8 stretch which began with the Doubleheader sweep by the Padres. 

They've since gone 10-2 since then, so they've actually gone 4-over during the stretch that includes the 4-8 spell.

They should really take 4 out of 6 from Philadelphia and Atlanta but I won't be shocked (perhaps surprised) if they go 3-3.  They're due for another cooling off and it won't matter who they're playing when that happens (i.e. San Diego & Milwaukee).  I'll take a disappointing 3-3 against those schlubs if it means they take 2 of 3 from Washington but in any event even a 4-5 road trip won't be the end of the world.  That's the beauty of jumping out to a 9 game lead after 2 months. #managingexpectations

They lost two Arrieta starts on the homestand. That was the cooling off. I posit they go at least 6-3 against the NL Least.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 07:26:35 AM

They lost two Arrieta starts on the homestand. That was the cooling off. I posit they go at least 6-3 against the NL Least.

After which they come home and put the final boot to the necks of Pittsburgh and St. Louis.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »

I have to remind myself that they will not win every single game even if it does feel like it. When they actually lose it's really weird.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 06, 2016, 09:32:19 AM

I have to remind myself that they will not win every single game even if it does feel like it. When they actually lose it's really weird.

The problem is that they have the advantage in pretty much every single game except for the time Kyle Hendricks was matched up against Madison Bumgarner so every loss is an upset. Even when you know there's no logical reason whatsoever to be irritated by going 8-2 on a homestand, I mean, shit, they should have won Arrieta/Kazmir and Arrieta/Ray matchups. That's weird.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: June 06, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 09:40:54 AM

The problem is that they have the advantage in pretty much every single game except for the time Kyle Hendricks was matched up against Madison Bumgarner so every loss is an upset. Even when you know there's no logical reason whatsoever to be irritated by going 8-2 on a homestand, I mean, shit, they should have won Arrieta/Kazmir and Arrieta/Ray matchups. That's weird.

There are going to be games where the other pitcher has a huge game. Those happened on the only two games the Cubs lost.

But that's where we are. Players on opposing teams can't beat the Cubs without somebody having a Herculean game*.

*OK, the bullpen shit the bed in the Dodger game, but the Cubs only got one goddamn hit in that game.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
I think what we're all trying to say here is : Baseball.

Edit: Baseball.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: June 06, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »

The Cubs have been (Vegas) underdogs five times:

4/19 at St. Louis (Hammel vs. Garcia) - W, 2-1
4/20 at St. Louis (Hendricks vs. Martinez) - L, 5-3
5/2 at Pittsburgh (Hammel vs. Cole) - W, 7-2
5/6 vs. Washington (Lackey vs. Scherzer) - W, 8-6
5/22 at San Francisco (Hendricks vs. Bumgarner) - L, 1-0

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 06, 2016, 12:31:34 PM

The Cubs have been (Vegas) underdogs five times:

4/19 at St. Louis (Hammel vs. Garcia) - W, 2-1
4/20 at St. Louis (Hendricks vs. Martinez) - L, 5-3
5/2 at Pittsburgh (Hammel vs. Cole) - W, 7-2
5/6 vs. Washington (Lackey vs. Scherzer) - W, 8-6
5/22 at San Francisco (Hendricks vs. Bumgarner) - L, 1-0

So they definitely play down to their competition, or else they'd be 50-5. #FireMadden.

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: June 06, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
I agree with all that's been said today. The incredible start has us spoiled. We think that we should win every game and when we don't we get upset, even though shit happens in a 162-game season. I'll admit I look at most games and fully EXPECT a blowout. Yesterday was a prime example. Arrieta on the hill at home against a shitty AZ team. To see we lost by a run to them pissed me off, but then I realized we'll prob go 7-2 or 6-3 on the trip w/o most of our players still getting hot.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: June 06, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
As much fun as this season is, I still find myself leaving the moment and thinking about next year, when Contreras, Almora and Schwarber get added to this squad.

That's a dumb thing to do. Don't anybody else do it.

This is the best Cubs team in any of our lifetimes. Drink in in every second.
TIME TO POST!