News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,782 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #435 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
Heck, Cole Hamels was the prize piece of the last two years and he netted:

Jerad Eickhoff (never even ranked)
Jorge Alfaro, AA Catcher, highest ranking was #31
Jake Thompson, roughly about the same caliber of prospect as Duane Underwood
Nick Williams, outfielder ranked about as highly as Billy McKinney
Matt Harrison (salary dump)

So a top tier starting pitcher under a below market value contract who was the biggest fish in the sea for two offseasons netted one top 50 prospect, another 70/80ish ranked OF, two middle of the rotations starter prospects, and the Phillies had to eat Matt Harrison's salary to get Texas to give up those guys.

You're telling me a relief pitcher is going to net a prospect package better than that? Because if not, Albert Almora would seem like a pretty damn good get for the Yankees.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: June 07, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
Papelbon was the best reliever traded at last year's deadline (and he's not as good or as young as Miller so Miller would undoubtedly get a bigger return) and the Nats got him for their organizational equivalent of Pen's beloved Ryan Williams.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: June 07, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
So we're sold on Tim Anderson then? I'm just trying to keep up.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 09:54:54 AM

So a top tier starting pitcher under a below market value contract who was the biggest fish in the sea for two offseasons netted one top 50 prospect, another 70/80ish ranked OF, two middle of the rotations starter prospects, and the Phillies had to eat Matt Harrison's salary to get Texas to give up those guys.

You're telling me a relief pitcher is going to net a prospect package better than that? Because if not, Albert Almora would seem like a pretty damn good get for the Yankees.

Counterpoint: Shelby Miller

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: June 07, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 07, 2016, 09:57:57 AM
So we're sold on Tim Anderson then? I'm just trying to keep up.

Next Alex Garciaparra.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: June 07, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »

Since it's Sterling and Hoyer negotiating, by the end of it all, I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees wind up being giddy over getting Vogelbach. They do always get glassy-eyed over LH power bats.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: June 07, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 07, 2016, 09:23:49 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 08:31:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 08:27:42 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 08:23:49 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 04:25:34 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 06, 2016, 03:54:04 PM
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Say, anybody know how Almora's WAR stacks up against Andrew Miller's?

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.

Scout Fork is now GM Fork. Because yeah the response to having bad expensive old outfielders certainly wouldn't be "replace them with cheap young outfielders" and the Yankees aren't a franchise with the money to pay guys to not play for them. No way.

If they're shopping in the Cubs farm system, do you seriously think Almora is anywhere on their list? If he is, he's after Contreras, Underwood, Blackburn and Torres at the very least.

I think if Almora is better than whatever they have in the pipeline in CF then yes, they're probably looking at him. That is how this works

If we're going by what the Yankees have in their pipeline, then shit, send them Murton.

I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.

Oh, nothing but two seemingly diametrically-opposed notions in sucessive posts, my god it's nearly taken my breath away, beginning with some Matt Harvey-sized Forkperbole: A) Yankees have no need Almora, he's down their list etc. and then B) The Yankees minor league outfield depth is so thin that Matt Murton would be an improvement, they'd happily take him.

I need to sit down.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: June 07, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 07, 2016, 10:29:57 AM
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.

Scout Fork is now GM Fork. Because yeah the response to having bad expensive old outfielders certainly wouldn't be "replace them with cheap young outfielders" and the Yankees aren't a franchise with the money to pay guys to not play for them. No way.

If they're shopping in the Cubs farm system, do you seriously think Almora is anywhere on their list? If he is, he's after Contreras, Underwood, Blackburn and Torres at the very least.

I think if Almora is better than whatever they have in the pipeline in CF then yes, they're probably looking at him. That is how this works

If we're going by what the Yankees have in their pipeline, then shit, send them Murton.

Oh, nothing but two seemingly diametrically-opposed notions in sucessive posts, my god it's nearly taken my breath away, beginning with some Matt Harvey-sized Forkperbole: A) Yankees have no need Almora, he's down their list etc. and then B) The Yankees minor league outfield depth is so thin that Matt Murton would be an improvement, they'd happily take him.

I need to sit down.

Their entire farm system is putrid. But they just happen to have greater needs than center field.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: June 07, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »

I need to sit down.

I ... think Fork is saying that Almora is a gem the Cubs don't need to part with to get what they want from the Yankees.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: June 07, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 11:01:49 AM

I need to sit down.

Their entire farm system is putrid. But they just happen to have greater needs than center field.

The organizational health of the Cubs is clearly better, but here are 2 sites that ranked the Yankees' system as better than the Cubs' system. I don't pretend to know that much about the Yankees' farm system, as there are 30 teams and knowing the depth of one system is enough, let alone 29 others, but people who write about it claim the Yankees' system isn't "putrid"
https://mlbreports.com/prospects/2016-mlb-farm-system-rankings/
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/4/2/11333890/minor-league-baseball-farm-system-rankings-for-2016

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: June 07, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 07, 2016, 11:32:20 AM

I need to sit down.

I ... think Fork is saying that Almora is a gem the Cubs don't need to part with to get what they want from the Yankees.

maybe that was what his second statement indicated, but that completely contradicts his first post, which basically said the Yankees would refuse to negotiate unless the Cubs gave up one of their prospects that's better than Almora.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 10:09:16 AM

Since it's Sterling and Hoyer negotiating, by the end of it all, I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees wind up being giddy over getting Vogelbach. They do always get glassy-eyed over LH power bats.

Who is Sterling? Does Brian Cashman know about this?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 09:57:49 AM
Papelbon was the best reliever traded at last year's deadline (and he's not as good or as young as Miller so Miller would undoubtedly get a bigger return) and the Nats got him for their organizational equivalent of Pen's beloved Ryan Williams.

The Red Sox got a pretty good haul for Miller when they traded him at the deadline in 2014 (when he was a FA after the season).

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 11:44:31 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on June 07, 2016, 11:32:20 AM

I need to sit down.

maybe that was what his second statement indicated, but that completely contradicts his first post, which basically said the Yankees would refuse to negotiate unless the Cubs gave up one of their prospects that's better than Almora.

I also don't think Almora is the guy who is going to make Yankee front office people's nether regions tingly. A glove guy with no power is something they don't usually pursue.
TIME TO POST!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 07, 2016, 09:59:08 AM

Counterpoint: Shelby Miller

Well, the genius couldn't just give Dansby Swanson away.