News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,788 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #660 on: July 13, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2016, 10:29:50 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 13, 2016, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 13, 2016, 10:20:34 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2016, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 13, 2016, 08:28:17 AM
Honestly, why can't the team with the best record have home field advantage in the World Series?

The All Star Game shouldn't matter. Why does it have to matter? All anyone really cares about is the Home Run Derby.

Yeah if you're 12 years old or younger...

So you actually like the exhibition game? I like baseball, so therefore I like the game, but I don't think it's necessary.

I used to like the HR Derby when I was in Little League.

Now I don't really care for any of it except for the Futures Game.

I'm sure ESPN will drive me to hate the Futures Game in 10 years, too.

Chuck D. summed up my feelings more succinctly than I could.

The Futures Game is cool.  All of that other stuff just serves to remind me that there's no real baseball all week, which I find particularly vexing in seasons in which the Cubs are good.

I don't even really care about the futures game now that basically any Cubs prospect I would have cared about is already on the big league squad. I know Eloy kicked ass in the game and probably got robbed of the MVP because of Red Sox Hype about Yoan Moncada, but I'm pretty sure Eloy will have a bright future as Not-A-Cub.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: July 13, 2016, 10:58:24 AM »
Honestly, why can't the team with the best record have home field advantage in the World Series?

The All Star Game shouldn't matter. Why does it have to matter? All anyone really cares about is the Home Run Derby.

I happened to be awake when it began this year, so I tuned in and tried to watch it.  I got around half-way through the second batter (Trumbo?) and stopped.  What a completely fucking pointless exercise.  Plus, Berman.  Sheesh.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: July 13, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 13, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

I happened to be awake when it began this year, so I tuned in and tried to watch it.  I got around half-way through the second batter (Trumbo?) and stopped.  What a completely fucking pointless exercise.  Plus, Berman.  Sheesh.

Had the sound off, kind of half-watched some of it while I was doing other stuff. The best part was probably what we didn't see, which was HS players going at it during the commercial breaks.

The winner, not only of the HS derby, but of the "most kickass name in baseball" derby was Nick Brueser, pronounced "Bruiser".

sorry Stew, he's committed to Stanford.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: July 13, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2016, 10:26:40 AM

So you actually like the exhibition game? I like baseball, so therefore I like the game, but I don't think it's necessary.

My comment was directed at your "all anyone cares about is the Home Run Derby" remark, the HRD being something I care about less than the All-Star Game, which I don't care about at all (though I confess to enjoying KB taking Sling Blade yard).  I'm annoyed that there's no real baseball until Friday and was just pointing that any grown-assed man who cares about the Home Run Derby should go play Pokemon Go until they walk into traffic and get run over.

Wait, let's get one thing straight...I don't care about the HRD. I like the HRD. I think the HRD is more entertaining than the exhibition game and therefore more interesting than the game itself.

I positive your Pokemon Go Hueying-hate, though. I'd vote for it for president.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 13, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
Quote from: Tonker on July 13, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

I happened to be awake when it began this year, so I tuned in and tried to watch it.  I got around half-way through the second batter (Trumbo?) and stopped.  What a completely fucking pointless exercise.  Plus, Berman.  Sheesh.

Had the sound off, kind of half-watched some of it while I was doing other stuff. The best part was probably what we didn't see, which was HS players going at it during the commercial breaks.

The winner, not only of the HS derby, but of the "most kickass name in baseball" derby was Nick Brueser, pronounced "Bruiser".

sorry Stew, he's committed to Stanford.
Bruiser...Stanfoo...grumble...mumble
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: July 13, 2016, 11:46:22 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 13, 2016, 08:36:53 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 13, 2016, 08:13:13 AM
Quote from: flannj on July 12, 2016, 10:35:05 PM
I hate Bud Selig.

Fuck Selig.

Cubs in 6.

I heard a caller mention something about the 4 games in AL parks. He said, if it gets to game 7, that means the Cubs will have been able to put out an optimized batting order 4 games, as opposed to 3, and that may help them since I believe most of us agree the Cubs probably have the best lineup and great depth.

Also, 4 games of Schwarber

I'm sure this is referencing Boers and Bernstein, but it's more fun to picture random Chicagoans cold-calling you out of the white pages to TALK SOME SPORTZ.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: July 13, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »

My comment was directed at your "all anyone cares about is the Home Run Derby" remark, the HRD being something I care about less than the All-Star Game, which I don't care about at all (though I confess to enjoying KB taking Sling Blade yard).  I'm annoyed that there's no real baseball until Friday and was just pointing that any grown-assed man who cares about the Home Run Derby should go play Pokemon Go until they walk into traffic and get run over.

In the past I've been annoyed about no real baseball for 4 days as well.
But this year it seems like the Cubs could really use the break (as well as some of us).
So I'm okay with it and I'll just drink with the TV on reruns of Star Trek TNG instead.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: July 13, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »
Quote from: flannj on July 13, 2016, 12:51:44 PM

My comment was directed at your "all anyone cares about is the Home Run Derby" remark, the HRD being something I care about less than the All-Star Game, which I don't care about at all (though I confess to enjoying KB taking Sling Blade yard).  I'm annoyed that there's no real baseball until Friday and was just pointing that any grown-assed man who cares about the Home Run Derby should go play Pokemon Go until they walk into traffic and get run over.

But this year it seems like the Cubs could really use the break (as well as some of us).
So I'm okay with it and I'll just drink with the TV on reruns of Star Trek TNG instead.

Whole series is on Netflix, Grandpa.

I'm usually grateful for the ASB, especially this year, and I can't remember the last All Star Game I watched for more than maybe an inning. I liked the Derby a lot better during the Sammy/Bonds era, but to Huey's point I was 12 back then.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: July 13, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

I'm usually grateful for the ASB, especially this year, and I can't remember the last All Star Game I watched for more than maybe an inning. I liked the Derby a lot better during the Sammy/Bonds era, but to Huey's point I was 12 back then.

It's more authentic with the commercial interruptions, Sonny.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: July 13, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
Quote from: flannj on July 13, 2016, 01:19:18 PM

The first copies of Star Wars that I ever had were ones my grandma recorded for me one week when there was a marathon on TV because this was that weird early 90s period when, believe it or not, it was actually kind of hard to find copies of Star Wars. I watched them endlessly for about 4 years before I got the special edition VHS tapes for Christmas one year (again from Grandma). To this day I still kind of miss the old early 90s commercials whenever I watch Star Wars. Also, my Grandma kicks ass.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: July 13, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2016, 01:25:25 PM

The first copies of Star Wars that I ever had were ones my grandma recorded for me one week when there was a marathon on TV because this was that weird early 90s period when, believe it or not, it was actually kind of hard to find copies of Star Wars. I watched them endlessly for about 4 years before I got the special edition VHS tapes for Christmas one year (again from Grandma). To this day I still kind of miss the old early 90s commercials whenever I watch Star Wars. Also, my Grandma kicks ass.

I taped all kinds of shit in the early '80s, mostly sports (though some movies).  The 1985 NCAA Men's Championship inn which Villanova upset Georgetown, the Cubs' Opening Days in both 1984 and 1985 (the latter which occurred the day after the 'Nova upset...the VCR was getting quite a workout that week), and about 10 of the regular season Bears games in 1985, as well as both playoff games and the Super Bowls....anyway, as I typically was watching these events while I recorded them, I was in the practice of very diligently hitting "pause" whenever there was a commercial break, and then I would resume the recording of the said event as soon as the action came back on because if I were to re-watch these games (which, come to think of it, I don't think I ever did) who the fuck wants to sit through commercials?  Little did I realize, at the time, that I was excising some Americana gold that I'd have enjoyed almost as much as the events themselves 30 years later.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: July 13, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 13, 2016, 01:44:50 PM

I taped all kinds of shit in the early '80s, mostly sports (though some movies).  The 1985 NCAA Men's Championship inn which Villanova upset Georgetown, the Cubs' Opening Days in both 1984 and 1985 (the latter which occurred the day after the 'Nova upset...the VCR was getting quite a workout that week), and about 10 of the regular season Bears games in 1985, as well as both playoff games and the Super Bowls....anyway, as I typically was watching these events while I recorded them, I was in the practice of very diligently hitting "pause" whenever there was a commercial break, and then I would resume the recording of the said event as soon as the action came back on because if I were to re-watch these games (which, come to think of it, I don't think I ever did) who the fuck wants to sit through commercials?  Little did I realize, at the time, that I was excising some Americana gold that I'd have enjoyed almost as much as the events themselves 30 years later.

This is the Hueyist thing ever.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
Quote from: flannj on July 13, 2016, 02:40:45 PM

You really have to picture him in the TRON suit as he does this.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2016, 03:02:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2016, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: flannj on July 13, 2016, 02:40:45 PM

You really have to picture him in the TRON suit as he does this.

and losing his shit when he takes it off pause only to tape a Chevy commercial.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
When I was a kid, my brother's best friend had a MASSIVE bootleg video collection, which included the entire Star Wars trilogy. (It was also from this massive collection that I saw my first boobies, in a forgotten movie that was on the same tape as the old cartoon Hobbit). I kept those old tapes throughout my teenage years, until, like SK, I got the trilogy on vhs as a gift in the late 90's. I also remember discovering "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" as a tween - that was a lot of fun to watch, too. Star Wars got me through a really tough time in my life, when my mom remarried and moved us to West Virginia, 6 hours away from home and friends.
M'lady.