News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,797 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #645 on: July 08, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 08, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 11:03:21 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 10:54:45 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2015, 10:49:43 AM
Quote from: Oleg on July 08, 2015, 10:16:28 AM
I know that FIP is kind of on the outs in some SABR circles but the Cubs still have 4 starters in the top 25 in the NL.  That seems pretty good.

Of course The Pirates have 3 in the top 10.

For all the bitching we've done about the periodic struggles of Lester & Hendricks, for the rest of this season, there aren't many NL rotations I'd take over the Cubs.

Definitely the Nationals, and probably the Mets although Exploding Arm Syndrome is always a concern.

The Dodgers have an amazing top two, but not sure if I trust Anderson & Bolsinger to keep it up.

Cole is a flat out stud, but Burnett is due to regress and Locke & Worley are just guys.

As for the Cardinals, Martinez has pitched 104, 108 and 100 innings the last 3 years, and he's already at 100 this year. Wacha has been stretched out a bit more but still the same general issue. And fuck John Lackey on general principle.

I've never really been worried about Jon Lester long term. Hendricks scares me and will probably scare me every time he ever pitches because his stuff is just so hittable when he's off.  He's still been good more often than not so I'm sure the amount of bitching about him will always be disproportionate to the actual number of bad days he has. The biggest concern has been the revolving #5 spot of Wood/4 Innings of Wada/Clayton Richards, etc. but I think we're all fairly confident they're going to trade for a starter to fill that spot, no?

I think they'll trade for a guy. Also, every team deals with crap at the 5th starter spot - I'm guessing the list of teams with 5 SPs with 1+ WAR so far is about the same size as Chuck's GM datase.

Yeah, every fanbase thinks their team's 5th starter is garbage, most of them are right. They can make the playoffs with the rotation as is, I'd just like to see them get a guy like Kazmir if possible so that Kyle Hendricks is not part of the four man playoff rotation.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.  (referring back to the 3 pitcher rotation days)

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #646 on: July 08, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 08, 2015, 12:30:42 PM
Quote from: CBStew on July 08, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 11:03:21 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 10:54:45 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2015, 10:49:43 AM
Quote from: Oleg on July 08, 2015, 10:16:28 AM
I know that FIP is kind of on the outs in some SABR circles but the Cubs still have 4 starters in the top 25 in the NL.  That seems pretty good.

Of course The Pirates have 3 in the top 10.

For all the bitching we've done about the periodic struggles of Lester & Hendricks, for the rest of this season, there aren't many NL rotations I'd take over the Cubs.

Definitely the Nationals, and probably the Mets although Exploding Arm Syndrome is always a concern.

The Dodgers have an amazing top two, but not sure if I trust Anderson & Bolsinger to keep it up.

Cole is a flat out stud, but Burnett is due to regress and Locke & Worley are just guys.

As for the Cardinals, Martinez has pitched 104, 108 and 100 innings the last 3 years, and he's already at 100 this year. Wacha has been stretched out a bit more but still the same general issue. And fuck John Lackey on general principle.

I've never really been worried about Jon Lester long term. Hendricks scares me and will probably scare me every time he ever pitches because his stuff is just so hittable when he's off.  He's still been good more often than not so I'm sure the amount of bitching about him will always be disproportionate to the actual number of bad days he has. The biggest concern has been the revolving #5 spot of Wood/4 Innings of Wada/Clayton Richards, etc. but I think we're all fairly confident they're going to trade for a starter to fill that spot, no?

I think they'll trade for a guy. Also, every team deals with crap at the 5th starter spot - I'm guessing the list of teams with 5 SPs with 1+ WAR so far is about the same size as Chuck's GM datase.

Yeah, every fanbase thinks their team's 5th starter is garbage, most of them are right. They can make the playoffs with the rotation as is, I'd just like to see them get a guy like Kazmir if possible so that Kyle Hendricks is not part of the four man playoff rotation.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.  (referring back to the 3 pitcher rotation days)

I like that Steve Rain was so shitty and obscure that if you search his name on B-Ref he's the second name that pops up, after Steve Trout (because his nickname was Rainbow).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
Can't find the actual besmirching quote, and am too lazy to start a Montero Splooge Thread so I'm a just gonna leave this here:

FYELI
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Dan

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: July 09, 2015, 12:48:21 AM »
Hey everybody,
I've been away from this message board for about 6 years. What'd I miss?
Except for the fact in the Ted Lilly one that you can see the baseball in his hand behind the knife. I don't know about the first one but I'm be very, very surprised if the second picture is an actual ad.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »
Quote from: Dan on July 09, 2015, 12:48:21 AM
Hey everybody,

The visibility is ok.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:22 AM »
Since Jorge came back Saturday they've scored 5 or more runs in 4 of the 6 games. Sure, they faced some crap pitchers in Lyons and Cooney but then they scored 5 off of Wacha. Hoping they can at least get to Quintana and Rodon this weekend and make the Sox use their shitty middle relief, then hopefully Lester can beat Sale 1-0.

Either way it does feel like the lineup is just more dangerous when Jorge is in there, even if he hasn't done a lot of the damage himself. Pitchers certainly respect him, the lineup is deeper, and they have Denorfia or Coghlan suddenly as their top pinch hitter and not Mike Baxter or Mack Seizure.

Also Addison had a lot of encouraging at bats the last two games, driving a lot of balls hard the other way.

Joyful positives. 
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: July 09, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »
Hey everybody,

Chuck's still wrong.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
Hey everybody,

Not now, Paul.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
Hey everybody,

The Ricky Renteria, Dale Sveum and Mike Quade eras?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
Hey everybody,

Did you get time off for good behavior?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: July 11, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Okay we've had a heartbreaking nut-punch loss followed by a frustratingly slap-dick loss yesterday and now they face Sale.  

Doom?

Fuck that.  I'm going on record as saying they're gonna pummel the Machinist today.  I know this makes no sense but I give zero shits.

WHO'S WITH ME?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: July 11, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 11, 2015, 09:29:19 AM
Okay we've had a heartbreaking nut-punch loss followed by a frustratingly slap-dick loss yesterday and now they face Sale.  

Doom?

Fuck that.  I'm going on record as saying they're gonna pummel the Machinist today.  I know this makes no sense but I give zero shits.

WHO'S WITH ME?

I'm with you.

The BP cup is as good as ours!
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: July 11, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »

Doom?

WHO'S WITH ME?

Psychotic but absolutely right!
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: July 11, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »

Doom?

WHO'S WITH ME?

Ignorant TV executives aren't broadcasting this in my area!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #659 on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 11, 2015, 02:06:34 PM

Doom?

WHO'S WITH ME?

Ignorant TV executives aren't broadcasting this in my area!

Consider yourself lucky.