News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,692 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2015, 03:26:01 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2015, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 26, 2015, 03:17:54 PM
Does anybody really want to imagine the team next year without Castro, Baez, or Soler?

Sure. It's not like they'll just disappear -- someone would fairly valuable will have come back in their place.

I can make myself pretty damn excited about this team with either Castro or Baez at second base next year so trading one of them for pitching is perfectly acceptable to me. Losing Soler would be harder just because my last memory of him is a postseason/late September run where he seemed to be putting it all together and also he's huge and terrifying and the thought of Rizzo/Bryant/Schwarber/Soler all at the height of their powers together causes so much blood to rush downstairs that I feel faint.

But for a big enough return (and I would think if they move Soler it's because they're also signing an Upton/Heyward/Cespedes type to replace him) I could live with that, too.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2015, 03:26:01 PM
Does anybody really want to imagine the team next year without Castro, Baez, or Soler?

Sure. It's not like they'll just disappear -- someone would fairly valuable will have come back in their place.

I can make myself pretty damn excited about this team with either Castro or Baez at second base next year so trading one of them for pitching is perfectly acceptable to me. Losing Soler would be harder just because my last memory of him is a postseason/late September run where he seemed to be putting it all together and also he's huge and terrifying and the thought of Rizzo/Bryant/Schwarber/Soler all at the height of their powers together causes so much blood to rush downstairs that I feel faint.

But for a big enough return (and I would think if they move Soler it's because they're also signing an Upton/Heyward/Cespedes type to replace him) I could live with that, too.

I really think the Cubs are going to be hesitant to go long-term on any position players (unless they can get them for a steal), simply because the pipeline is full of them. If anything, I see them repeating the Fowler exercise of trading for a veteran OF with a year or two left on his deal.

I will now sit back and light a cragar while waiting for events to prove me completely wrong.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »

Objectively, Soler is the player I'm most ok with them trading, if only because he doesn't stay healthy and I could see that becoming a point of serious frustration down the line.
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 26, 2015, 04:15:57 PM

Objectively, Soler is the player I'm most ok with them trading, if only because he doesn't stay healthy and I could see that becoming a point of serious frustration down the line.

I'm back to the the player I'm most ok with them trading being Baez.  Castro is second on the list.

Biggest offseason wish is that somehow they get Schwarber ready for 120 games at catcher. Having left field available would be huge. Upgrading from Montero's bat would be huger.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2015, 09:55:41 AM »
Since we're not really admitting anything, in order to stay in the good graces of the mods, I'll move the Contreras discussion here.

I'm hesitant to trade the guy because (a) I don't think Schwarber will be a long-term full-time catcher and (b) I don't see any long-term answers at catcher becoming available via free agency or trade in the next year or two. Whereas the Cubs could be looking at a surplus in the infield and possibly the outfield, I don't see that being the case at catcher.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 27, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
Since we're not really admitting anything, in order to stay in the good graces of the mods, I'll move the Contreras discussion here.

I'm hesitant to trade the guy because (a) I don't think Schwarber will be a long-term full-time catcher and (b) I don't see any long-term answers at catcher becoming available via free agency or trade in the next year or two. Whereas the Cubs could be looking at a surplus in the infield and possibly the outfield, I don't see that being the case at catcher.

Unless Contreras is the deal-breaker for getting Ross from the Padres.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »
I want the Cubs to sign David Price.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 27, 2015, 10:16:27 AM

And trade for Carrasco or Ross.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »

Sounds great, but at some point they need to pay Jake too. Think the Cubs can afford 3 $20+million pitchers?
TIME TO POST!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 27, 2015, 10:22:05 AM

Sounds great, but at some point they need to pay Jake too. Think the Cubs can afford 3 $20+million pitchers?

Do you want the Chuck answer or the realistic answer? The latter is probably no, unless the deals are backloaded to 2020 and beyond.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 27, 2015, 10:23:09 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 27, 2015, 10:22:05 AM

Do you want the Chuck answer or the realistic answer? The latter is probably no, unless the deals are backloaded to 2020 and beyond.

Afford? Yes. That much in breakable arms? Probably not. The date when salaries become a problem for the Cubs is about 2019, when many of these guys hit Arb 2.  (Rizzo is a FA in 2020 and Lester's payday goes down by $7.5mm that same year).

Funny.  That's the year they get new TV money.  Big question is: How much TV money will there be in 2019? Still huge like the Dodgers? Or will streaming take a big bite out?

Let's see how it plays out.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Interesting column from BP Wrigleyville.  Short: No, Price. Yes, Heyward. Trade, Soler.

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/10/27/theo-epstein-language-and-the-shape-of-the-cubs-offseason/

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 27, 2015, 10:48:00 AM
Interesting column from BP Wrigleyville.  Short: No, Price. Yes, Heyward. Trade, Soler.

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/10/27/theo-epstein-language-and-the-shape-of-the-cubs-offseason/

That 4 paragraph introduction is painful.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 27, 2015, 10:52:12 AM

Yeah, I was wondering where the writer landed on dolphin sex.
TIME TO POST!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 27, 2015, 10:52:12 AM

This guy fancies himself some hot shit.