News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,717 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
Welp.

QuoteDavid Price: Two agents for free-agent starting pitchers predict that Price will sign with the Cubs. An executive who knows Price says that the Cubs are his first choice. It's all talk until the contract is signed, particularly when the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals and Red Sox all could be in the mix.

Also.

QuoteOn his podcast, ESPN.com's Buster Olney said that he has heard that the Cubs are "heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy favorites" to sign Price in free agency.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2015, 09:50:55 AM
Welp.

QuoteDavid Price: Two agents for free-agent starting pitchers predict that Price will sign with the Cubs. An executive who knows Price says that the Cubs are his first choice. It's all talk until the contract is signed, particularly when the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals and Red Sox all could be in the mix.

Also.

QuoteOn his podcast, ESPN.com's Buster Olney said that he has heard that the Cubs are "heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy favorites" to sign Price in free agency.

This makes sense, to me, if it means they're not worried about locking up Arrieta after next year which, as strange as that sounds, is just the type of coldblooded, objective move that would get me even more excited about this front office were that to come to pass.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 06, 2015, 09:56:18 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2015, 09:50:55 AM
Welp.

Also.

This makes sense, to me, if it means they're not worried about locking up Arrieta after next year which, as strange as that sounds, is just the type of coldblooded, objective move that would get me even more excited about this front office were that to come to pass.

This is pretty much exactly how last offseason started with Lester, so God I hope it plays out the same way.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
I'm still not sure that $200MM+ for Price is the best use of resources but if Jepstink decides it is, I'll shut up and enjoy the dumb ensuing debate about who starts Opening Day.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM
I'm still not sure that $200MM+ for Price is the best use of resources but if Jepstink decides it is, I'll shut up and enjoy the dumb ensuing debate about who starts Opening Day.

My guess is they wouldn't put all of their eggs into the Price basket. I doubt they'd sign him if they weren't assured that there would still be some flexibility in future offseasons. Obviously not a 200 million dollar contract added every year, but I feel like they wouldn't commit everything to Price if they knew they were fucked if it fails.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
If they did sign Price, I'd still want them to get another starting pitcher in a trade. They wouldn't have to go get a Tyson Ross or Corrasco that would cost them a guy like Soler, but trading whoever in the minor for a quality, cost-controlled #3 type would be good. Whatever they do I'd like them to be in a situation where Hammel and Hendricks are competing for one spot in the rotation, rather than counting on both of them.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 06, 2015, 11:01:58 AM
If they did sign Price, I'd still want them to get another starting pitcher in a trade. They wouldn't have to go get a Tyson Ross or Corrasco that would cost them a guy like Soler, but trading whoever in the minor for a quality, cost-controlled #3 type would be good. Whatever they do I'd like them to be in a situation where Hammel and Hendricks are competing for one spot in the rotation, rather than counting on both of them.

Unless one of them goes the other way in the trade for said pitcher.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »
If the front three are Lester, Arrieta & Price, why deal for a fourth starter? Why not a low-money deal for another free agent?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 06, 2015, 11:12:54 AM
If the front three are Lester, Arrieta & Price, why deal for a fourth starter? Why not a low-money deal for another free agent?

Because a rotation isn't like taking an average. They would ideally still have 5 capable starters, regardless of how good the top 3 are.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2015, 11:16:15 AM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 06, 2015, 11:12:54 AM

Because a rotation isn't like taking an average. They would ideally still have 5 capable starters, regardless of how good the top 3 are.

And it would be nice to balance out the three expensive vets (Jake gonna get paid in arbitration whether they work out an extension or not) with some cost-controlled, talented young guys at the bottom.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 06, 2015, 11:12:39 AM

If Hammel can be used to get anything that's notjasonhammel that'd be good enough for me.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Arrieta
Lester
Price
Wei-Yin Chen
Hendricks/Pierce Johnson/Hammel
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 06, 2015, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 06, 2015, 11:12:39 AM

If Hammel can be used to get anything that's notjasonhammel that'd be good enough for me.

I reckon they should ride Hammel's inevitable first-half hot streak and then flip him at the deadline even though they're twenty games over .500 and obviously buyers.  Baltimore will give up something decent for him.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 06, 2015, 11:35:56 AM
Arrieta
Lester
Price
Wei-Yin Chen
Hendricks/Pierce Johnson/Hammel

I've wanted Chen for a long time but I doubt they would or should try to outbid the Yankees who are in hot pursuit.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM
That's easy.  The one who doesn't need Tommy John surgery.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)