News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,717 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 08, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
Quote from: Slaky on November 08, 2015, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 08, 2015, 07:45:59 AM
Lackey would hardly be my first choice, especially if he expects 3+ years on any contract. But he does have playoff experience and success, which can't be said of any Cubs pitchers save Lester.

Arrieta did throw a shut out in a one game playoff. Am I missing the point?

I guess the point is, he pitched other games after that and didn't look like himself. I'm not trying to say that he can't be relied upon, or trusted, but I wouldn't call the end result of his first go-round a success. I think he'll be more prepared next time, as last year he threw way, way more innings than ever before in his career. Still, it obviously wouldn't hurt to have a playoff-capable starter to bridge the gap between games in which Lester and Arrieta start.

I'm not shilling for Lackey btw. He's too old and past playoff success is not indicative of future playoff success.

Yay!  Kurt is back.  This is a load of gobbledygook.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 08, 2015, 02:33:14 PM
Quote from: Tonker on November 08, 2015, 02:29:09 PM
Lackey would hardly be my first choice, especially if he expects 3+ years on any contract. But he does have playoff experience and success, which can't be said of any Cubs pitchers save Lester.

I guess the point is, he pitched other games after that and didn't look like himself. I'm not trying to say that he can't be relied upon, or trusted, but I wouldn't call the end result of his first go-round a success. I think he'll be more prepared next time, as last year he threw way, way more innings than ever before in his career. Still, it obviously wouldn't hurt to have a playoff-capable starter to bridge the gap between games in which Lester and Arrieta start.

I'm not shilling for Lackey btw. He's too old and past playoff success is not indicative of future playoff success.

Okay, now I'm confused.

Focus more on the first part, big guy. Lackey's age could have an impact on how well he pitches later in a season.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 09, 2015, 08:51:35 AM

My favorite was when he sarcastically said "focus on the first part, big boy" to Tonk as though it was the Australian's fault that what Kurt said was gobbledygook and contradicted itself by the next paragraph.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 09, 2015, 08:59:46 AM

My favorite was when he sarcastically said "focus on the first part, big boy" to Tonk as though it was the Australian's fault that what Kurt said was gobbledygook and contradicted itself by the next paragraph.

If only all of that was in the form of a Photoshop, then maybe we would get it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 09, 2015, 09:04:16 AM

Yay!  Kurt is back.  This is a load of gobbledygook.

If only all of that was in the form of a Photoshop, then maybe we would get it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »

Grow up.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »

Hah. Yeah, I have no idea what I want from the Cubs this off season. Well, I know what I want - improved pitching to better their chances of winning again, but I have no idea how they should proceed with it. I don't envy Jebstein at all, because they will either be scrutinized heavily for spending too much on old pitching or for trading too much for young pitching.
M'lady.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »

Sorry, I apologize for coming across in a douchey way. I didn't call Tonker a "big boy," which would be tremendously condescending and assholeish, but I called him "big guy," and I can see where that might offend him. Not my intention.

I would prefer the Cubs get a pitcher with some success in the playoffs. I don't believe that past success automatically means future success, but it's still better than not knowing at all how a pitcher handles that kind of pressure. I especially don't trust in past success with a pitcher who is in his mid-to-late 30's.

Apologies for any goobledegook. Like I said previously, I don't envy the Cubs for having to make these kinds of decisions. I can see positives and negatives in many different choices, and if I'm posting about one of them that doesn't mean I'm advocating for it.
M'lady.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
Can we take a break from the over-sensitivity? 

Looking at not Kurt here.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 09, 2015, 10:32:32 AM

Sorry, I apologize for coming across in a douchey way. I didn't call Tonker a "big boy," which would be tremendously condescending and assholeish, but I called him "big guy," and I can see where that might offend him. Not my intention.

I would prefer the Cubs get a pitcher with some success in the playoffs. I don't believe that past success automatically means future success, but it's still better than not knowing at all how a pitcher handles that kind of pressure. I especially don't trust in past success with a pitcher who is in his mid-to-late 30's.

Apologies for any goobledegook. Like I said previously, I don't envy the Cubs for having to make these kinds of decisions. I can see positives and negatives in many different choices, and if I'm posting about one of them that doesn't mean I'm advocating for it.

The gobbledygook part is bolded.  This has nothing to do with Kurt but some sort of a weird idea that professional athletes who have played in front of thousands and tens of thousands of people most of their lives are somehow overcome with the pressure of the post-season.  More often than not, I think, two things contribute to a delta in post-season performance and regular season performance, randomness/small sample size and simply facing better competition.  Just get good pitchers and let the ducks fall into place.

Quote from: PenFoe on November 09, 2015, 10:35:15 AM

Fuck you.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 09, 2015, 10:38:44 AM

The gobbledygook part is bolded.  This has nothing to do with Kurt but some sort of a weird idea that professional athletes who have played in front of thousands and tens of thousands of people most of their lives are somehow overcome with the pressure of the post-season.  More often than not, I think, two things contribute to a delta in post-season performance and regular season performance, randomness/small sample size and simply facing better competition.  Just get good pitchers and let the ducks fall into place.

Fuck you.

'atta boy, fuckface.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 09, 2015, 10:39:32 AM

Fuck you.

'atta boy, fuckface.

Thanks for focusing on the important part of that post.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »

I would prefer the Cubs get a pitcher with some success in the playoffs.  

If nothing else, I think you're getting ridden for this sentiment which is defintiely gobbleygook.  

There's no such thing. James Shields had the nickname "Big Game" and he didn't do a thing in last year's postseason.  Jon Lester was masterful in 2 World Series games vs. The Cardinals in 2013, but has had some rough outings.  As we saw this year, in the very same postseason, Arrieta was dominant, and then not so much.

The greatest pitcher of his generation--Greg Maddux--supposedly couldn't pitch in big games, until he did, and won a World Series in 1995.

I actually swing the other way on the issue.  The fact that David Price has a 5.12 ERA in 63 postseason innings makes him more enticing to me, because for any and all good pitchers, that shit will work itself out because David Price is really, really good.  One of these years, Kershaw is likely to go off.  Conversely, you have Madison Bumgarner--who you can say has been nearly flawless in big games to date--and give him a few more postseason appearances and don't be surprised if he gets shelled once or twice.  

Just get good pitchers.  Period.  There's  no such as a "good postseason pitcher".  No pitcher's experience--both successful and unsuccessful--matters a whit.  A good pitcher will be both good and bad in the postseason, over time.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 09, 2015, 10:44:25 AM

If nothing else, I think you're getting ridden for this sentiment which is defintiely gobbleygook.  

There's no such thing. James Shields had the nickname "Big Game" and he didn't do a thing in last year's postseason.  Jon Lester was masterful in 2 World Series games vs. The Cardinals in 2013, but has had some rough outings.  As we saw this year, in the very same postseason, Arrieta was dominant, and then not so much.

The greatest pitcher of his generation--Greg Maddux--supposedly couldn't pitch in big games, until he did, and won a World Series in 1995.

I actually swing the other way on the issue.  The fact that David Price has a 5.12 ERA in 63 postseason innings makes him more enticing to me, because for any and all good pitchers, that shit will work itself out because David Price is really, really good.  One of these years, Kershaw is likely to go off.  Conversely, you have Madison Bumgarner--who you can say has been nearly flawless in big games to date--and give him a few more postseason appearances and don't be surprised if he gets shelled once or twice.  

Just get good pitchers.  Period.  There's  no such as a "good postseason pitcher".  No pitcher's experience--both successful and unsuccessful--matters a whit.  A good pitcher will be both good and bad in the postseason, over time.

Wasn't Lester that pitcher with success in the playoffs that they got?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 09, 2015, 10:44:25 AM

Six minutes too late. GOODPITCHERFACE!